Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2016, 21:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Air-con Refrigerant: How much to fill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
I bought manifold gauge just for myself but seems all my friend circle is after me to get the top-up. I also did a thorough video while fine tuning A.C. on my Santro and the video should be available on YouTube in a next 2-3 days max.
Is this video up?

I would like to attempt this myself. What store sells a manifold gauge? How much freon should one buy?

The symptoms you have said seem to be in line with the problem I am facing, poor cooling during day time. The aircon works well in the morning. In fact, it brings down the temperature pretty quick that I can hear the system cutting out too when desired temperature has been reached. I can also hear a hissing sound through the vents. The air coming out of the vents is not as cold as it should be when the blower is maxed out.

In a climate control system, if you hit the Auto button, the system automatically decides the fan speed based on set and actual cabin temperature. The blower speed decrease as the cabin cools down. However; in my case, the blower remains at higher speeds most of the time and is struggling to bring down cabin temperature.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2016, 00:32   #17
BHPian

Yes, My car issues were solved by I, me, myself, I mean, i topped up mine as well many cars of friends.
So manifold purchase if calculated in terms of money is already utilized, however all friends carried in their own can of freon and I topped it up for free, and they took back the left over gas for later use.

In most cars I needed just little under half a can, as If AC doesn't starts its should have a empty Gas reservoir which indicated leakage somewhere.

However One friend brought his ALTO whoes AC was not cranking, and it consumed the full bottle I think 400-500 gms and AC worked perfectly for weeks.

However I've moved to NCR now so those guys will be missing their D.I.Y. friend a lot in their next topup.

Videos were posted on youtube, but due to my migration issues from a city I lived 35+ years and recent demise of father, I don't remember if I posted here.

here are the links

hope it helps.
ghpk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2016, 20:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hope it helps.
My hindi is not very good. I did understand most of it though its something I probably don't want to attempt on my own car.

Cooling has been bad on my Linea for a quite a long time. I had ignored it for over 6 months cause the weather was okay. With summer setting in early, the evening trip back home was not very comfortable, with the air conditioner struggling to bring down cabin temperature. I could also hear a hissing sound through the vents.

I took the car to a supposedly reputed car aircon service place called Aditya Car AC service. A popular name in my city. The chaps popped the hood, located the low pressure valve, which was right next to the compressor. The blue gauge registered around 70 Psi, which according to the technician, the system had very little gas left in it. My car is 4 years old. I am not sure how gas escaped from the system.

He topped up freon and also sent in some Usha sewing machine oil through the blue pipe, much against your advice. He assured me nothing would go wrong and its something they do often and for cars that have not seen a freon top up in a long time. I hope nothing goes for a toss in the long run. This brought down the reading on the gauge to 30 psi.

Cooling has improved a lot. Grill temperature went down to 4.8 degrees. It may have gone down lower had I left the gauge on the vent for longer. The aircon cools the cabin in no time. Being an automatic climate control system, the blower speed reduces as cabin temperature is reached. Earlier, it would stay at very high speeds cause the cabin was not cooling.

Thanks for sharing the videos.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2016, 14:11   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

For example, in the Scorpio (the Refresh model), the requirements are:
Refrigerant R134a - 830 +/- 20 grams
Compressor oil FD46XG - 150 ml
Sir is it surely around 830 grms for Scorpio.
Last to last year you know I got the Cooling Coil replaced at Manjit's workshop.
Last year My Compressor had failed and I had got a new one installed at Manjit's workshop. All through I felt it was cooling less.
This year in Feb 2016, the Gas had completely gone.
I took the Scorpo to Manjit Singh's workshop and the mechanic there diagnosed the leak to a small black rubber ring where the pipes of the Cooling coil come into the dashboard.
They changed it and filled 600 grms of GAS.
I still feel the car takes too long to cool, and the cooling is not enough to trigger the anti freeze switch to shut off the compressor.
I just saw this post and realized that maybe My AC system has less gas and so the cooling is not good enough.
I look forward to your advice and will act accordingly. Getting 200 Grms more gas is no big deal.
Styler
Old 24th March 2016, 15:24   #20
BHPian

Yes. For the size of AC on a Scorpio, the refrigerant gas level is anywhere from 750gm to 830 grams according to model.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2016, 03:33   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
My hindi is not very good. I did understand most of it though its something I probably don't want to attempt on my own car.

Cooling has been bad on my Linea for a quite a long time. I had ignored it for over 6 months cause the weather was okay. With summer setting in early, the evening trip back home was not very comfortable, with the air conditioner struggling to bring down cabin temperature. I could also hear a hissing sound through the vents.

I took the car to a supposedly reputed car aircon service place called Aditya Car AC service. A popular name in my city. The chaps popped the hood, located the low pressure valve, which was right next to the compressor. The blue gauge registered around 70 Psi, which according to the technician, the system had very little gas left in it. My car is 4 years old. I am not sure how gas escaped from the system.

He topped up freon and also sent in some Usha sewing machine oil through the blue pipe, much against your advice. He assured me nothing would go wrong and its something they do often and for cars that have not seen a freon top up in a long time. I hope nothing goes for a toss in the long run. This brought down the reading on the gauge to 30 psi.

Cooling has improved a lot. Grill temperature went down to 4.8 degrees. It may have gone down lower had I left the gauge on the vent for longer. The aircon cools the cabin in no time. Being an automatic climate control system, the blower speed reduces as cabin temperature is reached. Earlier, it would stay at very high speeds cause the cabin was not cooling.

Thanks for sharing the videos.
Thanks for the update, Actually I made the video in Hindi on purpose, as YouTube already has so many english video about what not for Car Air Conditioning, and there was not a single video done about this D.I.Y. stuff.

I know its tricky and one would not want to take Risk + invest in the equipment needed and most people don't have time to do this experiment.

Its nice to know that your car A.C. is fine now, please do share how much they charged you for top up.
ghpk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 10:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
please do share how much they charged you for top up.
I was charged Rs. 1400.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 16:42   #23
BHPian

Quote:

Cutting long post short, I myself filled Freon on 5 vehicles in last 7-10 days,
I bought manifold gauge just for myself but seems all my friend circle is after me to get the top-up. (as its cheaper and they have some confidence on my D.I.Y stuff)
I also did a thorough video while fine tuning A.C. on my Santro and the video should be available on YouTube in a next 2-3 days max.

Just to remind you again, don't fill OIL until its flushed, or pump more gas to get more cooling, you would end up with shortened compressor life this way for sure.
Excellent videos sir!

Very informative and inspiring. I am in Ghaziabad too and a strong proponent of everything DIY. Where did you buy the brass gauge set from and how much did you pay for the 450mL of Godrej 134A?
Old 30th April 2016, 03:47   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Excellent videos sir!

Very informative and inspiring. I am in Ghaziabad too and a strong proponent of everything DIY. Where did you buy the brass gauge set from and how much did you pay for the 450mL of Godrej 134A?
I bought manifold in Allahabad and not GZB for Rs.1100 approx
however you would need to buy "Quick Coupler Connector Adapter" to connect the manifold to your car gas terminal and costs Rs.500/- extra each.
So for measuring Low and High Pressure you need to spend Rs.1000 extra on these. See them here

134A was Rs.400 per can against MRP of Rs.700 last year.

but that investment is worth it, as it saves you from getting ripped by Car AC guys, and works well on Home/office split AC's too.
ghpk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2018, 11:49   #25
BHPian

Dear All

I have an issue with my car AC for a fair amount of time now.
The gas keeps leaking - have not been able to identify the leak - many tries by ASS.

Now, I am just on the lookout for anyone who will refill it for me - directly - no fancy machines - just the - can (~ 250 - 300 INR) plus labour charges. Total not more than INR 700

I used to know one person - his number is not working anymore
If anyone knows somebody - please share :(
I am in bangalore

Thank you
PM - B is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 20:13   #26
BHPian

Hello all,

Ecosport tdci 2013 63k kms

AC was cooling well intermittently, blew warm air at low speeds or while parked and idling. Condenser fan was working fine on visual inspection.

Went to an AC repair shop, the dude told me that AC oil has gone bad, there's air in the system and entire system needs to be evacuated and new gas to be filled. Showed me a hose (from the meter) that blew oil and pressured gas, said that's abnormal.

He proceeded to evacuate the system (not recovered) then took a big 10kg refrigerant can, connected it and turned it upside down. Checked AC cooling and that was all. When asked if he'd fill oil seperately, he replied that it has been recharged along with gas from the cylinder.

AFAIK oil has to be added separately cause I had seen that happen on my i10.

What do you all think? Do I need to be adding oil to that?

Last edited by Taha Mir : 24th April 2022 at 20:16.
Old 21st April 2023, 21:16   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taha Mir View Post
Hello all,

Ecosport tdci 2013 63k kms

When asked if he'd fill oil seperately, he replied that it has been recharged along with gas from the cylinder.

AFAIK oil has to be added separately cause I had seen that happen on my i10.

What do you all think? Do I need to be adding oil to that?
He lied.
Compressor oil needs to be added separately before adding any refrigerant in the system.

The actual quantity required depends on the make and type of repairs undertaken, if any
bikertillidie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2023, 14:01   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertillidie View Post
He lied.
Compressor oil needs to be added separately before adding any refrigerant in the system.

The actual quantity required depends on the make and type of repairs undertaken, if any
A year late but thank you, I had my compressor and ac clutch replaced at Ford for 45k rupees and it's been cool since then.
Taha Mir is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks