Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2004, 16:39   #1
Team-BHP Support

Hey Guys,

A couple of days ago i was driving along marine drive in 4th gear at about 2000RPM and the accelerator pedal just went dead.... the car just held the revvs at 2000Rpm almost as if cruise control was on!
I downshifted and then the engine came back to life.

Again last nite i was driving along marine drive at exactly the same place, 2000Rpm again, and the same thing happened! Except this time it was more like the engine died than "cruise controlled". I downshifted and it was like engine braking rather than it comming back to life like last time. I switched off and started up immediately and it was fine.

Then once again on my way home it just died, except when i pressed the accelerator it would hold the speed, and when i left the accelerator is seemed to decelerate slightly.... if i pressed the clutch, the engine would still not respond to the accelerator.
Switched off, started up...all fine again.

Happened once more at worli sea face.

This sounds like a ECU problem to me.... maybe the humidity has fouled the system a bit
Its just the ignition that gets messed up IMO, it has only happened to me while the car is in motion... so luckily PS and brake booster (as well as all electricals) were functioning coz the engine was still turning.

I will check all the electricals for loose connections. Have booked a service appointment anyway,
but was just wondering if you guys had any better ideas or if you had ever heard of anything like this happening?

cya
R
Old 16th August 2004, 16:51   #2
Team-BHP Support

could be a sticky throttle body
Old 16th August 2004, 17:02   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

It could be water getting in due to the monsoons... Stop racing thru those puddles to splash water on the chix walking on the footpath *

Old 16th August 2004, 17:08   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Topic moved to Technical section

Just the fact that switching the car off and restarting solves the problem makes me believe that its an ECU issue.

GTO
Old 16th August 2004, 17:48   #5
Team-BHP Support

hmmm....lets not leave out the paranormal! Since it happened at exactly the same place both times...maybe there is a strange magnetic force acting on a car which traverses that section of tarmac at exactly the engine RPM and speed as Rehaan's car was doing. This in turn would cause the unidentifiable magnetic field to interfere with the cars ECU, the brain if you will, causing the said problem.

OR

It could be an ECU problem

Rtech

P.s. it would help if you read the above post with the twilight zone soundtrack playing in the background!
Old 16th August 2004, 19:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

LOL, i think Rehaans car is being watched by the "Third Kind". Careful Rehaan, soon you might have little green, big eyed , bald creatures running around yor place.

Like Rtech said, if it has happened at the same place, then there is a remote chance of some sort of magnetic or some other field acting on the ECU, but the question is, Y only Rehaan's Accent?? There must have been so many other cars with ECUs in them.

Or

it could be due to moisture, even my Vtec felt underpowered, had a lot of engine braking and throttle lag last week, when the weather was cold and rainy.
Yesterday, the sun broke out and the car is back to normal functioning. I feel the weather does affect the car in a way.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 16th August 2004, 19:14   #7
Team-BHP Support

moisture shouldnt ideally cause probs and thats one of the reason why ecu are accomodated inside the car.. sensors yup can get affected (theorotically).. but chances are less or u will be in trouble everytime after a pressure wash like the ol points m800 and fiat padminis... get ur car electricals and ecu checked thoroughly..
san ur prob can be a bad quality fuel or u getting bogged down in water collecting on the roads..
Old 16th August 2004, 19:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

hey rehaan,

the cars asking u to floor the accelerator maan..... 4th gear at 2000 rpm..

it cud be the ecu acting up...but not due to rains..cud be loose wiring or some other problem...

cheers

Old 16th August 2004, 20:09   #9
Team-BHP Support

Hey Ajmat,

Sticky throttle body... hmm....thats an interesting alternative to ECU problem, but i doubt it, because the engine is not firing at all.

GTO, oops....lol..i had that weird feeling when i posted that i shld be posting somewhere else...lol. Yup, i cant think of it being anything else other than a ECU problem as well...but was just wondering if anyone cld think of any other possibilities.

Rtech, i was SERIOUSLY considering that there was some strange sort of EMF at that point on marine drive!!.. i was gonna turn around and go back there and do the same thing same speed and same gear......but on my way it happened again so i gave up on that idea!

Jaggu, even though ECUs are inside the humidity has just been so high lately, so i just thought of that as a possible cause for what i am pretty sure is a ECU problem. About it being bad fuel, nope, theres absolutely no jerking or sputtering form the engine

Sahil, Shan2nu, N_C, well i havent been doing much splashing lately

Anyway, will let you guys know after my service (on wednesday 18th Aug 2004)... i wonder if their diagnostics system will be able to tell me anything...

cya
R
Old 16th August 2004, 20:14   #10
Team-BHP Support

ECUs are sealed units so chances of moisture getting inside are next to impossible, check sensor terminals and wiring thoroughly.. and bad fuel reply was for shan2nu.. lazy me typing lol
Old 16th August 2004, 20:41   #11
Team-BHP Support

Good point Jaggu.....

It is definitely an ignition related problem, i moved around everything electrical in the engine bay today, lets see what diff that makes. The reason ECU seems most apt is coz everything is fine after a "reboot" lol, but these things work in strange ways.

cya
R
Old 17th August 2004, 01:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't the Accent have a warning signal if anything goes wrong in the engine?? If that light isn't blinking then nothins wrong, unless ofcourse the light is fused out. LOL

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 17th August 2004, 04:21   #13
BANNED

rehaan i think i know wht u tlking bot. i got some chip changed as well. i forgot the name damn . it was cheap though. happ to me a cpl of times. i got it changed since it happ when i was on the expressway. scary shit. after i changed it works fine now.
Old 17th August 2004, 11:25   #14
Team-BHP Support

yup Rehaan.. if any of the sensors/inputs malfunction, the ecu has to be rebooted..
Old 17th August 2004, 17:55   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Jaggu @ Aug. 17 2004,09:55)]yup Rehaan.. if any of the sensors/inputs malfunction, the ecu has to be rebooted..
Ahh....i did not know that....
makes sense, but doesnt seem like a very good procedure though!! :P
Is it neccessary to restart the ECU in all cars if there is a sensor malfunction? Or can some ECUs resume on the fly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]i got some chip changed as well. i forgot the name damn
Hey Jesal, plz try n think, or atleast tell me the cost involved.. was it not covered underwarranty? and dont you have a CRDi ??
(Still waiting for ur XDAII review btw)

cya
R

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks