Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2006, 16:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

OHC VTEC Problem

Hi guys,

I've been facing a problem with my VTEC for the past 10 days or so. Basically it started one night when I was driving back from Delhi the car started missing in the low-rpm ranges & the power went down a bit, now since I was on the highway I couldn't stop anywhere so I limped back home slowly.

Next morning I had it checked in the garage & the plugs were fine so we opened up the Fuel Filter & that was full of dirt so we replaced it with a new one. After this the car drove fine for a couple of days. But in a few days she started to again have this mild stutter as if there was a fuel starvation issue.

Now the interesting thing to note is that if I use the car only for in-town work then this problem does not occur. But when I use her for extended periods of let's say over half an hour then this issue starts happening and the car goes down on power & starts stuttering.

Today I had gone to the garage and the engineer after listening to the point of stuttering after 30 mins of usage said that it's a fuel pump issue & he'll have to change it to sort out the issue.

Do you think his assessment is right?? Or can there be any other problem?

Details of the car:
2003 OHC VTEC
113,000 kms done.
Old 9th September 2006, 16:47   #2
BANNED

Hi,

I think he is right. If you had not said his assesment I would have pointed out the fuel pump only.

Viper
Old 9th September 2006, 17:02   #3
BHPian

Yes.It's fuel pump problem for sure.But instead of replacing it right now,get it cleaned at dealership.You might be able to avoid expenses for a few thousand kms.
Old 9th September 2006, 17:55   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sans33
Yes.It's fuel pump problem for sure.But instead of replacing it right now,get it cleaned at dealership.You might be able to avoid expenses for a few thousand kms.

Hey,

Would recommend you change the motor if its is the problem, should not cost more than 2k including fitting charges instead of waiting for the fuel pump to fail on you and being stranded in the middle of nowhere. Better to spend 2 k know than spend on towing etc. later

Viper
Old 9th September 2006, 19:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
Hey,

Would recommend you change the motor if its is the problem, should not cost more than 2k including fitting charges instead of waiting for the fuel pump to fail on you and being stranded in the middle of nowhere. Better to spend 2 k know than spend on towing etc. later

Viper
I agree, and in your case, you might end up being stranded in the middle of the highway at night - definitely avoidable!
Old 9th September 2006, 19:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey,

Viper
Thanks for the advice guys and for the concern too. I've had a chat with him & we've decided to open up the pump & clean it & see if it helps. Also if the motor is faulty we'll replace that too since its about 2-3k.

But if both these factors don't help then we will change the pump. He said the cost would be around 8.5k (he wasn't sure) Any of you guys have an idea about the cost??

I'm the last person who would like to be stranded on one of my routine journeys and so am very particular about the maintenance of my cars.
Old 9th September 2006, 19:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75
raghava, You should have gotten this checked at the tuners garage that you went to ... maybe a turbo installation wud have cleared this problem !!!
Cheers
Haan why not!! Jo chal raha hai woh bhi bund ho jaayega saala Like I said to you earlier Khaadu, rather than getting my car worked upon from him I will set fire to it with my own hands!
Old 9th September 2006, 19:30   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
Thanks for the advice guys and for the concern too. I've had a chat with him & we've decided to open up the pump & clean it & see if it helps. Also if the motor is faulty we'll replace that too since its about 2-3k.

But if both these factors don't help then we will change the pump. He said the cost would be around 8.5k (he wasn't sure) Any of you guys have an idea about the cost??

I'm the last person who would like to be stranded on one of my routine journeys and so am very particular about the maintenance of my cars.
Hey,

Listen to me change the motor you will not regret the decision. Cleaning it will not solve this problem. There is definitely no need to change the entire pump as 99% the problems(car wont start, shuts after a while, jerking etc) get solved by changing the motor. 8.5k is a decent price costs aroung 6k in Mumbai. The OE Honda fuel pump assembly is expensive. I think GTO mentioned it was around 14k as we changed his Fuel Pump motor last month.

Viper
Old 9th September 2006, 19:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey,

Listen to me change the motor you will not regret the decision. Cleaning it will not solve this problem. There is definitely no need to change the entire pump as 99% the problems(car wont start, shuts after a while, jerking etc) get solved by changing the motor. 8.5k is a decent price costs aroung 6k in Mumbai. The OE Honda fuel pump assembly is expensive. I think GTO mentioned it was around 14k as we changed his Fuel Pump motor last month.

Viper
Yeah Viper that's what we plan to do. He also mentioned that 99% of the time these things are solved by changing the motor, no need to change the whole assembly.
Old 9th September 2006, 21:13   #10
BHPian

If you want a fuel pump, you can get a VDO one which is made siemens, its a good brand.. Costs roughly around 1300-1900rs. Get it replaced at a known garage rather than the Honda Dealership.

Last edited by z klasse : 9th September 2006 at 21:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks