Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2006, 10:28   #1
BHPian

pinion defect in ford ikon!

hey guys i just got my car frm its servicing yesterday and i got to know that the pinion of my car has a manufacturing defect....which causes the power steering oil to leak....and it costs 21,000Rs to get another one fixed..... ...and since my car isnt under warranty i will have to shell it frm my own pocket ..which i am not ready to do rite now...
tell me guys...
is it dangerous to drive with this problem of pinion for a long distance trip like from mumbai to bangalore...coz we intend on doing so...??

and secondly the guys actually told me to de carbonize;..how much does that generally cost and what do they actually doand when is it genereally requitred to be done...and do they clean up the headgasket and put it back? they guy also told me that they clean up other parts as wel....

but as i thought i knew that headgaske once opened cant be put back instead one has to replace it with a new one costing 1600rs...
please let me know guys....am anxious....
Old 30th August 2006, 12:53   #2
BHPian

A manufacturing defect has to be taken care of by the company free of cost, even if it is not under warranty.

Now if the Pinion itself is defective it is dangerous to drive. But is the power part is only gone of the power steering, then it is possible to drive safely, if you can cope up with the extra effort required to steer since the power is gone.
Old 30th August 2006, 13:19   #3
BANNED

Have they given it to you in writing that its a manufacturing defect?
If they have... boy you can have a field day with them...
Old 30th August 2006, 19:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Exactly agree with sumit and 2L8uloose if its a manufacturing defect warranty or no warranty company has to fix it free of cost and also BEING SORRY for it as it was their fault in the first place.Get it in writing from the service station guys and then complain to ford.They will solve it ASAP for free
Old 30th August 2006, 20:49   #5
BHPian

i dont have it in writing...does this written piece have to be from the people who have sold us the car?
you guys are sure arent u? that even if it doesnt fall under the warranty they will replace it....
and the leakage of power steering fluid is not very much although i keep cheking it once a day to just keep it safe...its roughly about 2-3 drops a day...
and guys tell me about the carbonisation thing...!!i need to know about it..
Old 30th August 2006, 22:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

Get the writing piece from the very authorised service fellow who told u that the particular thing is manufacturing defect.This will help u prove that the part is actually a manufacuring defect and that the their own authroised service station has said that.
This will definately help u claim for a new part free of cost.If the power steering fluid leak is not that much then use it for sometime and keep filling it when it nears the half mark but ultimately u ll have to replace it.
Decarbonising is removing the carbon particles from the engine.maruti recommends decarbonising the engine every 20000km dont know about ford.
After decarbonising the engine will be more revhappy and will return better mileage then what u get now.
Old 31st August 2006, 01:12   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

my friend owns a ford ikon and i love the car,thats the best car ive ever driven(costing less than 10 lakh rupees)the only reason i dont own that car is the huge maintainace cost,it scares me ,sorry for being offtopic.
Old 31st August 2006, 21:32   #8
BHPian

i recently had a tiff with the same guy who serviced me the car about the decarbonising fare that was a whoppin 2500 i just dunno i thot it wasnt worth it..i fought with the same guy who told me abt the manufacturing defect...how do i approach that guy again and wat do i say...
Old 31st August 2006, 22:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

BABE...be flirty with the guy the next time u want some work done from him..just kiddin.
Well i would say as this guy has told u about the manufacuring defect ask him to give this to u in writing.Be sweet and mostly it should work.If not then go to some other authroised service station and tell them to check it out and look what they have to say.
Aisa na ho u keep complaining that its a manufacuring defect just because the guy at one service station told u and in the end its not and u end up making a fool of yourself.
If the other guy says its not a manufacuring defect then go back to the 1st guy and by hook or crook get it on writing from him.This will increse your chances of getting it done for free
This is all i can think of now
Old 31st August 2006, 22:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

Babe ,

Take a 2nd opinion from another Ford Service centre - I would recommend Shaman Ford in Parel. I have been getting exemplary service from them. Still you aint satisfied take a 3rd opinion from another Ford Service centre or a mechanic u trust.

@anshuman - you make it sound like owning an Ikon is a horror story as far as maintenance costs are concerned. It is not. I have an Ikon for the past 4 years and 65000 kms - it still feels awesome. Service costs are pretty decent.

And I again repeat this - If you get your car serviced regularly and add some TLC - it sure will take care of you.
Old 31st August 2006, 23:04   #11
BHPian

its a great car..i have always been in love with everything....and the maintenanace costs are also reasonable..but i fail to realize the cost of a decarbonising job!!which they put upto rs 2500..i really found the service good...but then this hitch with the pinion is what i really want to resolve...i think i will take it in written by the same dealers from whom we purchased....
yeah the TLC works very well with it....it becomes a cool babe to drive.....
Old 31st August 2006, 23:05   #12
BHPian

@ B.o.w
how old is your car? was this leak present earlier also during warranty period? if yes you must have mentioned that in their service call report & what was their action on this. even though if warranty is expired if same problem persist you can still claim for that. so first check that out.

as far as decarbonizing is concerned dont do it, not worth, only if your car has run in more than 1L KM then you can think of it & change sparkplugs every 10K KM not 40K KM which Ford recommends.

Last edited by Ford Rocam : 31st August 2006 at 23:07.
Old 31st August 2006, 23:11   #13
BHPian

the car was actually hit by the floods last year...it was under six feet of water..so most of the parts were replaced...and the other which cudnt have been serviced well....

as far as the general working of it is concerned...its awesome even after the floods...i still get abt 13-14 in city with ac on and abt 15-16 on highway....

actually i noticed this after the warranty period expired coz i saw a decrease in oil level after the time...

i asked the guy repeatedly and he told me yeah its a manufacturing defect and it happens sometimes...but then he also told me that after i go to bangalore ....i could give it to the ford dealers there and actually claim it for free after being a lil sweet and a lil DAMSEL IN DISTRESS kind even after the warranty period...he assured me of that....

and yeah its just done about 10k kms...
Old 31st August 2006, 23:13   #14
BHPian

forgot to mention it was a brand new car when the floods hit it...it was just abt 3 mths old..bought it on 28th april....there was no oil leakage complaint in the previous service....
Old 11th May 2009, 14:26   #15
BHPian

Sorry to start over with such an old thread but it s exactly what i am facing in my Accord 2004 model the one to be axed after the latest one !!
The power steering fluid is very low in the resivoir and it starting making a grunting noise while turing it full turn s and today i saw evident leak too in my garage !! What is the prcocedure involved in fixing the pinion leak is it a must to change the steering column (recommended by honda dealer over phone ) I even have a trusted garage and he say s he can replace the bush kit and repair the leak if it is from the pinion !!! What s the take of technical gurus on it ???
REgards
SaaJan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks