Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2016, 20:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Engine oil made from natural gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
Let me have your thoughts Sir; they are always welcome !
Well known that I normally keep my thoughts to myself!

Has anyone here centrifuged an engine oil sample?

BTW, what is the shelf life of edible oils? Where would Castrol R fit in?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 3rd February 2017, 13:15   #17
BHPian

Went in for the Oil Change with the Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 4L Can for the 40,000Kms Service of my Ford Figo TDCi !!

A picture :
Engine oil made from natural gas-p_20170202_182900.jpg

Will be able to give a review of it after munching some miles on the Odo. Keeping fingers crossed !!
Old 3rd February 2017, 23:42   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
Went in for the Oil Change with the Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 4L Can for the 40,000Kms Service of my Ford Figo TDCi !!

Will be able to give a review of it after munching some miles on the Odo. Keeping fingers crossed !!
You wont go wrong with SHU. Been using it in my car religiously since it turned 1 year old and I can vouch for this oil as will many others.

Shell India have rebranded SHU 5W-40 to "Shell Helix HX8" and introduced SHU in a new viscosity 0W-40.

http://www.shell.in/motorists/oils-l...synthetic.html
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 15:32   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
You wont go wrong with SHU. Been using it in my car religiously since it turned 1 year old and I can vouch for this oil as will many others.

Shell India have rebranded SHU 5W-40 to "Shell Helix HX8" and introduced SHU in a new viscosity 0W-40.

http://www.shell.in/motorists/oils-l...synthetic.html
On the contrary, shouldn't Shell be inclined to release anything beyond 40 viscosity for Indian condition ?

We already are reaching temperatures above 45c in majority of cities during long tropical summer. I somehow find it strange when oil companies lower the "w" and keep warm viscosity rating same for Indian markets.
Old 10th February 2017, 17:29   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
On the contrary, shouldn't Shell be inclined to release anything beyond 40 viscosity for Indian condition ?

We already are reaching temperatures above 45c in majority of cities during long tropical summer. I somehow find it strange when oil companies lower the "w" and keep warm viscosity rating same for Indian markets.
What's important is one follows the car/engine manufacturer's recommendation for oil grades, API specs & change intervals.

If your car can take thinner oil even during our long, hot summer months it's great. Thinner oil does have its own advantages not the least of which is better startup lubrication, lower viscous drag & marginally better mileage.

The thinnest oil recommended for my car's engine is 5W-30 (and currently the default factory fill & service oil grade albeit mineral) for a range spanning from less than -30 C to over 40 C ambient temperatures. Which means I can not use xW-20 oil in my car.

I do highway runs in my car & according to the manual a slightly thicker oil is recommended. Hence my decision to stick with SHU 5W-40 synthetic. SHU also has the same viscosity and API specifications as the OEM synthetic and that gives me additional peace of mind.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 13:40   #21
BHPian

Quote:
What's important is one follows the car/engine manufacturer's recommendation for oil grades, API specs & change intervals.

If your car can take thinner oil even during our long, hot summer months it's great. Thinner oil does have its own advantages not the least of which is better startup lubrication, lower viscous drag & marginally better mileage.

The thinnest oil recommended for my car's engine is 5W-30 (and currently the default factory fill & service oil grade albeit mineral) for a range spanning from less than -30 C to over 40 C ambient temperatures. Which means I can not use xW-20 oil in my car.

I do highway runs in my car & according to the manual a slightly thicker oil is recommended. Hence my decision to stick with SHU 5W-40 synthetic. SHU also has the same viscosity and API specifications as the OEM synthetic and that gives me additional peace of mind.
True that for every word. I checked with Maruti and they are sticking with 5w-30 mineral. I informed that mileage and vibrations is of concern and that I drive in highway for atleast 500-600 per month, they said it fits the bill.

I drain A.S.S mineral usually at 500-1000 Kms post fill and go back to SHU.

Now the question that remains is, how do we find the right oil according to the ambient temperature that we live or drive in ?

The reason I am asking is that we are seeing long summers in India every year and there is no stopping to that, but all through we are using same grade engine oil irrespective of temperature experienced.

Does this situation vouch for multi grade oil usage ?
Old 13th February 2017, 15:27   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Now the question that remains is, how do we find the right oil according to the ambient temperature that we live or drive in ?

The reason I am asking is that we are seeing long summers in India every year and there is no stopping to that, but all through we are using same grade engine oil irrespective of temperature experienced.

Have a look at this video. I hope this will answer your question(s) :

AJ-got-BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 19:56   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I drain A.S.S mineral usually at 500-1000 Kms post fill and go back to SHU.
I'd suggest you continue with mineral and shift to synthetic only if:

a) Your car does heavy duty running at high RPM or with heavy loads
b) You want the best lubrication for your car and cost is secondary

My situation has characteristics of both a) and b). You need to judge your own conditions and usage and then determine what oil you wish to use.

Quote:
Look at your car's owners manual and you'll get the answer. What oil you use depends on the ambient temperatures in the area that the car is most frequently used.

My only advice: Do not play guessing games with engine oils like many car owners do. Just follow the manufacturer's instructions. They designed and manufactured the engine and know it better than anybody else.

Quote:
Not to worry. Multigrade oil whether synthetic or mineral is designed to do just that i.e. operate in a wider range of temperatures from below freezing to blazing hot.
Old 14th February 2017, 10:32   #24
BHPian

Quote:
My only advice: Do not play guessing games with engine oils like many car owners do. Just follow the manufacturer's instructions. They designed and manufactured the engine and know it better than anybody else.
Thanks for that R2D2.

Any idea what is the max operational temperature that these oils are designed for ?
Old 14th February 2017, 10:54   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea what is the max operational temperature that these oils are designed for ?
AFAIK engine oils operate between 100 and 130 C range depending on a variety of conditions including for e.g. engine RPM, engine power output, load, turbo or naturally aspirated, oil cooler present or not, among others. Oil temperature has to remain well below the flash point under all conditions

For the flash point and other specifications you will need to check the manufacturer's website.

Oil provides maximum protection once it gets to operating temperature. Revving a cold engine (as many do) to warm it up does more damage. I let the engine idle for about 60 seconds and drive at low to moderate speed for the first 5 minutes. The good thing is city traffic forces you to take it easy anyway.
Old 1st July 2017, 14:51   #26
BHPian

It has been just over 6,000Kms that my 2014 Figo TDCi has been running on the Shell Helix 5W40 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil.

A strange observation is that for the first 4,000Kms the engine was running pretty heavy with a strange grunting sound and I was wondering if I had made the right decision in opting for this Engine Oil.

However, post that i.e.- the last 2,000Kms the car seems to be a completely different car altogether with very minimal engine noise and excellent engine response while accelerating.

Has anyone here felt anything like this before ? A first hand experience sharing would help in understanding the dynamics better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks