Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2015, 09:32   #1
Team-BHP Support

Attn: BMWs with N47 engines (320d / 520d)

I came across this BMW service bulletin which seem to imply that timing chain tensioners might not be keeping up with the timing chain expanding/ extending in time leading to potential engine failure.

Might be worth printing this out and taking it to your dealer during the next service
10011540300.pdf
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2015, 09:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Attn: BMWs with N47 engines (320d / 520d)

It would be a good idea if some list could be compiled or a thread started on which engines available in India were non-interference types, so that one could rest assured on performance or failure of timing chain not leading to damage to engine.
Old 15th April 2017, 08:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Attn: BMWs with N47 engines (320d / 520d)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I came across this BMW service bulletin which seem to imply that timing chain tensioners might not be keeping up with the timing chain expanding/ extending in time leading to potential engine failure.

Might be worth printing this out and taking it to your dealer during the next service
Attachment 1359055
I was toying with the idea of picking up a used 3 series or an X1 and came across this issue as I started my research.

And given my budget this means that the model years that I am considering (2008 - 2012) would fall bang into the cars that we more problematic in this regard. Is there any information on how badly cars in India were affected and whether recalls were made?

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 16th April 2017, 12:22   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Is there any information on how badly cars in India were affected and whether recalls were made?
Even if BMW has this data, it would be tough to access it. I would suggest you shortlist a few cars, then check their engine types and see if this fix has been carried out on them. If not, it is best to take a printout of this document with the car to the service centre and take their opinion.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2017, 12:35   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Even if BMW has this data, it would be tough to access it. I would suggest you shortlist a few cars, then check their engine types and see if this fix has been carried out on them. If not, it is best to take a printout of this document with the car to the service centre and take their opinion.
Do you really think BMW will give a balanced opinion on this? I would factor in the cost of replacing the chain and tensioners as part of the deal and get this done!
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed