Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2016, 16:08   #1

VW Polo TDI: ECU is hanging by the wires!

Hi,

It has just been 2 weeks since I had my Polo's first service done at KUN VW Madras, Alandur.

Today I opened my car's bonnet to remove some leaves while cleaning and found that the ECU wasn't in its usual position. Moved it a bit to confirm and yes, it was loose and hanging by the wires without any fastening. I remember seeing it in its proper position before giving it for service. Though I checked for oil level, coolant level etc after service, I failed to notice this.

And there appears to be some plastic cover remnants sticking out of the ECU edges also. I am worried if the ASS tampered with something. I asked them before service if they will be doing something to the ecu due to the diesel scandal, but they said my car's batch wasn't affected and they wouldn't be doing anything. Does anybody know how to fix this. Can a simple DIY solve this or should I be taking it to the service centre? Being a Sunday the SA isn't picking up my calls also. Please help.

I have added pics of how the ECU was when I found it ; me holding it up in the correct position with my hand and the weird plastic sticking out of the ECU edges.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo TDI: ECU is hanging by the wires!-img_20160221_154120.jpg  

VW Polo TDI: ECU is hanging by the wires!-img_20160221_154211.jpg  

VW Polo TDI: ECU is hanging by the wires!-img_20160221_154215.jpg  

VW Polo TDI: ECU is hanging by the wires!-img_20160221_154224.jpg  

VW Polo TDI: ECU is hanging by the wires!-img_20160221_154234.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 22nd February 2016 at 11:03. Reason: Formatting
Old 21st February 2016, 19:58   #2
BHPian

re: VW Polo TDI: ECU is hanging by the wires!

Your ECU has been removed from the OEM mounting position. This is for damn certain. Now what needs to be ascertained is whether or not this was done for some warranty check or to rip off an unsuspecting customer and make a quick buck. Here's what you need to do:

1. Don't disturb the current setup. Leave it as it is. If I'm not mistaken, it is still being held in place by a screw on the bottom (not pictured here, but you can look from the sides).

2. Don't mention about this to the SA. Just ask the SA that you would like to meet the VW Service Engineer on site. If not, atleast ask to speak to the Dealer Service Manager. In the presence of the SA, standing next to the car and keeping the bonnet closed, ask them if they tried to remove / touch the ECU in the car.

3. Once they start talking, show them the dangling ECU inside the bonnet. Ask them politely if that is the only part dangling inside the car right now..!!

4. Ask them to put the car on a 2-post lift and personally inspect the undercarriage. If something seems fishy / amiss, raise an alarm and create a ruckus. This ought to make them understand that no work should be left incomplete.

Do give us all an update in this regard.

Cheers & Safe Driving

Last edited by GTO : 22nd February 2016 at 11:04. Reason: Quoted post edited
Surya-TJet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2016, 20:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surya-TJet View Post
Your ECU has been removed from the OEM mounting position. This is for damn certain. Now what needs to be ascertained is whether or not this was done for some warranty check or to rip off an unsuspecting customer and make a quick buck. Here's what you need to do:

1. Don't disturb the current setup. Leave it as it is. If I'm not mistaken, it is still being held in place by a screw on the bottom (not pictured here, but you can look from the sides).

2. Don't mention about this to the SA. Just ask the SA that you would like to meet the VW Service Engineer on site. If not, atleast ask to speak to the Dealer Service Manager. In the presence of the SA, standing next to the car and keeping the bonnet closed, ask them if they tried to remove / touch the ECU in the car.

3. Once they start talking, show them the dangling ECU inside the bonnet. Ask them politely if that is the only part dangling inside the car right now..!!

4. Ask them to put the car on a 2-post lift and personally inspect the undercarriage. If something seems fishy / amiss, raise an alarm and create a ruckus. This ought to make them understand that no work should be left incomplete.

Do give us all an update in this regard.

Cheers & Safe Driving
Hi,
Thanks for the response . I just figured out that there are two mounting points both at the top and bottom right side corners in plastic where the ECU is wedged in. Theres no screw whatsoever . The ECU is totally hanging just by the wiring connections . That is why Iam trying to atleast temporarily fix it onto the plastic holders so that it doesnt get unplugged or something on the way to the service centre .These guys have been pissing me off since the day I went for PDI of my car . If only there was a way to give them a taste of their own medicine.Anyway back to the point . I will take it to them and do what you suggested .Meanwhile can any diesel polo owners confirm if there is supposed to be some screw to hold it in place or is it just clipped on to the plastic holders .Thanks
Old 21st February 2016, 20:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Do register a complaint with the VW Helpline. It is taken very seriously and the matter won't be closed until you sign that customer satisfaction paper. They may try to make you sign that paper but please don't budge until you're thoroughly satisfied. Yes, the service managers, advisors will be after you!!! It has to be experienced to believe.
Turbohead is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2016, 20:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

You are not supposed to wash the engine during service, but some of the dealers wrap a plastic bag around the ECU and wash the engine. Your dealer must have done that, and pulled out the ECU from the mounting while removing the bag.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 00:05   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
You are not supposed to wash the engine during service, but some of the dealers wrap a plastic bag around the ECU and wash the engine. Your dealer must have done that, and pulled out the ECU from the mounting while removing the bag.

Rahul
I had especially informed my SA not to pressure wash the engine bay and also asked if they had followed that instruction and he said yes .But what you are saying seems to be a possible explanation for the scenario . Meanwhile I checked my friend's polo 1.2 TSI and the ECU is mounted only on two plastic clips top and bottom on the right side corners of the ECU , no screw in that also . I tried fixing the ECU (in my car) onto the clips however it seems a bit loose .Iam planning to take the car to the service centre and then raise a complaint also as Turbohead had suggested . Lets see what they have to say after that.
Old 29th February 2016, 16:18   #7
BHPian

Re: VW Polo TDI: ECU is hanging by the wires!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusk Tiger View Post

I have added pics of how the ECU was when I found it ; me holding it up in the correct position with my hand and the weird plastic sticking out of the ECU edges.
This is a perennial problem with VW Polo ECU mounting it seems. I'd faced the same issue 3 years back. Check link http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3147506

I faced it during a long drive and literally I had to tie a small rope to keep it in place. It came out twice like that and for some reason it's staying good now. It's just a snug fit. However I'm not sure about the plastic stuff sticking on your ECU which was not there in my case.
sajusherief is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 23:01   #8

Re: VW Polo TDI: ECU is hanging by the wires!

Took the car to the service center today. The SA assured me that nothing was done to the ECU and a workshop person was referred, who claimed that a few vehicles had already come in with that issue and that they fixed it back and zip-tied it to prevent future mishaps. And according to him the plastic thing is supposedly there for them to identify the location to pry open the ECU casing. I wasn't keen on arguing with them. Just left the car there and asked them to fix it because I also have a minor body work to be done.

Most Viewed