Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2006, 14:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Suspension Prob+some more probs

Guys got the MRF ZVTS 145/80/r12 fixed in my 800 today.Got 5 tyres for 8000 bucks with alignment and balancing.I got the tyres from Gaurdex MRF tyre showroom in chembur.
After getting the alignment and balancing done we went for a test ride and took a left turn from signal and then he left the steering the car was going very slightly towards the left.Then we took a U turn on the right side and thne check kiya car was excatly going straight.
He said some suspension kit or something u ll need to change.It costs about 400 bucks for a pair which has to be fixed on the right as well as the left side.
It brings the suspension back in its place after a turn.He said he ll do the alignment again after i get the kit fixed as the alignment goes after we fix this new kit
I wanted to know what kit is this?is this something serious?
One more thing my car was stranded on the road yesterday.It just would not start and i got a fuel smell and petrol comming out from the exhaust.THis happened in my building and it did not start for sometime
After that i got down and just turned the keys and it started even without me pressing the accelerator.Went to my friends place which is about 200 meters from my place.Stopped the car and when we tried startin it to leave.It would start for half a second and then die.This happened for half n hour and then ultimately she started
In between while we were driving again she stopped even thought i was accelerating.
Then everything went cool and no stopping anywhere even thought i started and stopped the car
Today morning she started in one crank wihtout any fuss.
I want to know what the problem was and should i get something checked at the service station?
The top speed has gone down a little but the low rpm torque has increased.
Please tell me what to do?
Old 10th September 2006, 20:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

technical gurus...atleast someone answer please.
Old 10th September 2006, 20:26   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum
Guys got the MRF ZVTS 145/80/r12 fixed in my 800 today.Got 5 tyres for 8000 bucks with alignment and balancing.I got the tyres from Gaurdex MRF tyre showroom in chembur.
After getting the alignment and balancing done we went for a test ride and took a left turn from signal and then he left the steering the car was going very slightly towards the left.Then we took a U turn on the right side and thne check kiya car was excatly going straight.
He said some suspension kit or something u ll need to change.It costs about 400 bucks for a pair which has to be fixed on the right as well as the left side.
It brings the suspension back in its place after a turn.He said he ll do the alignment again after i get the kit fixed as the alignment goes after we fix this new kit
I wanted to know what kit is this?is this something serious?
One more thing my car was stranded on the road yesterday.It just would not start and i got a fuel smell and petrol comming out from the exhaust.THis happened in my building and it did not start for sometime
After that i got down and just turned the keys and it started even without me pressing the accelerator.Went to my friends place which is about 200 meters from my place.Stopped the car and when we tried startin it to leave.It would start for half a second and then die.This happened for half n hour and then ultimately she started
In between while we were driving again she stopped even thought i was accelerating.
Then everything went cool and no stopping anywhere even thought i started and stopped the car
Today morning she started in one crank wihtout any fuss.
I want to know what the problem was and should i get something checked at the service station?
The top speed has gone down a little but the low rpm torque has increased.
Please tell me what to do?

Hi,

I guess he is probably referring to the strut kit which sometimes causes this problem. As far as your second issue goes I think your Carb is flooded and you are probably running a rich mixture. Nothing to worry about. Just get your Carb tuned and your problem should be solved.

Viper
Old 10th September 2006, 20:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

strut kit..well that must be it.Where exactly is it placed?how much will cost to get a new pair?do i need to get it asap or it can wait and i can use the car for sometime?
I just got the carb tuned before say one and half month.he inserted a puc testing probe and tuned the carb.
Although my car has been minimally used in this in month and has run only 200 km with gaps in between of a week without any run.
Could it be because of low running ?because when it used to run regularly there was no problem of flooding anytime.

Rohan
Old 10th September 2006, 22:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

If it's costing 400 bucks then it might be the lower arms that the mech is referrng to. That's what is changed when the alignment can't be done correctly.

when you're changin lower arms, you can get the Zen lower arms which are a bt more expensive but more sturdy. You'll have to use Zen stabiliser bar bushes with it though.

Strut kit costs more than 1200 each.

Lower arms are the arms (horizontal) which connect the hub to the subframe. Strut kit is front damper (comes with & without springs u have to specify), it's the vertical thing.

Last edited by Sankar : 10th September 2006 at 22:58.
Old 11th September 2006, 00:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hey sankar..
No there is no alignment problem.It has been done properly.He was not refering to the lower arm.Strut Kit costing 1200 bucks for an 800 :O dude are u serious?coz strut kit is just the rubber part in the bonnet which we have to loosen th 3 bolts and remove and replace with a new one.I dont think the rubber parts(pair) will be as costly as 1200 bucks.
The only problem the alignment fellow said is that the suspension is not returning back to its stratight postion after taking a turn at the pace it should be returning and he told me some name which i forgot needs to be replaced when viper mentioned strut kit it instantly struck my head that alignment fellow was also talkin about this only..
What do u think about this sankar let me know..

Last edited by humyum : 11th September 2006 at 00:12.
Old 11th September 2006, 21:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

I thought it was the complete front strut damper(without springs) that costs 1200 approx, the thing you are saying which is under the bonnet is the top strut mount, with two bolts with which it is mount to the body and one nut going over the damper rod, it is cheaper it costs around 400 as u said. Usually that won't need to be replaced even when changing the struts.

I doubt changing that would clear our problem... unless those mounts are really worn out and is not supporting the strut properly. If that is worn out you could hear thud thud sounds while going over bad surfaces. Anyways get the opinion of another mech.
Old 12th September 2006, 14:45   #8
BHPian

My Esteem had a problem recently where it would pull in one direction while accelerating and pull in the opposite direction while decelerating (not related with braking) ... problem was solved by replacing all the bushes on both sides... turned out that one was cracked and was allowing excess play.

This cost me less than 500 bucks.

- T u r b o C -
Old 16th September 2006, 02:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Got the entire suspension system checked..no fault found..Although the alignment was already done by the MRF guys from which i bought the tyres the maruti authroised service station guys did it again and charged 150 for alignment and 120 rupees for toe in toe out settings.From what i understand the alignment guys only do the caster camber settings and not the toe in toe out settings.
After getting the alignment+toe in toe out done from the authorised service station the pulling problem is all gone.The car goes in a perfectly straight line.

Most Viewed