Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2015, 14:40   #1
BHPian

Rear window's motorised curtain broken - Now what?

On my recent road trip, a badly placed tissue paper box on the rear tray/hat tray, broke the flimsy plastic hinge on the motorised rear window curtain. It is the hinge that attaches the curtain to the rails mounted on the C-pillar, that go up and down. I tried to glue it with fevikwik, but the surface area is too small for it to work. Tried searching online for a replacement part/fix, but no avail, except for a gentleman from Canada, who seems to have lathed the part in Aluminium. I am not sure if the part is the same, as I am not registered there.

Anyone gone through the same predicament. I am sure Audi will suggest a full replacement of the curtain at some obnoxious price, which is why I am seeking suggestions here.
I can't seem to find the curtain part number to search in the online audi spares stores on the internet.

The online forum link is copied below if it is allowed. Else mods delete it.

http://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s...roken-2833890/

Last edited by riteshritesh : 2nd May 2015 at 14:41.
Old 2nd May 2015, 15:45   #2
BHPian

re: Rear window's motorised curtain broken - Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
On my recent road trip, a badly placed tissue paper box on the rear tray/hat tray, broke the flimsy plastic hinge on the motorised rear window curtain. It is the hinge that attaches the curtain to the rails mounted on the C-pillar, that go up and down. I tried to glue it with fevikwik, but the surface area is too small for it to work. Tried searching online for a replacement part/fix, but no avail, except for a gentleman from Canada, who seems to have lathed the part in Aluminium. I am not sure if the part is the same, as I am not registered there.

Anyone gone through the same predicament. I am sure Audi will suggest a full replacement of the curtain at some obnoxious price, which is why I am seeking suggestions here.
I can't seem to find the curtain part number to search in the online audi spares stores on the internet.

The online forum link is copied below if it is allowed. Else mods delete it.

http://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s...roken-2833890/
Similar damage happened on the rear curtain of my C class, no alternative but to replace the hinge (if available separately) else the entire assembly!

Would also suggest not using superglue, if it spills on the parcel tray it will leave a stain - which will be an eye sore!

Visit the workshop and get a quote? If you have comprehensive insurance, I think this "accessory" will also be covered and can claim it? On my C class the entire assembly cost somewhere around 15k IIRC.

Also, post some pictures? Maybe folks can suggest something after seeing the damage.

Another option would be to contact VAGTunes and see if they have the part or can arrange the part, might be cheaper than workshop.
madnish30 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2015, 20:56   #3
BHPian

Can you post a pic of the hinge? That may facilitate more suggestions/alternative.
Old 3rd May 2015, 00:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Can you take out the hinge / part which is broken?

If you send me the broken one, I can possibly arrange to have it machined out for you from solid aluminium / steel
AbhiJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 12:30   #5
BHPian

Re: Rear window's motorised curtain broken - Now what?

Sorry for above unexplained pictures. Edited and explained. Mods can you delete above post's pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Rear window's motorised curtain broken - Now what?-image-1-2.jpg  

Rear window's motorised curtain broken - Now what?-image-2-2.jpg  

Rear window's motorised curtain broken - Now what?-image-3-2.jpg  

Rear window's motorised curtain broken - Now what?-image-5-2.jpg  

Old 5th May 2015, 15:31   #6
BHPian

Ouch. It seems that changing the entire assembly will be your only solution. It doesn't look like you get just the curtain separately. (However, this is from my limited knowledge from a few quick searches on Google and sites like aliexpress).
Old 5th May 2015, 16:14   #7
Team-BHP Support

You can try to do one more thing, remove the small bit from curtain end and use Araldite to glue it to the winder assembly. Use a small piece of acrylic for additional strength which can be placed on top of the broken bit joining the two pieces. Use a rubber band to tie em up while you leave it for cure overnight. Araldite will take time to cure but is available at local hardware or stationary stores. Edit: You have to get this

Am assuming this is the piece which is intact?
Rear window's motorised curtain broken - Now what?-image-3-2.jpg

Where as these are the broken pieces?

Rear window's motorised curtain broken - Now what?-image-2-2.jpg

Rear window's motorised curtain broken - Now what?-image-4.jpg

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th May 2015 at 16:27.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 18:11   #8
BHPian

Worth a try with Araldite. I was thinking of drilling a small hole in the plastic part on the track and using a 'twist tie'.
Old 8th May 2015, 14:48   #9
BHPian

Is there an update with this? Were you able to get it fixed?
Old 8th May 2015, 17:49   #10
BHPian

I haven't had the time to try out Araldite. Will try it over the weekend.
In the meanwhile I got in touch with ecstuning . com and from various searches, seem to have gotten the part number. However, since they don't have a real life picture of the product, I am refraining from buying it.
If some techno heads can read out the diagram and confirm, it would be helpful.

http://www.audiusaparts.com/audi/a4-...rear-body-scat
Attached Images

Old 9th May 2015, 11:00   #11
BHPian

Quote:
I haven't had the time to try out Araldite. Will try it over the weekend.
In the meanwhile I got in touch with ecstuning . com and from various searches, seem to have gotten the part number. However, since they don't have a real life picture of the product, I am refraining from buying it.
If some techno heads can read out the diagram and confirm, it would be helpful.

http://www.audiusaparts.com/audi/a4-...rear-body-scat
How much is it costing you at ECS Tuning?
Isn't there a way you can simply ask the Audi dealership for the part number? If you can be sure of the part number, it would be much easier to order it.
Old 11th May 2015, 11:30   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
How much is it costing you at ECS Tuning?
Isn't there a way you can simply ask the Audi dealership for the part number? If you can be sure of the part number, it would be much easier to order it.
USD 39 for each side excluding shipping and local taxes. Worth a shot, no? Or worst case scenario would be a waste of 6000 Rs.

Update on tie with string and then put araldite. I doesn't seem to work. Not much area left to work on, plus I realised that there is one more moving part apart from the tracks. The part attached to the curtain, that itself moves in and out.
Old 11th May 2015, 12:53   #13
BHPian

Quote:
USD 39 for each side excluding shipping and local taxes. Worth a shot, no? Or worst case scenario would be a waste of 6000 Rs.

Update on tie with string and then put araldite. I doesn't seem to work. Not much area left to work on, plus I realised that there is one more moving part apart from the tracks. The part attached to the curtain, that itself moves in and out.
The windshield washer pump on my S class died on me. I haven't even taken it to autohangar or shaman to get a quote. Just jumped on to AliExpress, found a pump with the exact same part number and seemingly looks the same. Ordered it, price about $40 and another additional $30 for the express shipping that I asked for. The part should be arriving this week, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it works. I paid a total of about 4.5k INR including shipping, this is far better than the 30k-onwards that the dealership might have quoted.

My thinking is, it's worth the risk. It's a gamble, if I lose, I lose all the 4.5k INR I paid for the part..(if it doesn't work). However, if it does work, I end up saving over 25k just like that. So IMO, it's worth the risk unless you can't be bothered to get in the hassle of ordering online and waiting....
Old 12th May 2020, 19:36   #14
BHPian

Hi Ritesh,

Any update on this? Were you able to get it fixed?

I own an Audi A4 2014, and cannot find a replacement part anywhere. DIY solutions are also not sustainable.
Old 10th September 2020, 10:35   #15
BHPian

Just wanted to share an update.

I was able to get the curtain fixed by taking it to a FNG at Tolstoy Lane, CP, Delhi. If anyone needs the contact details, please drop a PM.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks