Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2004, 23:54   #1
BHPian

Guyzz .. i got a gtx tornado... the car has run 50 thousand km and is in excellent condition...except wen i start the car early fer the 1st time in the day ...it gives a very squeeky noise ... it sounds more like some belt slippin .. i wanna get rid of tat prob...plz advice
Old 8th June 2004, 00:43   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Like you have already mentioend, Probably one of your belts needs to be tightened. Go to your garage and get it fixed. Its a 2 minute job

GTO
Old 8th June 2004, 17:42   #3
Team-BHP Support

funny thing that happened to me also.. Ikon used to give the same prob tightened the nbelt n still it was there, broke the head on it for weeks and finally changing the guide pulley bearing (under warranty) solved it lol..

usually it will be coz of belt slack mine was a onique case just thought of sharing it..
Old 8th June 2004, 18:30   #4
BHPian

hey jags.. thnx fer sharin it ... atleast i know somethin like tat cud happen..so i wont rack my brains over again ...unless tightenin the n belt doesnt work
Old 27th September 2009, 17:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

We have Indigo XL Grand DiCOR bought in May 2007. The car has run 89,000 kms. I have replaced the Alternator Belt (or AC Belt) 8 times due to the Wearing out of the belt. Also there is Often Squeaking noise from the belt. I have to get it adjusted (tightened) every 8-10 days. But still the noise does not go. I even replaced the Belt Tensioner. But still the noise comes.
Can experts please help me on this?
Old 27th September 2009, 18:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

The belt rating is incorrect for the torque needed by the equipment driven by the belt. Wherever the belt is moving faster than the driven pulley, or the drive pulley is moving faster than the belt, there will be a squeal since the rubber is no longer gripping the metal. This is similar to squeal produced by tires when skidding.

Jaggu, in your case the bearing 'failure' was causing the belt to slip past the pulley. This could also be the case if the driven elements - alternator, AC, water pump, guide pulley etc. need more torque to rotate them due to bearing aging.

It is also likely the pulley surface exposed to the belt is too 'nice' (smooth), or there is a film of oil on the belt. Old mechanics used to rub some chalk on the belt surface and clean that.

Last edited by DerAlte : 27th September 2009 at 18:31.
Old 27th September 2009, 23:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

You have not answered my Query despite that I digged out the old topic. So please do the needful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
It is also likely the pulley surface exposed to the belt is too 'nice' (smooth), or there is a film of oil on the belt. Old mechanics used to rub some chalk on the belt surface and clean that.
The TASS mechanic also does the same thing for our Indigo XL Grand DiCOR. He rubs Chalk whenever I take the car to him for the Belt Squealing noise. But 4-5 days hence again the noise crops up.
Old 28th September 2009, 12:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Does the guide pulley rotate freely (without the belt)?

Next time when you go to the service center, ask the guys to check each individual pulley for tightness - AC, alternator, etc. The torque needs of the equipment is too much for the belt that you use, so perhaps you need to change to a higher rating belt.

Or, one of the pulley surfaces is worn out resulting in poor grip by the belt - replace that pulley. A good mechanic should be able to make out by looking at the V-profile of the pulley.
Old 28th September 2009, 15:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks DerAlte, I will carry out out advice and see if the problem sorts out.
Old 28th September 2009, 16:14   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Thanks DerAlte, I will carry out out advice and see if the problem sorts out.
Worn out belts, Water pump, alternator, A/C compressor and idler bearings could all cause the squeakin noise. Pulleys may not cause the squeak unless the belt is loose. Pulley alignment if out could damage the belts and cause squeak.
Using chalk powder is what we call "Kittunni Mechanism".

Last edited by sudharma : 28th September 2009 at 16:17. Reason: correction & addition

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks