Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2015, 10:04   #31
BHPian

re: Many Electrical issues with my 2014 Tata Safari Storme. Now sorted

I have more or less the same issues in a reduced scale. This has started after the recent ladakh circuit drive. Went to the SC in Noida, they did something, but was not fixed. Felt the same issue while driving back to Kolkata. At time when there is no electricity to ignite the engine, I open the fuse box and just ensure that the fuses are all in place by pushing them back manually into their slots. This helps with the electricity flowing back and the engine starts. I am going to another SC in Kolkata for the same. I will update.
Old 18th November 2015, 20:19   #32
BHPian

Tata and electronics is like having Medium Rare Steak with Laddu. Never goes well together.

Please check the alternator regulator before anything else. Its the "hot" moving item with any Tata spare parts dealer. The regulator in Tata vehicles give up for apparently no reason and the car behaves like its possessed.
I have personally experienced it in the Sumo 4x4, Indica, couple of Sierras and the Safari.

Last edited by jeeva : 18th November 2015 at 20:20.
Old 17th January 2016, 23:33   #33
BHPian

Update: My Storme has done around 10000 kms after the rectification of the issue. The issue has never cropped up again and the vehicle is running fine. Sunny days or Rainy days, things are working perfectly now.

Thanks to tbhp, the concerned people took note of the issue and dealer was notified who rectified it within 2 days.

Last edited by sandeep_vgl : 17th January 2016 at 23:40.
sandeep_vgl is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 09:44   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep_vgl View Post
Update: My Storme has done around 10000 kms after the rectification of the issue. The issue has never cropped up again and the vehicle is running fine. Sunny days or Rainy days, things are working perfectly now.

Thanks to tbhp, the concerned people took note of the issue and dealer was notified who rectified it within 2 days.
Good to hear that! Could you edit the title of the thread to reflect this? Would give an accurate picture of the current status.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 14:17   #35
BHPian

Re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

!!! Need some help !!!

I recently bought a pre-worshiped Tata Safari Storme Varicor 320 (you know Bachpan ka pyaar :P). The car was well maintained, with only 59K on the odometer. The owner was selling since he was moving to a new home in Mumbai, which did not have enough head room in the parking space to park this car.
Also, before finalizing, i had taken the car to Tata service center for a detailed checkup, and only after their go ahead, i bought the car.

However, i am facing some weird electrical problem since the time i have started using this car.

Problem: This issue only happens when the car is stationary for a while, let's say an hour or two.
When i try to open the car through my Remote Key, many a times only the driver side door opens. On the second push of the remove key button, none of the other door opens.
And then, the auto-key completely stops responding. The car refuses to either open or close.
Now then, when i open the driver side door, there are electrical fluctuations in the car. All indicators would go ON-OFF, headlamps would go ON-OFF, the fog lamps would go ON-OFF, and after a while the security alarm would also go ON.
At this moment, the auto-key again starts responding and i can then open all the doors. Once i open all the doors through the key, all the fluctuations would stop and car would behave normally.

This issue doesn't happen when the car is warmed up. So couple of times when i took the car to the service station, the problem did not appear. Based on trial and error, the service advisor tried replacing the driver side door latch (which anyways was malfunctioning). But this did not resolve the main issue.

What can we look into to get to the root cause of this issue? Need guidance.

A video illustrating this issue is given in the link below:

PassionateDrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 14:58   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateDrive View Post
What can we look into to get to the root cause of this issue? Need guidance.
A Probable answer is this, this solved the previous issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
90Horses has provided very vital clue of checking the BCM in the above post. But before trying that option, I have a small suggestion for you which you should explore first.

There is an important relay in the system, called as "Main Relay". This relay controls the power supply to all electronics on the vehicle.

There are chances that this is faulty - sometimes dry solder or solder cracks get developed and then you have intermittent contact called relay chatter ! This relay chatter leads to the symptoms which you are experiencing.

It is a small component and should be easy to try out and should not cost much. You can buy it if the dealer is not willing to support and observe.

I am 99.99% confident that this will solve your electrical problem.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 18:44   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
A Probable answer is this, this solved the previous issue.
Unfortunately the root cause is the faulty BCM here. We tried putting on the BCM of some other Storme Varicor in mine, and the problem disappeared. We put my BCM back, and the problem resurfaced again

And harrowingly, BCM is not repairable and a new BCM would set me back by ~28K

Looking for some after market options for now.

Any other suggestions here to save any bugs would be most heavenliest

Mod Note: Only 2 smilies per post please!

Last edited by ampere : 1st November 2021 at 19:16.
PassionateDrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 18:52   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately the root cause is the faulty BCM here. We tried putting on the BCM of some other Storme Varicor in mine, and the problem disappeared. We put my BCM back, and the problem resurfaced again

And harrowingly, BCM is not repairable and a new BCM would set me back by ~28K

Go to the scrapyard in your city where cars are accidental cars are broken down for spares. You might get a working BCM for lot cheaper.
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 22:38   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Remove the part and take it to a scrap dealer and see if you can find a spare from there. If this thing controls only the locks or functions as a central locking unit only, then an aftermarket replacement may work. But if it controls more than just locks, then you have to find the same part number.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 23:24   #40
BHPian

Re: Many Electrical issues with my 2014 Tata Safari Storme. Now sorted

I have a Tata Manza. Although I don't have the issues you reported above, it's a good idea to disconnect the battery, remove all fuses, spray - electrical contact cleaner and then fit everything back.

That can help to fix issues caused due to oxidation at the fuse box etc. I bought one from Amazon.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th September 2021 at 05:20. Reason: Punctuation
SS80 is online now   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 10th October 2021, 16:48   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Go to the scrapyard in your city where cars are accidental cars are broken down for spares. You might get a working BCM for lot cheaper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Remove the part and take it to a scrap dealer and see if you can find a spare from there. If this thing controls only the locks or functions as a central locking unit only, then an aftermarket replacement may work. But if it controls more than just locks, then you have to find the same part number.
Update:

The problem was getting bad to worse. On one of the recent nights, the security alarm just went off automatically, waking up me and at least a couple of other society members . I knew I had to get this repaired ASAP.

Meanwhile, I had approached the TSA himself to check if he would have any contacts of any aftermarket/scrap dealers. He tried and to my luck, he got me a deal from one of the scrap dealers in Mumbai for 14K.

In parallel, I was also checking with my used car dealer to see if he can get this problem resolved. After all he had sold this faulty piece and had some moral responsibility (but definitely he wasn't legally liable since the problem was discovered after the deal was closed). But he was generous enough to get through his contacts, and had given me similar options at similar price points.

Didn't really sweat over this further and decided to go with the TSA. It is with no bill no warranty off-course, but he allowed me to test the BCM for 24 hours before I made any payment.

The car is behaving normally now. But since we haven't found the root cause of why the original BCM would have gone kaput, I have also asked the TSA to get all the related electrical wirings checked to see if there is no cut. He asked me to get the vehicle to TSS after Dussehra due to the heavy workload.

Thanks TBHP for the guidance. Looking forward to some fun miles with this beast !!!

Mod Note: Only 2 smiles per post please

Last edited by ampere : 1st November 2021 at 19:17.
PassionateDrive is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 18:31   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Update:

The problem was getting bad to worse. On one of the recent nights, the security alarm just went off automatically, waking up me and at least a couple of other society members . I knew I had to get this repaired ASAP.
Thanks for the informative post as I have similar problems and the GM at TASS says it could be the BCM module. So in my case what happens is that suddenly while driving the door lock makes the sound as if it has unlocked or locked however in reality nothing happens, at the same time the seat belt reminder light pops up on the display and the headlights go off. I had reported this issue earlier as well however since for about a month it never re-appeared I didn't push the TASS for resolving. I did report this issue to the Service Advisor when I gave my Storme for service last week but in typical TATA Ass fashion he said he will get the scanning done and in case anything comes up he will let me know. Obviously nothing came up (or maybe they didn't even do it) but finally the evening I was taking the delivery of the car and to my fortune at the time I cranked up the car to leave, the AC didn't work and when it automatically did, the headlights went off. Since I was still there at the TASS, immediately called the advisor as well as the technician and the GM (Wasan Motors, Deonar) and thankfully this time everything was in front of them. Which is when the GM mentioned it looks like the BCM module. Though at that time since they were shutting down and also I have to anyways take car back to them in a couple of weeks, i got the issue noted on the invoice and got a commitment that when I come back they will get to this issue and not charge me the labour costs again. Waiting for the next service and to hear what they have to say. I hope they don't ask to change the BCM module because anyways they have already given an estimate of ~ 1 lakhs and so hope it is not another 28K additional for the BCM.

Cheers,
zadoom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 16:10   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadoom View Post
Thanks for the informative post as I have similar problems and the GM at TASS says it could be the BCM module. So in my case what happens is that suddenly while driving the door lock makes the sound as if it has unlocked or locked however in reality nothing happens, at the same time the seat belt reminder light pops up on the display and the headlights go off. I had reported this issue earlier as well however since for about a month it never re-appeared I didn't push the TASS for resolving.
So, I have an update to share on the electrical issue that I had mentioned earlier. It seems I thankfully don't have to do anything to the BCM, infact didnt even have to go to the TASS to get rid of the issue.
I had completely forgotten that the previous owner had an insurer provided GPS tracking device plugged into the OBD port (the one that's in front of the driver's right knee area). Just thought of checking if it could change the behaviour in anyways, removed the device and voila! At least for about 2 weeks haven't faced the issue at all.

Cheers,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks