Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2015, 20:09   #16
BHPian

Re: Damaged Apron - Repair vs Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichared View Post
The MASS quoted a huge amount for the apron replacement and I seriously doubt their work.
Did you check whether insurance will be applicable?
Also I would advise getting a quote from multiple MASS's.
Local Garages would be ruled out unless and until you come across a really good one.
dpkbehera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 22:16   #17
BHPian

With my limited experience with apron repair
Issues in repairing

1) The pulling of apron and beating of parts result in weakening of metal and in due course of time it looses its integrity and strength.
2) The beating of metal result sin rusting after several years, issue with that rust to rusting at other places is that metal is already beated and even slight rust result it weakening of that part, and it can't be further grinded or beated for repairs because of this.
3) Alignment issues

Issues in Replacement
1) Alignment issues
2) Rusting at welding spots with due course of time
3) Resale value

Regards
Harish
hrsraghav is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 17:26   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkbehera View Post
Did you check whether insurance will be applicable?
Also I would advise getting a quote from multiple MASS's.
Local Garages would be ruled out unless and until you come across a really good one.
No, I have not considered checking the insurance. However I am not sure it the insurance covers an apron damage. Does it?

Will check with a couple of MASS. I might take a while as this would be a pet project of restoration. There is a lot more than the apron that needs attention. But the apron seem to take most of the expense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsraghav View Post
With my limited experience with apron repair
Issues in repairing

1) The pulling of apron and beating of parts result in weakening of metal and in due course of time it looses its integrity and strength.
2) The beating of metal result sin rusting after several years, issue with that rust to rusting at other places is that metal is already beated and even slight rust result it weakening of that part, and it can't be further grinded or beated for repairs because of this.
3) Alignment issues

Issues in Replacement
1) Alignment issues
3) Resale value

Regards
Harish
Thank you harish for putting those pointers together. Seem that the replacement has a slighter edge over replacement. The resale is out of question as this one is gonna stay with me for a long time.
Old 1st October 2015, 18:49   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsraghav View Post

Issues in Replacement
1) Alignment issues
3) Resale value
Thanks for the valuable points. I favor replacement of apron over repair anyday.

1. Alignment issues crop up only if replacement is done non-professionally without using proper jigs and supports. Again, if proper measurement and spot welding is done, the work comes out as good as new. Even small MASS now a days have those supports, but the only thing to watch out for is the quality of weld. Most small garages use gas welding, which obviously isn't as good as the spot one(which is used in factories)

2. If enough rust proofing is done at all stages(primer, pasting, paint etc), rusting is rarely seen. Rusting is something which can crop up even in factory painted cars, so this is something one needs to be vigilant about everytime.

3. I agree resale gets hit, but a "tire-eating" or misaligned car will hit the resale equally bad.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 19:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

A friend bought a car with a damaged apron, it was welded and repaired.

The car was always slating on one side despite complete suspension change (lower arms, struts, strut mounts, etc) and it never went away. Car didn't feel that well in handling.

My advice is to replace.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2015, 09:17   #21
Senior - BHPian

I am quite surprised. I always thought, damaged aprons meant = Total Loss damage counted by the insurers and the car to be chucked off and owner to get full IDV amount. This is news to me.

I for one would be really really sceptical about a dealership repairing aprons on a car, they dont get denting painting or other small stuff right. Aligning an apron by a dealership? This is some thing that is best done on the assembly line in a factory.

Is one allowed to claim Total loss value in case of damaged aprons?
Old 3rd October 2015, 10:03   #22
BHPian

As seen from the image below, the apron is comprises the following 3 parts i.e.
a) Apron Front Panel
b) Strut Tower
c) Apron Rear Panel

This comes as an entire one unit atleast in Maruti. I am not sure about others. A cross sectional replacement is always an option if the manufacturer endorses it which i do not think is the case in india.

So as long as the structural integrity is not compromised, repair should be considered as the first option. If not, replacement is always there.

From the following video, you can make out the strut tower location and its importance in the ride and handling of the vehicle due to the attachment of the strut assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
Damaged Apron - Repair vs Replacement-apron.jpg  

Last edited by dpkbehera : 3rd October 2015 at 10:05. Reason: Additional Information
Old 3rd October 2015, 13:05   #23
ISO
BANNED

From my experience so far 'Apron' and 'Cross member' problem is big headache in old car.

Little off topic. Is the 'body on frame' and 'double wishbone' type of suspension is less problematic, rugged compare to unibody?

Last edited by ISO : 3rd October 2015 at 13:06.
Old 3rd October 2015, 17:18   #24
BHPian

A query...
Camber, Caster and Toe reading indicate the health of wheel alignment. If the suspension is not right, even after doing the wheel alignment, will the readings have significant variations? Or is it that the variations will crop up after usage of the car (with suspension issues).
Old 10th October 2015, 11:46   #25
BHPian

We owned a Zen Diesel from 2003 to 2012. Dad crashed it through a pothole at around 120kmph once, and the wheel alignment went awry. Right wheel seemed to be a bit "behind" the left wheel, and the shock absorber didn't seem to work.

That was assessed as a damaged (twisted) apron, bent shocker strut, and some further damage to the wheel rims, etc.

MASS Trichy strongly advised against any repair even if it meant losing 1 day of our vacation, saying that long-term reliability would always remain an issue in terms of strength, wheel alignment & suspension. We also felt that that was right, and got the apron replaced. They took a day, welded a new apron, then checked alignment & fixed everything else. After that event, we used the car for nearly 3 years and never faced any issues that could have been traced back to the apron.

Needless to say, dad became a more careful driver too!
KSTejaswi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 12:04   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSTejaswi View Post
They took a day, welded a new apron, then checked alignment & fixed everything else.
This is amazing. Getting the apron replaced in one day is rare. Normally the MASS quotes one week for such kind of repairs.
Old 10th October 2015, 13:38   #27
BHPian

Well, I guess we were lucky they had the part, and they really did feel sorry that we'd be losing our vacation. They really were extremely quick! The best part was, the Service Head there even told us, that since his guys were working in a hurry, it would be better if we visited our usual MASS at Chennai after our trip. Which we did, and they reported no issues.
Old 18th June 2017, 23:21   #28
BHPian

I have a Alto K10 (2012 Model, 77k run). The left tyre of the car kept hitting the wheel arch even when the car went over minor potholes. The Maruti guys are telling me that this is due to a crack in the left Apron. Pictured below. The Service adviser is himself advising me to get it welded at a neighborhood body repair shop.

This news came to me when I decided to keep my car and not sell it off. Spending a lot of money already to get the car back in shape! - Service, seat covers etc!!

Any thoughts if I should go ahead with the Apron replacement or do a stop-gap welding for now? Or, Should I sell off the car? More importantly, is this the reason for the fender to touch the tyre?
Attached Thumbnails
Damaged Apron - Repair vs Replacement-aproncrack.jpg  

Old 19th June 2017, 11:48   #29
BHPian

First try out the option of stop-gap welding and see how it works for you. It will not cost more than Rs 1000. Any Apron related issue depreciates the value of the car. Incase you were planning for a new car, it is advisable to sell it.
dpkbehera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 16:11   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkbehera View Post
First try out the option of stop-gap welding and see how it works for you. It will not cost more than Rs 1000. Any Apron related issue depreciates the value of the car. Incase you were planning for a new car, it is advisable to sell it.
Any suggestions by you or fellow bhpians for a good shop in Bangalore where I can get this done?

Most Viewed