Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2016, 21:42   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Hyundai Eon 1.0 gives mileage of 9 kmpl in city, but excels on highway (19 kmpl)

In Bangalore traffic conditions, its better to indicate mileage in L/h(Liters per hour) since we can never judge it based on the distance. Even my commute routes are decided based on time taken to cover stretches of road instead of distance covered. The change in distance rarely affects fuel consumption or range as long as the time taken to commute is the same.

In Bangalore traffic, peak hours in the evening and empty roads in the morning with a hard foot I get around 13-13.5 in my Celerio AMT. That for a daily commute of close to 60kms. However, if you consider only nearby runs, it drops to 11-12. If I take the actual daily consumption, its an average of 4.5L of fuel for a total driving time of 2hrs 30min daily. That makes the FE of my car 1.8L/h. Now, coming to the highway, once I took it to my village 72kms away from Bangalore. The tankful to tankful mileage was 20.1kmpl whereas the MID showed 21. Total fuel consumed was 7.21 Liter for a distance of 145kms. Now the total driving time was roughly four hours. Hence, if you consider FE by l/h method, it again comes to 1.8 L/h.

This is the reason your car returns phenomenal FE on the highway, and very bad FE inside the City. All depends upon how much time you drive your car for
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 22:56   #17
BHPian

re: Hyundai Eon 1.0 gives mileage of 9 kmpl in city, but excels on highway (19 kmpl)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Whatever the service manager told you is correct.
Plus, my experience is that smaller engines tend to give a lot less average in stop and go traffic with AC as compared to the ARAI ratings.

Your car is fine.

PS: You could have posted the query on the EON test drive thread instead of creating a new thread.
Apologies, I was not sure that post is active enough. And also I felt this might be a technical issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Trying to avoid peak traffic is probably the best way for you. Apart from this, you could try varying your driving style (i.e. changing gears at lower vs. higher RPM, accelerating slowly, letting go of the accelerator much before a signal, switching off the car when you have to idle for more than a min). After a few weeks of experimenting, you can arrive at what driving style your car loves and then you can stick to it.
I am actually experimenting a bit with my style of driving. In the first few weeks, I used to be a bit impatient and drive a bit hard. However, nowadays I resort to sedated & anticipatory driving, with as less brakes as possible. Thanks so much for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
On an average, what are the distance and driving time you do in your city runs? For instance, 9 kmpl is only to be expected if it's a 2-3 km drive to work that takes 10 minutes with a good mix of crawling and idling.
What you are saying is absolutely correct. My office is just 4,5kms away and I take around 15mins to reach. I do try to beat the peak traffic on most days but still its a mix of crawling and idling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
I suggest, just for peace of mind :

1. Give feedback to Hyundai customer care.
2. Make sure the Engine ECU software is up-to-date ( by visiting ASC)
3. Try Shell petrol.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will keep this in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Even our Eon 0.8 is returning around 9-10. So there must be something wrong in the engine design. How come a Maruti always scores above 12-14 in city under the same conditions?

We bought it thinking small engine would mean great mileage, but the service advisors are helpless.
Exactly so. That was what I thought as well. But when I look at my colleague's Tata Tiago petrol giving a mileage of 14-15kmpl in city traffic, I do feel I should have gone for that car instead.

Last but not the least, thanks so much for your kind and thoughtful replies.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks