Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2004, 06:15   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (power_machaa @ April 27 2004,00:06)]is the wattage of 5w 20 too less to be used on the bike.
Hey Machaa,

The "W" that you are talking about does not stand for wattage, but instead for "winter"!

Oils have to be the right thickness at the right temperatures, if they are too thick they dont flow well and if they are too thin they do not lubricate well. The thickness of the oil is called its "viscosity".

Multigrade oils, have the ability to stay the right thickness through a wide range of temperatures. This is where the denotation (5w20 for example) comes in.

5w20 is made to be used in ambient temperatures ranging from MINUS 30 degrees centigrade to -10*C. Im not even sure if this grade of oil will be available in India!

What would be the right choice for Delhi conditions would be 20W40 or 20W50 in the multigrade oils. ( -10*c to 30*c)

Check out the link that i posted in the first reply in this thread, it is informative and has a chart of grades and their respective temperature ranges.

cya
Rehaan
Old 4th January 2006, 13:53   #17
BHPian

Synthetic mixed with Mineral oil

[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]I have a 2005 Scorpio , I changed to systnetic at 15k after using an engine flush, now at my 25k service the dealer went and topped it up with regular mineral oil , added approx 1 litre , which has probably chaged the viscosity of the oil , I need to know if I need to change the oil immediately ?? Will driving the vehicle have an advserse effect on the engine ?? Pls let me know so I can act on this ASAP..[/SIZE]
Old 4th January 2006, 15:57   #18
dev
BHPian

Check this link for more info:
http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?...hellhelix.html
Rchimni,
I think you should not add Synthetic with Mineral. It is recommended to maintain one type. That is info I got from the link provided by Rehaan.

Last edited by dev : 4th January 2006 at 15:58.
Old 4th January 2006, 16:46   #19
BHPian

The creator of the engine knows what exactly you should feed to his baby. SO just do what manufacturer's recommend. That should safe guard your engine from any future troubles.

Surya
Old 4th January 2006, 17:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The creator of the engine knows what exactly you should feed to his baby. SO just do what manufacturer's recommend. That should safe guard your engine from any future troubles.
This statement is for people who can't think logically and need a user's manual for every thing including their toothbrush. No offence,machan
Old 4th January 2006, 22:19   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power_machaa
is using mobil 1 for indian bikes recommended. like a karizma. is the wattage of 5w 20 too less to be used on the bike.
It is not wattage. The correct terminology is "weight". The w here represents "cold" condition. In 5w-20, the first number is the oil's weight or viscosity factor under cold temperature and the second number under the warm or engine operating temperature. Viscosity is a measure of how freely a fluid can flow. Under cold conditions, oil usually tends to be more viscous (thick). This means that the oil does not circulate well when it is cold. On the other hand, oil becomes less viscous or free flowing when it gets warm which is also a problem as it will not lubricate if it flows freely. So the oil is designed to be less viscous under cold conditions and be more viscous under engine operating temperatures to compensate for the fluid's natural ability to undergo changes in viscosity under different temperatures. This type of oil is called multi-weight oil and is very common these days. Synthetic oils are known to withstand extreme temperatures without significantly undergoing changes in viscosity.

Regarding your question about using a specific grade of oil for your vehicle, this is not a generic number that someone could recommend off the top of their head. It is engine specific. So it is best to talk to your vehicle manufacturer or service person or refer to vehicle manual for suggestions specific to your vehicle.
Old 3rd May 2007, 23:49   #22
Senior - BHPian

man i really need a better brand than the castrol gtx in the 20w50 grade for my unicorn as the temp here is like 45+`c in the day!

please help me find one here in hyderabad i will be really happy!!!!!!
Old 4th May 2007, 10:45   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
man i really need a better brand than the castrol gtx in the 20w50 grade for my unicorn as the temp here is like 45+`c in the day!

please help me find one here in hyderabad i will be really happy!!!!!!
are you sure Unicorn needs 20W50?
Old 4th May 2007, 11:17   #24
Team-BHP Support

Note from mod: Very old thread hence closed, please continue your discussion on synthetic/vs mineral or any of the other active threads
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks