Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2006, 09:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

How superior is synthetic oil over the normal 15W oils ?

I have recently noticed that my car is always tending to overheat when driven around a higher rpm range quicker than it used to be . As a temporary solution I decided to use Synthetic engine oil , Valvoline 5W to be specific . It comes to around 500 / lit . I could have opted for a better one thats Mobil for 800 / lit but I wasnt really confident about end results .
My car has almost completed 110000 . Val. has been filled after flushing the engine for 5 times (4 times with flushing oil and once with diesel ) . The funny part is even after all this when I checked the oil after warming the engine , the oil was still looking dark and there was no way one can identify the difference between fresh oil and used one . After doing a small tissue paper test for carbon deposit , its evident that engine oil is new but the dark colour is still very disappointing to look at .....having flushed it almost 5 times.

Now coming back to my driving exp. after having filled this . After around say 40 kms of run , engine is definitely running smoother , just to test it I tried ripping the car with car doing 3000 - 3500 rpm (my wild guess ) and its feeling way smoother . Its not exactly a revolutionary change but the change is well worth the extra penny I had shelled out considering the oil change interval has been extended to almost 30 % though the cost of running / km has increased by around 17 ps .I used to service this car every 7500 kms but now I need to only after 10000 kms . The recent addition of K & N coupled with a better grade engine oil has given a new lease of life to my work horse . Am waiting to open up the engine to its top speed.
Old 25th September 2006, 09:35   #2
BHPian

did you change your oil filter, if not then this could be the reason for blackning of oil
Old 25th September 2006, 10:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yes I do it every time I change the oil.

Yes I do it everytime , I'll see in next service . Should get better with this.
Old 25th September 2006, 10:56   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

To answer your question:

1. Synthetic oil has far superior lubricating property than regular oil. I use synthetic only in all my cars.

2. It is NOT the solution to an overheating engine.
Old 25th September 2006, 11:17   #5
Team-BHP Support

Am using Mobil 1 on the Vtec

Car has not been serviced for past 7500 km and still does not need it despite some hard driving on track
Engine revs like crazy
Fuel economy improved slightly
Old 25th September 2006, 11:31   #6
BHPian

Any advantage/disadvantage of using Synthetic Oil in a diesel engine (DI or Common Rail)?
Old 25th September 2006, 12:27   #7
Team-BHP Support

Diesels have a different make available from Mobil 1 called Delvac. Dont use Synthetic oils made for petrol engines in Diesel engines.
Old 25th September 2006, 18:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre
Diesels have a different make available from Mobil 1 called Delvac. Dont use Synthetic oils made for petrol engines in Diesel engines.
Am not using Mobil 1 , am using Valvoline .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
To answer your question:

2. It is NOT the solution to an overheating engine.
I never said its a permanent solution , due to improved lubrication heat will be dissapiated in a much better way thats all I had meant .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks