Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2016, 13:11   #1
Team-BHP Support

The correct way to pour engine oil ('Aha!' moment inside)

This is what 99% of bottles look like - SYMMETRICAL:
The correct way to pour engine oil ('Aha!' moment inside)-01correctwrongwaytopouroil.jpg

So why on earth are engine oil bottles such asymmetrical freaks?
The correct way to pour engine oil ('Aha!' moment inside)-02correctwrongwaytopouroil.jpg

Because... there's a correct way to hold the bottle.

And like most 'strange' things in the auto industry, there's actually an engineering reason behind this.
The correct way to pour engine oil ('Aha!' moment inside)-03correctwrongwaytopouroil.jpg

The reason? Having a symmetrical bottle increases the chances of the fluid blocking the entire mouth of the bottle whilst it's being poured.

This blockage results in 'glugging' where air forces itself in through the opening every so often (making that glug-glug sound).

Good bottle design = good air-flow = no glugging = good pour:
The correct way to pour engine oil ('Aha!' moment inside)-04correctwrongwaytopouroil.jpg

Why did they bother to do this with oil bottles? Well, glugging causes an uneven flow, which can result in splashes. Oil isn't exactly something you want having splashing all over the place (for cleanliness & environmental/law reasons too) - hence the bottle design!

If you ever need a hint the next time you're pouring oil. Look at the bottle. They often have an illustration to help you out:
The correct way to pour engine oil ('Aha!' moment inside)-05correctwrongwaytopouroil.jpg

Credit to this Reddit thread for pointing this out!

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th October 2016 at 13:30.
Rehaan is offline   (91) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 13:21   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: The correct way to pour engine oil ('Aha!' moment inside)

Bonus:

So you're probably thinking... Hey Rehaan, thanks for this cool tip that has pretty much zero practical value in my day-to-day life.

Correct? ... Wrong!

Luckily for you, there are other containers that that follow the same principle.

Chances are you're pouring them wrong and causing glugs to overshoot the glass every time you pour (with the "hey, I'm in a hurry to get to work!" excuse).

Well, now's your chance to impress your family and friends...
The correct way to pour engine oil ('Aha!' moment inside)-tropicanaapplejuice.jpg
image source

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th October 2016 at 13:24.
Rehaan is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 13:44   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, Rehaan !

I have read this about the fruit juice cartons, but had not thought about it for engine oil.

One tip:
Follow this method till most of the oil has been poured out. Then switch it the "wrong"way to get the last few drops of oil too (without having to turn the bottle upside down).
condor is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 13:48   #4
BHPian

I too had seen this for Fruit juice cartons but never linked it to engine Oil cans though I did change I way I pour cooking oil from the larger cans to the smaller ones
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 14:44   #5
Team-BHP Support

Joey would have done better if the milk container was designed properly!

SmartCat is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 16:30   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for this interesting thread Rehaan

Seems i was doing it wrong all this while

The correct way to pour engine oil ('Aha!' moment inside)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1477652405.645017.jpg
karan561 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 19:10   #7
Team-BHP Support

In my defence, I only bought 5 liter oil cans.

But, on my maiden visit to the US in 2008 I was wondering why the milk cans were so off center from the handle. I guess the joke was on me.

The correct way to pour engine oil ('Aha!' moment inside)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1477661922.871704.jpg

Thanks for a wonderful thread.
moralfibre is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 22:22   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for this wonderful and interesting information. This is called engineering where simple solutions like this make so much of difference.
I'm sure I'm using the 'Tropicana' fruit drink tip to impress family some time soon. To improvise on this, I think I will try it on 'Real' juice.

Thanks!!
saket77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2016, 17:27   #9
BHPian

Seeing this thread, I quickly searched for the image I took during an oil change recently.

In between right and wrong?

The correct way to pour engine oil ('Aha!' moment inside)-img_4408.jpg
Moto_Hill is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th October 2016, 17:54   #10
BHPian

Thanks Rehaan... I'm absolutely embarrassed to admit that all these years I had no clue. The tropicana example is especially mortifying. I always glug and spill...The good news is ladies of the house had no idea too.
d_himan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2016, 05:44   #11
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Such a good tip indeed.

In the 70's and 80's when we lived on the estates, sometimes we needed to carry 20 litre cans of Petrol from the Factory pumps to the house to fill up a full tank in the car, so that we could take an alternative route out without having to pass the factory.
The petrol then, used to come to the house in 2-3 large 20 litre jerry cans.
We used to pour the petrol into the car's tank using a funnel, but on account of the weight of the jerry cans and (maybe even this air inflow/ petrol outflow thingy) the cans used to be held flat and the actual act of pouring used to happen into the funnel from the side of the jerry can's mouth.
If one tried to pour the more conventional way, I guess the can would have been too heavy and the surface area available to hold the can itself would have been way too less.
But I do remember the petrol never sloshed about and nor was there any glug-glug sound.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 13:09   #12
Team-BHP Support

Re: The correct way to pour engine oil ('Aha!' moment inside)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Seems i was doing it wrong all this while
This just seems like the more natural way! In fact several oil companies also show the bottle being used the wrong way in their advertisements...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I'm sure I'm using the 'Tropicana' fruit drink tip to impress family some time soon. To improvise on this, I think I will try it on 'Real' juice.
Man, I thought of you last night when i splashed Real pineapple juice all over my shirt. Unfortunately, their carton isn't designed to favour this method - since the opening is still rather centered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
But I do remember the petrol never sloshed about and nor was there any glug-glug sound.
Probably because it wasn't being tilted enough for the liquid to block the opening entirely.

Check this out too:

Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 13:45   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Thanks Rehaan... I'm absolutely embarrassed to admit that all these years I had no clue. The tropicana example is especially mortifying. I always glug and spill...The good news is ladies of the house had no idea too.
Lucky for you the Lady (ladies) of the house had no idea, otherwise you would never had heard the end of it!

Nice thread on the observation though!
gopzdoc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2016, 09:38   #14

Here's another in the embarrassed category.
I even went to the length of puncturing one end of the juice carton to avoid spillage. Needless to say, most of the time I spilled more making the hole.

Sometimes, i used to complain why these can don't have an air hole like those given in 208l drums. Now, i know better.

Time to impress the missus.
TheMariner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2016, 20:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

I too pour liquids from their vessels sideways to avoid the glugging and spurting. I use jerrycans to store fresh water for my aquarium before the weekly water change and have always poured it in holding the can sideways. I do this for juice boxes as well.

Pouring the 'correct' way will only work if the neck has a taper on the broader side, with juices boxes and similar rectangular packs, it just wont flow out as well pouring it the 'correct' way and you will have to use a steeper angle and it will also drip down the side when you slow down or stop pouring.
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed