Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2006, 18:16   #1
BHPian

My M800 got a big problem...<I think>
After a rain-shower, I can see a good pool of rust in front of my car;
My M800 was bought recently second-hand (around 7 years old).
Is there some explanation for this ? I am new to this car-world...

Thanks
Old 9th October 2006, 22:02   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

The car has not seen much weather protection during the 7 rainy seasons so far / coastal usage/ local tinkering in lieu of original bodywork due to accident. Pick one or all the above !
Old 10th October 2006, 15:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseGuy
My M800 got a big problem...<I think>
After a rain-shower, I can see a good pool of rust in front of my car;
My M800 was bought recently second-hand (around 7 years old).
Is there some explanation for this ? I am new to this car-world...

Thanks
could you be more specific please ? if the rust is in front of your, why are you sad ? if the rust is on your car, then you should be. where exactly is it rusted ?

did you get your car from bombay ? the sea breeze kills the steel, as it does here in chennai too.
Old 10th October 2006, 20:53   #4
BHPian

theMAG : the car doesn;t look like its worn out - has some dents here n there; but nothing that indicates a major accident; so that may not be a problem.

esteem_lover: the previous owner was from Pune; so erosion due to sea breeze ruled out.

ohh okk...the place where I park has a slight slope so when I park the car on a bit of incline...the rust puddle gathers in front of my car...that's when I realized it
never mind, when I bent down under the front of the car, the horizontal rod just near the front (dunno what is it called) 'seemed' rusted.
Old 10th October 2006, 23:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

It is called the Crossmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseGuy
never mind, when I bent down under the front of the car, the horizontal rod just near the front (dunno what is it called) 'seemed' rusted.
Old 11th October 2006, 02:26   #6
elf
BANNED

Show it to a Maruti Udyog service center, your local garage, &/or contact a T-BHPian in your city to look into the problem.

Can any Pune guys volunteer & coordinate?
Old 11th October 2006, 15:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

your car probably has/had a leaking radiator/battery which has caused the rust. please have it checked & rectified immediately before it becomes a major problem.
Old 12th October 2006, 10:38   #8
BHPian

'had a leaking battery' seems to be the possible reason; because the previous owner had mentioned that the new battery has been newly installed.
Maybe the old one was leaking alright.

Okk.. I will take it some Maruti service center.

Thanks a lot for those suggestions and info
Old 17th January 2010, 21:10   #9
BHPian

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out if this is the right thread to post in!! Looked for Manifold Rusting but couldn't figure it out!

My question, I have a one month old Swift Vdi. A query that comes in when I look at the exhaust manifolds of most cars, they look rusted (as in rust type texture and look). The Swift had some kind of coating on the manifold when I bought the car or just because it was new it looked clean. Anyways, a week later when I was getting the security system installed happened to peak into the hood, and saw the manifold looking rusted (as in rust type texture and look). Is that normally how all companies sell their cars?? the coat of the clean look disappears in a weeks time of running??

Wouldn't this cause a problem during monsoon?? hot and cold temperature changes at a constant pace when you run over puddles or generally driving in the rain. Would it cause more rusting in the future or are these things built that way??
Old 18th January 2010, 12:26   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

^^ I wouldn't worry about it. Most OEM manifolds are made of cast iron and will develop a small amount of surface rust.
Old 18th January 2010, 13:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Cars Prone To Rusting?

Hi all,

I have noticed that there have been many complaints of specifically Maruti cars rusting in a short span of time. Please corret me if I am wrong.

My own personal experience - I have a 2005 Maruti Suzuki Swift and I live on Carter Road Mumbai opposite the sea & in a matter of around 3 years I noticed rusting especially in places under the rubber biddings on all four doors, near the hinges of the trunk and the lower inside area on all four doors. I was totally disappointed. I always give my car to Vitesse at Andheri West ONLY for whatever services or repairs required, even if it a bulb change!

I have given the car on already 3-4 ocassions now to have this corrision rectified. They had to scrape the rust off and have the area re-painted. I ultimately got the entire car painted. But I noticed that the paint on the areas like fuel lid & lower areas of the doors tend to start bubbling after around 3 months. They keep redoing this but after 3 months the paint in these specific areas still start bubbling. The last time they did it was in October 2009 and even applied an anti rust coating but bubbling has started again.

Please note that out of the 3-4 ocassions that the job was done, I had paid only on the first ocassion. The other times, the painting was done for free. This is probably the advantage of getting your car serviced from an authorised service centre like Vitesse. Anyway, I would like to know what is the issue and how to solve this problem?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks