Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2017, 10:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
@theMAG:- The points for the I4 are placed below that of the I6. Editing required.
Number of points need to be amplified. Some can be debated.
@Rahul Bhagat: Popular early aircraft engines were rotary (as opposed to radial).
Regards
Sutripta
Hello Sutripta,

Perhaps it would help to clarify it a bit if you added that the early engines had rotating c/cases & pistons around the stationary crankshaft, rather than the standard definition of a set of reciprocating, radial pistons cranking a rotating crankshaft!

Regards,
Shashanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Felt that sliver of frustration when automotive programs talk about a delicious type of engine on a new car they're reviewing, and you wished you could connect better with the characteristics of that engine the presenters were talking about?! Here's a potential reduction to that frustration, alongwith using cool techno-lingo with your friends to increase their awe at your technical expertise

2. Flat/Boxer engine

We now move into the realm of performance engines! Although the number of manufacturers that use the boxer engine have dwindled, with Porsche and Subaru continuing to persist with the boxer engine in their current offerings, the automotive/racing world has fond memories of this engine layout.

This engine configuration was made famous by the original VW Beetle, which used an air-cooled, rear-mounted boxer engine. .......

Hello theMag, a great thread starter, this! And you're right - it would impress the hell out of my circle seeing my tech expertise!
At a slight tangent, I will add that VW had a large stock of their air cooled, flat-4 blocks lying idle after they ceased production of this unit. They apparently sold a consignment to Hatlapa, the air compressor manufacturers. Hatlapa subsequently converted the blocks (minus the reciprocating ohv gear & associated bits and pieces) to air cooled air compressors. These still had the VW logo embossed on the crankcase when I worked on them (I was 2nd Engr at the time) on the "Marine Ranger", a Panamax bulk carrier I was on back in 1990!

Last edited by Aditya : 9th May 2017 at 06:55. Reason: Merged. Discussing mod activity
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks