Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2006, 08:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tread pattern – Its affect on the over all grip of the car.

Thread pattern – Its effect (...sorry not affect )on the over all grip of the car.

As seen in F1 ,they use grooved ones on a dry day and wets in wet .

Accordingly its evident that the latter provides more surface area of contact and hence higher the grip . Why aren’t we experiencing similar properties on road ? Lack of grip is clearly evident when we attempting for 1st gear – 2nd Gear wheel spin . In my case I had tested (in a perfectly flat road with very less particles on the road in summer ,didn’t check the road temperature though ) a GIII potenza and I found out that worn out ones give better wheel spins and in fact they slide a lot more under hard braking again emphasizing the fact that they are not gripping properly . Shouldn’t this be the opposite ? I mean a worn out tyre pattern should be giving better grip right taking into account just surface area of contact theory ? I am not talking about rubber compound whether its soft or hard .

Just a deviation on the same topic . Which tyre do you feel is the most suitable for wet roads . A few days back I tried testing three of them in a water logged area of a road approach speed around 60 kmph. I tried on Brigestone S322 , GIII and Yokohama FES XXXX . The car shod with GIII was pulled to a side whereas the other two tyres kept a near straight line . Which tyre you have tried feels the best in wet ?

Last edited by maxbhp : 26th September 2006 at 08:20.
Old 26th September 2006, 09:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well this does happen due to the rubber compound's hardness. It does tend to get hard with age and by the time the tyre has done it life cycle you will find that the compound has hardened a lot. So a worn out tyre will not give you the grip that a new tyre or a tyre with its thread in proper condition.

Also if you take a look at any thread design they are optimised for gripping the road depending on what kind of tyres they are. The small squarish grooves dig into the road when you try to wheel spin and hold the road much better.

In Formula 1 the tyre compound is at least 10 - 12 times softer than a street use tyre compound.

Taking these couple of factors into consideration a new tyre is more difficult to wheel spin than an old and worn out tyre.

Vikram
Old 26th September 2006, 10:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Wont tyre get harder due to prolonged exposure to harsh climate ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d
Taking these couple of factors into consideration a new tyre is more difficult to wheel spin than an old and worn out tyre.

Vikram
Wont tyre get harder due to prolonged exposure to harsh climate , so I guess leave that will be a whole new topic for debate.....?
Old 26th September 2006, 19:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Tyres get hard hard due to a number of conditions. A couple of examples.

1. Heating & cooling cycles even during normal driving.
2. Like you mentioned prolonged exposure to harsh weather.
3. Rubber itself as a compound hardens with age.
Old 26th September 2006, 20:59   #5
BHPian

as for as i know threads in our road cars are mainly for squeezing out the water from the road to avoid aquaplaning ... the thread should not be very less the ACI 's one rupee rule works well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks