Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2006, 02:41   #1
BHPian

My Esteem did not start today

Hi,

Today I tried starting my car and the starter did not crack at all.
The stereo front lights etc are working fine.

The car is also not showing the ECU check light though the Oil and Battery lights come up when the key is turned on.

Can it be the battery or is it the ECU thats gone bad.
Old 20th October 2006, 09:15   #2
BHPian

Start by verifying that none of the fuses are blown.

Your owner's manual wil help you locate the fuse box if you're unfamiliar with it's location.
Old 20th October 2006, 09:22   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Suspect your starter's blown. ECUs typically never conk since they don't contain any moving parts and are solid-state electronics.

You might also want to check if your battery's charge is lower than required. If the battery is in a weakened charge level, that would explain your lights and stereo glowing but no juice for the starter.
Old 20th October 2006, 10:15   #4
Team-BHP Support

check fuse for starter, while cranking see if starter solenoid is working, will give u a thuck sound, if no then fuse or a faulty starter

switch on head lights and crank, if head lights goes putt, ur battery needs check up and while at it check your charging system also
Old 20th October 2006, 11:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG
Suspect your starter's blown. ECUs typically never conk since they don't contain any moving parts and are solid-state electronics.

You might also want to check if your battery's charge is lower than required. If the battery is in a weakened charge level, that would explain your lights and stereo glowing but no juice for the starter.
i dont think the battery is bad. it could just be the ignition switch that has gone bad. starter motors do not malfunction that easily. please call maruti & get it done. 1800111515
Old 22nd October 2006, 18:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hi Try this !!

There is a solonoid ignition switch jut hit it with a jack rod and see if it cranks after that because the solonoid switch gets stuck at times else the carbon contacts of the starter motor may have gone bad. any ways this jugad will save you from those dirty situations as the car will at least start.

Pramod
Old 24th October 2006, 23:53   #7
BHPian

Got the issue resolved . It was the battery gone bad.

Another intresting thing happened .
I tried to start the car with the bad battery by jump starting it .
The engine did not idle at all thgough the car started . I was not able to keep the car alive at idle.
Dose the alternator need some amount of current to run ? After putting in the new battery and starting the car I disconnected the negetive terminal . The car still did not die-- IE the alternator works fine.
I switched on the AC , headlights and streo still the car was fine.
Hence is it that the alternater once fed on current will keep on running else it dose not work properly ? or the ECU dose not let the car run without the battery.
Old 24th October 2006, 23:58   #8
Team-BHP Support

I noticed the same thing in my lancer. the car not being able to idle when the battery was dead. i had to continuously keep giving throttle to keep the engine up. as soon as i put in the new battery it became fine.

I'm guessing the ECU runs on the battery directly or like you mentioned the ECU doesnt allow the car to remain on with a dead battery.
Old 25th October 2006, 11:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhogalrajnish
Hi,

Today I tried starting my car and the starter did not crack at all.
Quote:
The stereo front lights etc are working fine.
The car is also not showing the ECU check light though the Oil and Battery lights come up when the key is turned on.

Can it be the battery or is it the ECU thats gone bad.
your stereo & front lights were fine with the old battery too. just be sure that it was the battery & not some loose contact. check the old battery.
Old 26th October 2006, 23:51   #10
BHPian

I did disconnect the terminals opened the battery lids and short the terminals using a wire two of the cells did bubble up I beleave that means that two cells have gone bad. .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks