Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2016, 14:39   #1
BHPian

Line-X: An indestructible coating that you can apply to anything!

Came across a video recently (apparently not available on Youtube now) regarding an indestructible coating spray for vehicles. The coating is also been used in pentagon to protect against bomb blasts.

It seems to be a spray on coating. They have done quite a lot of work on off-roading vehicle and even normal hatchbacks and sedans. I searched the site and found quite a few dealers in india, mainly in Mumbai and Karnataka.

Has anyone used this stuff? I was thinking if our bumpers are coated with such stuff, would really be great. Considering the driving style followed here in India. I recently got my bumpers repaired, even though I am a very good driver.

Company website - http://www.linex.com

Last edited by GTO : 1st August 2016 at 09:33. Reason: Replacing video link as the old one is dead
shravan2k2 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 16:01   #2
BHPian

re: Line-X: An indestructible coating that you can apply to anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shravan2k2 View Post
Came to know of this video recently regarding an indestructible coating spray for vehicles.
Hey there.

LineX is really an amazing product. Coincidence or what, I do not know, but I was just doing some research on this a few days back.

There are videos all over the Internet that show things like eggs, fruits, and things alike, all coated in LineX. It literally toughens them enough to take on some serious beating.
And also needless to say, some guys in the USA have coated their entire car in LineX
It has a very rough finish to it, which means it really is something that one 'may' apply it to their off-roading vehicles. This thing makes the car part really strong and makes the most sense in those cases.

Well, who knows? Maybe if this thread catches enough steam and is read by the folks who would love to do something like this, we may get to see an example!

Cheers,
Luv.
Luv_Jaiswal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 15:28   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Line-X: An indestructible coating that you can apply to anything!

Firstly, I don't think hitting a metal bumper (that too, on the edge) with a wooden bat would do much damage to the bumper -- regardless of if it's coated or not.

Secondly: I bet that egg & cantaloupe are broken on the inside. They are covered in a thick rubberized (polyurethane) coating, which is what's still holding them together. This leads to the question -- what exactly are the practical uses of this?

There seems to be some mentions of Line-X (and its competitor: Rhino) being used as spray-on bed-liners for pickup trucks, and that makes sense. Beyond that, not sure...

What would you use it for?

PS - In the case of "bomb proofing", spraying a thick coating of this stuff on walls can reduce the amount of shrapnel during a blast - which is what causes a lof of injuries. That said, it doesn't make things "bomb proof".

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th July 2016 at 15:31.
Rehaan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 16:23   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_Jaiswal View Post
some guys in the USA have coated their entire car in LineX
I feel that if such coating is applied on whole car then the effectiveness of crumple zones may get compromised. I maybe wrong, only tests can tell.
tbppjpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 17:33   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

The product has been in the market since many years. Hasn't made much of an impact in the auto industry I believe, other than what these odd social videos would make you think.

From the videos I have seen online, the maximum it would benefit are the occasional bumps and nicks that happen during daily traffic. Something that might create a scratch or a bump - that probably might be handled by this coating. A proper head-on collision or a major road accident; it ain't gonna do anything better for you.

Also I wonder how much extra will it affect the recovery and repair of the car if your body is completely coated with this material.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 19:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Line X was basically used for the bed on a pickups where the load handling would scratch the paint and this exposed portion would rust/ corrode over a period of time. This is a coating of polyurea which has high abrasion resistance, rust prevention and corrosion prevention. The Line X has to be applied within a controlled area as this settles immediately. A complete bed of a pickup of Isuzu size can be sprayed and dried in 30 minutes flat.

This was later used on the parts which were prone to scratches during the OTR, namely wheel fenders, running boards/ step bars and bumpers. These days they are used on agricultural, marine and also on the wrought iron furniture at home in addition to the automobiles.

This can also be applied before and a fresh coat of paint can be applied over this, but the spray always sets in a matt finish. So the final finish would have a grainy texture to feel

Earlier Savsol were the marketing this product but now, this is being handled by

HORIZON SCOPE & TRADES PVT LTD

7 Bharatiya Krida Mandir
Behind Bus Depot Wadala (W)
Mumbai, Maharashtra, 400031
India

PS: I don't have any vested interest with the above and this was obtained from the web.
unk9ja is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 08:32   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Firstly, I don't think hitting a metal bumper (that too, on the edge) with a wooden bat would do much damage to the bumper -- regardless of if it's coated or not.

Secondly: I bet that egg & cantaloupe are broken on the inside. They are covered in a thick rubberized (polyurethane) coating, which is what's still holding them together. This leads to the question -- what exactly are the practical uses of this?

There seems to be some mentions of Line-X (and its competitor: Rhino) being used as spray-on bed-liners for pickup trucks, and that makes sense. Beyond that, not sure...

PS - In the case of "bomb proofing", spraying a thick coating of this stuff on walls can reduce the amount of shrapnel during a blast - which is what causes a lof of injuries. That said, it doesn't make things "bomb proof".

It was just a wild thought of having a full tank like rigidity to the bumper. I am already planning to get my bumper change now. Certainly people don't know how to drive without damaging the bumper of other vehicles in delhi.
Old 31st July 2016, 14:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Underbody protection maybe? Many cars have pretty thin plastic protection so a coat of this might work really well in taking hits from below.
McLaren Rulez is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 14:34   #9
Team-BHP Support

I wonder if it can help improve NCAP ratings of certain Made-in-India cars.
SmartCat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 12:11   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If you own a car that has an unprotected / low hanging oil sump, and drive a lot on the highway (or rough roads), Line-X would be awesome (for that oil sump)!

Related Thread

GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 12:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Would the company be supplying the same "military" grade product to consumers like you and me, or it would be a cost-effective commercial grade product?
nitinbose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 11:38   #12
Team-BHP Support

I wouldn't get too carried away with how "strong" this is, or anything like that.

Just think of it like a rubber sheet on top of wherever you're applying it. (ie. a spray-on rubber sheet).
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 14:27   #13
BHPian

Has anyone Tried Rust-Oleum Automotive Professional Grade Truck Bed Coating Spray (Black)
iskandariya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 16:14   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskandariya View Post
Please search using the search box on the top-right or click here, as there are already a few threads discussing Rustoleum.
Old 24th November 2022, 19:11   #15
BHPian

I had my vehicle's fender flares coated with LineX and it saved me a bit of a hassle.

While reversing my car in the the dark, through a very narrow gateway, the rear right scraped badly against one of the walls. Fortunately, the entire impact was taken by the LineX coated fender and the results were great! The edge of the wall took a beating and got badly chipped, but almost nothing happened to the fender. A quick shampoo wash removed everything, and it looks almost untouched. A normal plastic fender would have had pretty deep furrows and scrapes in it otherwise.

Before:

Line-X: An indestructible coating that you can apply to anything!-img_20221122_140333.jpg

After:

Line-X: An indestructible coating that you can apply to anything!-img_20221124_190141.jpg
corneliu is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks