Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2015, 11:23   #1

Disable the pinch guard (driver's window)?

Hi,

Does anyone know how to disable the pinch guard on the driver window. I need to do this on my Honda City ZX. It has become very annoying that I have to hold it down every time I need to close the window. Tried to get it repaired. The Honda workshop guys replace the window railing (rubber material); it works for some time (weeks) and then stops. I think it has to do with the quality of the railing the put in now.

So I think will be much easier if I just deactivate the auto window (pinch guard) altogether.

Has anyone tried it. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Asif
Old 13th September 2015, 19:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Disable the pinch guard (driver's window)?

I know exactly what you're talking about. My service guy put some lubricant and now it runs smoothly.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2015, 20:13   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asfsid View Post
Hi,

Does anyone know how to disable the pinch guard on the driver window. I need to do this on my Honda City ZX. It has become very annoying that I have to hold it down every time I need to close the window. Tried to get it repaired. The Honda workshop guys replace the window railing (rubber material); it works for some time (weeks) and then stops. I think it has to do with the quality of the railing the put in now.

So I think will be much easier if I just deactivate the auto window (pinch guard) altogether.

Thanks,
Asif
You can't disable it. The anti-pinch mechanism works on torque-sensing. If there is an obstacle, the winding motors need more torque ( hence more current ). This current sensing is inside the controller. So you have no option to bypass it.

There must be something which is generating more friction as windows are rolling up. So you need to try some kind of lubrication - maybe dry graphite powder or something similar.
Ravindra M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2015, 22:22   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Try some WD-40 or some silicone based lubricants in the window railing and see if the window rolls up easily without activating the pinch guard

Last edited by ampere : 14th September 2015 at 00:49.
technicalytuned is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 07:13   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I would say get the problem fixed rather than trying to disable a safety feature. Easier is not always the better option.

Related read: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...r-windows.html
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 14:24   #6
BHPian

Re: Disable the pinch guard (driver's window)?

Try applying some boric powder on the beading. It will work. Do refrain from any grease or oils. It impacts badly in the long run.

Cheers

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th September 2015 at 15:58. Reason: Typo
sumitdongerkery is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 13:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks,
Asif
This pinch guard, is also acting as a fail safe too, as it doenst let more than certain set current/power pass through the motor. Its a safety mechanism, disabling it wont solve your problem. your root cause is the tight/unlubricated beadings holding the glass down.

Instead, use some wet grease spray. Fiat guys use this on my car every service. It works like a charm after the treatment every time. Both 3M and Wurth have this as far as I know.
Old 18th September 2015, 14:18   #8

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll try using some lubricants and see how long it lasts.

(As someone else also mentioned) The pinch guard works by detecting a change in the torque required while the window is rolling up; and change in current required. If I push down on the glass while it is rolling up, there is no change in the torque required. In fact I think I might be exerting more force than the actual obstruction in the rubber railing; but the fact that I do from the moment the window starts to roll up, the pinch mechanism does not detect any difference, and continues to run the motor. So if I am able to disable it completely it should work well.

Other pointers about safety with the pinch guard are also very valid. But unfortunately we have the pinch guards on driver window only :-( in most cars.
Old 18th September 2015, 14:18   #9
BHPian

This is another "feature" of the developed world which is actually a hassle in Indian conditions.

Imagine this.
You lower the windows to buy "Gajra" at a long traffic light (I love the smell of flowers in the car). You are done with that transaction and then you get an aggressive beggar near the window. What do you do now? The pinchguard now becomes a security risk for you!

I have read cases of lady drivers putting their purses on the passenger seat ot dashboard and those getting flicked at traffic lights.

You see someone listing something from my car and try to rollup the window, but the pinch guard gives a big advantage to the thief!!

I have seen some pretty bad begger who are more of theives than beggars (I don't mean to generalize of hurt any feelings).
Old 5th October 2015, 09:10   #10

Hi Everyone,

Here is an update on what I tried ...

The WD-40 works, but it lasts only about 30 mins after which the problem is back.
Using oil on the window railing (which should not be used :-) ) also lasts for very little time.

I opened up the door panel to look a bit more and noticed that there is some play in the glass, and it moves sideways when it moves up. This could also be causing the obstruction in the mirror. I couldn't investigate further and closed up ... for another day.

Thanks,
Asif

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks