Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2006, 21:51   #1
BHPian

What's the Right Idling speed for your car?

Guys
I have noticed that the Idling speed on my Baleno when warmed is about 800RPM
Can others share what Idling speeds have they got their cars tuned too

Also it would be great if anyone can validate the much spoken of diseil engine sound when idling, I am now noticing that on my car too,

Is it just a case of rough idling or improper tune up.
What are the steps involved in engine tuning?
I have noticed this more pronounced after adding 2.5ml acetone to liter of petrol.
Any one using acetone have similar findings
Old 6th September 2006, 13:59   #2
BHPian

Guys come on help me on this...
Old 6th September 2006, 14:18   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranpashtakar
Guys
I have noticed that the Idling speed on my Baleno when warmed is about 800RPM
Without a/c, that is the correct rpm. Anyway, Idling speed is controlled by the ECU.

Quote:
Also it would be great if anyone can validate the much spoken of diseil engine sound when idling, I am now noticing that on my car too, Is it just a case of rough idling or improper tune up.
Well, I seriously don't know why. I guess it is contributed by not warmed up engine+ a bit of resonance. Anyway nothing to worry
Old 6th September 2006, 14:28   #4
kdb
BHPian

The idling speed of my ford fiesta is 750RPM (without AC) and 850RPM (with AC)
Old 6th September 2006, 16:56   #5
BHPian

Guys thanks

White knight,, The rough noise occurs even when the engine is hot, is there no way of reducing this. Also the tyre noise inside the cabin is very loud, I was riding in my freinds 3 year old ford that was pretty quite. any ideas as to how to reduce this
Old 6th September 2006, 19:10   #6
BHPian

My Esteem idles at 800rpm without the AC. With the AC it idles at around 1000 rpm.

There is not much you can tune easily in an MPFI engine... re-tuning would mean reprogramming the ECM. Idling speed it controlled by the ECM and there is not much you can do to change / mess it up! ... just ensure that your spark plugs are clean and in good condition and all connections esp. the injector connections are secure.

There is a high probability that your rough idling problem is due to a loose spark plug wire or a loose injector wire. Clean all 4 injector connectors with a little spray of WD-40 / Contact cleaner or equivalent. If that doesn't solve it, try cleaning the spark plug connectors too. If the problem still persists, you may have to pull out and clean the plugs... and worst case would be that you need to get your injectors cleaned too.

The deisel engine type noises you are referring to is most probably tappet noise... The tappet clearances can be set and almost eliminate the noise, but it takes a very skilled person to do it right... and most MASSs can only "pretend" to do it! You should also be aware that the all aluminium engines that most Marutis sport transmit more mechanical noises than other engines because they are made of aluminium.

For the tyre noise, firstly check your tyre pressures! Again, Maruti's dont have as much sound absorbtion material as other cars... you can offset this to some extent by using thick carpets for floormats etc. or better... get a loud In Car Entertainment (ICE)

- T u r b o C -
Old 6th September 2006, 19:10   #7
BHPian

For my OHC VTEC the idling is set to 750rpm without AC. With AC it hovers around 850rpm.
Old 6th September 2006, 22:49   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Ballpark figures:

Petrol engines:

cold idling: 1250 rpm
warm idling: 800-1000 rpm

Diesels:

cold/warm idling: 1000 rpm (its difficult to programme blowplugs the way sparkplugs are digitally controled + its a DIESEL !)
Old 7th September 2006, 11:16   #9
BHPian

Idling rpm is a design feature and changes from car to car. usually most petrol cars idle at 700-800 rpm now a days.... but i hav noticed that the octavia RS idles at abt 1000 rpm... which i think has more to do with reduction in vibrations! The old padminis idle at 600rpm.... so it is nothing hard and fast you see! for mpfi engines it is not easy to set/change the idling rpm contrary to the carburated ones! your ECU takes care of most things... dont worry!
Old 7th September 2006, 11:23   #10
BHPian

my ford fiesta1.6sxi idling speed without a/c around 800rpm with a/c 850rpm(with acetone added)
Old 7th September 2006, 11:46   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Also the tyre noise inside the cabin is very loud, I was riding in my freinds 3 year old ford that was pretty quite. any ideas as to how to reduce this
If the tyre noise was there from the beginning, thats got more to do with the brand of tyre you are on. Some has more noise.

You recently noticed the tyre noise getting louder? Then that would be because of worn out Wheel bearing. Check that out/replace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_c
The deisel engine type noises you are referring to is most probably tappet noise... The tappet clearances can be set and almost eliminate the noise, but it takes a very skilled person to do it right... and most MASSs can only "pretend" to do it! You should also be aware that the all aluminium engines that most Marutis sport transmit more mechanical noises than other engines because they are made of aluminium.
- T u r b o C -
. Better live with it than asking a mechanic to mess up with you engine. Also, I think maruti engines do have more idling noise
Old 6th June 2007, 00:15   #12
BHPian

Yes, WhiteNight is right on the noise issue.Hoping you must have checked the inflation pressure,alignment and worn out tyres, you may additionally get your shocks/bearings checked.Tyre Groove pattern and width make a big difference when it comes to noise-have you changed your stock tyres lately??
Marutis tend to produce more engine noise as they date.That may be due to tappet - you can get them re-adjusted from a qualified mechanic(better to be done at maruti service station) to experience better engine sound and some extra power.

Of the Idling speed i have seen posts that say that its a feature of ECU - quite right,still i think little adjustments can be made from the throttle.What are your opinions??
Old 6th June 2007, 11:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Safari cold idling - 950 RPM
hot idling - 900 RPM

Ditto for my Scorpio..
Old 6th June 2007, 11:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

My Cedia seems to idle around 900-1000 rpm both hot and cold.
Old 6th June 2007, 11:28   #15
BHPian

In Petra 1.6
In mornings(cold Start) Engine idles at 1200rpm and settles down to 600rpm after a few minutes.

Usually while waiting at Red Lights this is what I have observed.
Without AC - needle somewhere between 500-600 rpm
With AC - Needle goes up by 100-150 rpm

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks