Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2015, 20:03   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The modern car and the technologically challenged

Nice thread. I think VW cars have a large number of quirks that can challenge even the most tech savvy/knowledgeable folks. The fact that there exists a thread just for this is an indication of the number of quirks it has

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...es-quirks.html

In fact if it was not for this thread, I would have been embarrassed a number of times. The first few times when my brothers took the car, I had to give them a lesson on several things. Most of the things mentioned are specific to VW cars and anyone moving to a VW from Japanese/Korean Car will be challenged by these. Some key things that I would have really embarrassed me if not for this thread.
  • Fuel Lid: Tied to central lock, no dedicated button to open.
  • AT: You can turn off in any mode, key comes out only in P mode.
  • Need to press the brake to move from P to D, but can move between P and S as needed
  • The bonnet can be opened only when the door is open
  • Boot Release button needs a long press.
  • Switch off the car, to switch on you need to do a fully counter clockwise rotation before turning clockwise and cranking.

Before this, in my Zen. First time using power windows and window lock. Had no idea what the window lock button was. Gave car for service and got it- Power windows not working. Started driving to the service center cursing Maruti. By chance saw this switch and wondered what it was. Pressed it, tried the windows and wow, they opened.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 31st August 2015 at 20:14.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 21:16   #47
BHPian

So far thrice I have embarrassed myself by doing things which should not have been done or searching for things which did not even exist.

1. When I got my City, I was just making sure everything was right with the car in the dealership on the delivery day. Suddenly I was reminded to check where the boot lever and the fuel tank lid lever. Boot lever I found next to the drivers seat but then the fuel tank lid lever was absent. So I checked every possible place near the drivers seat only to be unsuccessful. Finally stepped out of the car and walked over near the lid and asked my SA how did you open this lid, there is no lever and ever so slightly pushed the lid in only to see it pop out. After me realizing I answered my own query, the SA stopped laughing and told if the car is locked so is the lid and I can open it only when the doors are unlocked.

2. I had rented a Zoomcar XUV in Pune last year and at the time of the incident my elder son and my brother were there with me. Made it from the pick up point to my hotel. Then I had to park it into an available parking slot. So engaged what I thought was the reverse gear ( actually the 6th gear ) as I do with my other 2 cars. Slowly I released the clutch only to see the car moving forward and shuddering. Immediately put it to neutral and again put it back into the so thought reverse gear to get back the same response from the car. Meanwhile my brother and son were laughing like crazy realizing what I had done without me realizing it myself! Asked them what was so funny that they both were laughing like crazy guys. But obviously they refused to tell a word. My son had mugged up the owners manual of the XUV and knew how to engage the reverse gear, my brother had prior experience with the XUV and hence he knew it. Then all of a sudden bham it hit my head that I had to lift the collar and put it in the place of 1st gear. Till date my brother and son still go when they remember that incident.

3. I had rented a Buick Enclave from Alamo in US. Had just parked at the National Geographic experience center near Grand Canyon. We were waiting for the next IMAX movie and hence me and my son were jobless. So we decided to check out the features of that car. One thing to be noted is that car is just loaded with a hell lot of features and getting to know each one of them is quite interesting. So we just had a look at the 4-5 buttons on the rear view mirror. One was the OnStar button. Having zero knowledge about it we let it go but the button next to it was to change the mirror between day and night mode. Now I went ahead and clicked the OnStar button instead of the mirror dim button. Off a call went to GM and within next 30 seconds I had a person asking, how he could help me. I apologized saying that the button was clicked by mistake and there was nothing wrong with the car. I had always respected Buick's for the number of features they had but this one feature kept me away from trying any other feature in the car for the rest of the trip .

Last edited by swamyzen : 31st August 2015 at 21:20.
swamyzen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 23:04   #48
BHPian

An unusual embarrassment one can face even when they are not driving any imported cars, automatics or other technologically mutated hybrids is while suddenly driving any car from Ford! Especially when you are already an well polished driver and know pretty much how to handle almost any kind of situation but your friend or a person owning that Ford which they let you drive says, "The Indicator knob is on the left and wipers are on right for ford." for those first few turns!
Old 31st August 2015, 23:07   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post

I didn't know that RTO guys do this. What do they do when the alarm goes off, I wonder. But I had run into this situation before. Being cautious, I always lock the doors. Me & my wife had parked by the side of a road. There were incidents where people would randomly open the door and take away stuff. We had stuff in the back seat of our Santro (now sold). I got out my driver door, locked the car (with my wife inside) and went to get clothes from the dry cleaner. We had problems with change, so I asked my wife for some. She got out, locked her door and closed it. I knew what she was doing and screamed not to close the door, but alas it was too late. We had the car running with AC and both of us locked out. I remembered this trick from my Maruti 800 days and got the scale, but could not open the driver door. Tried the front passenger door and luckily it opened! That's when I realized these cars can be easily opened. heh!
I am quite habituated of this for opening my locked Santro. On couple of occasions luckily being close to market, I bought the metal scale then and there.

Besides, also remember that once opened the lock and entered my Santro parked outside a mall. Tried to insert the key in the ignition but failed. Realized after third attempt that I am inside someone else's Santro of same silver color. Mine was parked just next to it. Came quickly out embarrassed and amazed at the same time. Quickly locked the door worried that the if the owner observes it can become an issue. Luckily nothing happened but lost the trust on locking system of Santro that day.

Also, way back was first time driving a power steering equipped car. Parked it outside someone's office and on return, the key in ignition refused to turn. I was absolutely clueless on what to do. Mobiles were not commonplace that time so took a cab to return. Once back, told the office driver about the problem with the vehicle. He immediately could make out that it was locked steering and shown me on another vehicle way to unlock it. The problem and resolution consumed my half day and more painfully, exposed my ignorance in front of entire office.

Last edited by rsm97 : 31st August 2015 at 23:11.
rsm97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 01:32   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

As a passenger in my relative's rather splendid Audi A8, during my recent holiday in UK, I soon realised that, if I were to drive such a car (no, I didn't get the chance) I would have to spend a week with the manual. One thing I would have no clue about using is the handbrake: it's just a button! How would I do a hill start? I don't know if this level of luxury car is actually more idiot proof than something basic, but it seemed daunting to this idiot!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 02:16   #51
Senior - BHPian

First time I got a Ford (or was it Chevvy I don't exactly recall) rental in US, the Enterprise guys dropped it at my office in the afternoon. After finishing my work later that day, I got into the car and to my horror, there was no headlight stalk attached to the steering wheel!! The garage was dimly lit and so was the car's interior, which made the circular knob in the dashboard, to the left of the steering wheel nearly invisible. Took a few deep breaths, calmed myself down and then finally spotted the circular knob! Phew that was some relief!
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 08:45   #52
BHPian

I got an Indica as a loaner car when I gave my car for service. On the second day, I go to my friends place and while returning, the car wouldn't start. I tried several times and was furious that the battery might be dead. But there was no crank either. After 15-20 mins, I tried starting with the clutch engaged and it started. I couldn't believe that it was an Indica that had this feature. Everytime I started this car before the incident, I was hitting the clutch sub-consciously. And as a practice, I never engage the gear while parking, unless it's a slope. And I start my car without engaging the clutch all the time.
carrerastrax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 09:15   #53
BHPian

What an excellent thread; thanks for starting it - rated 5 stars!

Well, I have had my share of oops moments as well.

This was in 2008; I was just learning to drive and had booked my first car - the WagonR. I had had sufficient practise with my driving school instructor on a Santro - so had quite a bit of confidence of even driving on main roads. But as all new drivers are, was so nervous and also excited about the new car. I was also nervous about the gear shifting as can be expected for a newbie. I wished the Sales Exec goodbye and said that I will take it from here - he went off since there was another customer waiting for him. And then I started the car - beautiful sound of the new car - with the new car smell . And then I put the gear to first - gently press the accelearator - nothing happens! I move the gear back to neutral and then to first again - still nothing happens. I do this a few times - with my wifey telling me to calm down. In what seemed like an eternity, I must have done this 4-5 times and towards the last few times was pressing down on the accelerator but could only hear the engine so loud but no movement of the car. Finally reallized that the parking gear was engaged . Till date, my stomach churns and heart skips a beat when I think about what I put my new car through. But it is now 7+ years since and 64k kms hence ; so I know that I didnt do any damage.
execve is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 09:21   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamyzen View Post

. Now I went ahead and clicked the OnStar button instead of the mirror dim button. Off a call went to GM and within next 30 seconds I had a person asking, how he could help me. I apologized saying that the button was clicked by mistake and there was nothing wrong with the car. I had always respected Buick's for the number of features they had but this one feature kept me away from trying any other feature in the car for the rest of the trip .
Haha ! Swamyzen; I have also done the very exact thing on some other car. I apologized profusely that day hoping that they had not called "911"
nivatakavacha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 10:30   #55
BHPian

Oh I have many such awkward moments when it comes to automobiles.
One such moment happened when I was in Germany. I had promised my friend to help her move to a new place. I told her I would get a rental Utility van so that we can easily move the stuff in one go. And so I went to this rental place in my locality and hired a Mercedes Vito utility van. After initial seat adjustments and cursory check I sat and searched for Handbrake (a.k.a Parking brake) Not kidding I nearly spent ~10mins to look for it. All this while the rental guy was observing me. Finally he came to me leaning over the window and asked "Ever driven a Mercedes van ?" in a typical German accent. I gave him the most embarrassing and sheepish grin anyone could give. He showed me a Foot pedal on the extreme left. Press it and its done,brake engaged.Nice and easy !

All this while I knew the Parking brake as Handbrake as majority people in India prefer to call it. And so I was here searching for something in my arms reach which I can call it a"Handbrake" .
srivatsahg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 11:42   #56
BHPian

This is an interesting thread. I surely have a couple of experiences that make me feel dumb.

1. In my uncle's Hyundai i20 (Model prior to the Elite).

I went to his house, to check out the sparking new i20. Then on demonstration phase, my uncle got into the car and tried to start it !! It doesn't. He got upset, and handed over the keys to me. Hyundai being well known territory, I confidently got into the driver's seat, and turn the key - Nothing happens. After spending about two-three minutes my uncle's memory kicked up - Oh ! That SA guy had told to press clutch before you start. That was new to me. While in U.S I drove a Hyundai whose brake pedal had to be pressed (that's automatic transmission), but pressing clutch was a new thing.

2. My own Xcent - Push button start/stop - Just fancy

I still haven't figured out how to start the car back if it accidentally stalls in traffic. I press the start button, press the accelerator and leave the clutch as usual. Nothing happens - That's when I realize ignition has turned off, it was ON last time - just the engine had stalled. My button press to start it again just turned the ignition OFF. You need to press it this time again, enough time for the impatient to honk at my back.

3. Xcent again - Steering mounted controls

I accidentally press the controls, while steering the vehicle. My whole habit of turning the steering grabbing it inside out of the steering wheel plays really foul - and some part of my arm is what knocks those switches on. This was supposed to be the most firm hold on steering when you turn it around in the Fiat which I learned, but this habit is troublesome in cars with steering mounted controls.

It so happened on one day I was actually checking out why the A/C blower is making so high noise for a long time while the car is perfectly cool, and then I realized I had changed the radio band to AM and that's the hissing sound
Old 1st September 2015, 11:43   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-go-man View Post
he had bent all the way down and using his hands he was keeping the brake pedal pressed and was looking at me innocently asking "now what"
He literally applied "hand brake"

funniest thing happened was when we got delivery of our Polo, we took car to nearby temple and while leaving we couldn't figure out how to slot it into reverse called few friends but no one had any idea, then I figured that lever needs to be pressed to slot it into reverse!
Old 1st September 2015, 13:23   #58
BHPian

Nice thread!

One story that I have: I was driving cabs in Gold Coast, Australia when I was a student and one day I was handed a Prius.

It was an entry level model, hence there was no Keyless entry & Go. I had to slot the key fob into a space provided on the right side of the steering wheel.

While I figured that out and was very happy with myself, I embarrassed myself big time when I couldn't find the gear lever and called another driver to resque me. He decided to have some fun and pretended as if he had no clue and called 5 other drivers and showed me frantically searching for the gear lever! Then all of them collectively showed me where.

I ended up red-faced and drove away without saying a word
sidzzone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 15:06   #59
BHPian

Nice thread. And here is my short story.

It was 2007 or 2008. I was in the US and had rented the Honda Accord. It was the second day with the rental car and I found this weird looking button. It was like a mini joy stick and for some reason, I felt the urge to try it out when I was driving to a mall.

The road was empty and at a junction, I had enough time to play with the joy sticky like thing. Nothing happened. I decided, I have to research this once I get back home.

Next moment I had to take a left turn and had a look at the ORVM - 'Oh Damn' - the ORVM was facing up into the sky and completely to the left. Could not see what was behind me. Panic. Panic. Panic. Thats when I understood what that 'thing' did.

Over my last few visits I had never got a traffic ticket and did not want to this time. Just carefully took the turn and stopped on the shoulder. Was too scared to use that button for a few minutes. But after cooling down for some time (not the car - myself), got my senses back and fixed the ORVM view.

Seems stupid now.
Old 1st September 2015, 15:33   #60
BHPian

Nice thread.

I had one too. It’s not the technology which made me a fool, but the mind-set did the trick

Starting of this year, we four friends planned to travel from Sunderland to Barnoldswick in a hire car.
We did hire one Toyota RAV4 from a self-drive car company and during booking asked if we can get Sat-Nav and they politely said they can’t guarantee as only we can book the car class not the specific car. We will get whichever car available that day on that class.

We convinced our self that we will use the mobile data and navigation. Somehow we managed to do so but few times the mobile messed up things due to unknown reasons. One guy was continuously doing the duty of navigator. After endless wrong turns, Wrong exits and frustrations, we finished our trip.

On the way back just before 30-40 miles to our house, I just looked onto the head unit and what ? a button called ‘NAV’. Pressed it and all of our we were like . It’s a proper satellite navigation

We were so sure that the car was not having sat-navigation and never bothered to check also. Even we sacrificed playing the music in car for 3 day trip, just for not losing concentration. Stupid us.

Asish

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks