Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2006, 08:59   #1
BHPian

hi pals..

i have malfunction ligh glowing in my innova, need some help on it..
how worse it would be and what might have caused it..
i checked the manual it says take it to the Toyota delear.. i will be doing it soon..

Mods : if theard is repeated forgive me.. and move this thread...
Old 13th September 2006, 12:26   #2
DRC
BHPian

I dont think you can infer anything unless you hook it to a computer. So do as suggested in the manual.. take it to a dealer.
Old 14th September 2006, 13:51   #3
BHPian

now in the evening when I was above to take it to Toyota Service center the malfunction light stopped glowing.. what does this mean.. even though I took it to the Service Center Ravindu Toyota, their they told that they cannot trap the malfunction if the light is not glowing and asked me to come next time when the light glows..
it is really weird can anybody explain or have faced same kind of problem in the past?
Old 21st September 2006, 15:44   #4

Any Malfunction code will be registered in the ECU. So even if the light goes off on its own it will be still there in the ECU memory. But if the battery terminal is disconnected and then connected then there are chances that the memory may be lost .
Old 21st September 2006, 16:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bangalore
now in the evening when I was above to take it to Toyota Service center the malfunction light stopped glowing..
May be bad fuel - same thing happened on my Dicor, except that the ECU stops fuel supply (throttle is electronic and therefore does not respond) as soon as the warning glows. The warning light may stop after a while but it usually reappears until the filter is cleaned.

PS: excuse my fixation for this cure if you've heard it before, but I found it very interesting that the engine wont take in fuel when it detects a spiked drink....none of us could figure out what exactly went wrong.

Last edited by Steeroid : 21st September 2006 at 16:28.
Old 22nd September 2006, 01:59   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bangalore
now in the evening when I was above to take it to Toyota Service center the malfunction light stopped glowing.. what does this mean.. even though I took it to the Service Center Ravindu Toyota, their they told that they cannot trap the malfunction if the light is not glowing and asked me to come next time when the light glows..
it is really weird can anybody explain or have faced same kind of problem in the past?
"Check Engine/Malfunction" light can glow for lot of reasons.As people stated only with the decoder you can read the exact reasons.
some basic things you can check by yourself.
1.Check the fuel cap is closed tightly (if the fuel cap is not closed properly it may send signals to the ECM.I experienced it myself in my friend's Corolla).

2."Adultrated Fuel".I am not sure in this but some of my friends told me this can trigger the signals.

3.Very High Rev at lower gear.once I just raised the car to check how far it can go in the rev meter and ended up lighting my "check engine" light.After a visit to the dealer it was found that nothing wrong and the high rev at low gear sends some caution signals to ECM which caused the "Check Engine" light.

4.Check Tire Pressure.though tire pressure is not directly related to ECU the if it is too low the engine may experience higher load and this may send signals to ECM.

Do not disconnect the battery and try to reset the light.It may cause lot of other issues like below.

Disconnecting the battery will cause basic settings of the vehicle's computer to be erased (e.g. idle settings, fuel trim settings, etc.)
- the Readiness code will be erased, which may prevent your car from completing an emissions test. (Readiness code is an indication that certain emission control components of your car have been self-tested)

- the radio, if code-protected, may be locked after disconnecting the battery

- the "check engine" light will come back anyway if the problem still exist.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks