Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2006, 17:12   #1
BHPian

New to Diesel. Hyundai CRDi questions!

Hi,
I bought a new Accent Viva crdi a couple of weeks ago. Its been a big jump for me from a Maruti 800 base model but worth it all the same. Muchas gracias for all the info on this site, which helped my decision a lot.
I was really looking at a 4-6 lakh budget, but given that I drive, like, 60 km a day through city traffic(Hyderabad) and needed something powerful with good gas mileage, I couldn't find much in that range. A friend owns a Petra Diesel ELX, which was my first choice, but that changed based solely on Fiat's infamous resale value and the higher bhp that the Viva had.
This is the first diesel vahicle I've driven. I've had a smooth transition from an Ambassador through a Premier Padmini to a couple of Maruti 800's, all petrol before this. Also went through a few jap cars in the US. I was hoping for some info/tips on this vehicle that your experienced drivers could provide.
1) The noise - Is there any way to reduce the racket this car makes in the first and second gears? I've been told that the noise levels go down post first service. Is this true? I've also read somewhere on this forum that changing the muffler helps. Is this true? What does the muffler cost?
2) The third gear is what I'm in most of the time. Is this bad for the car? Is this normal?
3) Any recommendations during the break in period with regards to speed and rpm? The manual says not to go above 3000 rpm for the first 800 km but no specifics for the diesel version.( The manual is common for both, the petrol and diesel vehicles)
4) I hit a stone a week into the car and it ripped a tyre. Are the Bridgestones fair quality? I have a baby and can't take risks with tires.
Buying the car broke the bank for me, so I can't do much unless its vital. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Midlifecrisis
Old 24th October 2006, 12:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the site midlifecrisis (Interesting nick!!!) Just as a reminder do go through the rules of the site.

As for your query it would be better if you post it in the Technical Stuff section but I'm gonna answer it here for now. Let's take this point wise shall we:

1. The Viva CDRi engine is a noisy powerplant & there's not much you can do about it. Either adjust to it or get yourself decent ICE & turn up the volume a bit!! As for changing the muffler it helps turn down the exhaust noise, it can't have any effect on the noise being produced by the engine so I think it would be counter productive.

2. Which gear you drive on depends on your driving style, engine characteristics, gear ratios & traffic conditions. As long as you are at a comfortable RPM (not too low & not too high) you should be ok, the engine should not be under un-necessary stress due to abnormally high or low rpm driving. Do post about what RPM's you are usually at & we can tell you if it's ok or not.

3. I would stick to the manual guidelines on running-in & would stay below 3000rpm & 80kmph for atleast the first 1000 or 1500kms. Post first service you can gradually drive it harder but avoid full pelt driving till you've crossed 2500kms to allow the engine components to bed in properly.

4. Bridgestones are OK quality wise since they are OE fitment. But since you've already ripped one I would suggest you upgrade to better rubber like Michelin XM1's or Bridgestone Potenza's tubeless tyres. Since your car is new so if you do it now it won't be too costly either.

Hope this helps, if you have any further queries feel free to post.
Old 24th October 2006, 20:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi, interesting nomenclature...Having an instant transition from gasoline to Diesel is quite disconcerting..While the petrols are practically silent at idle the diesels are not so.

And this being a new diesel the moving parts are not yet smoothened out. So, have patience and just bear it out as iraghava said for about 3000k. This will settle down all the moving parts. The engine will become smoother and peppier.

Remember a thumbrule for the diesels. Their performance solely depends on the quality of the engine oil and filters. Since they don't have any carbs or tuning adjustments like the petrols, regular change of oil and filters is what will keep then in excellant health. I, as a rule, change oil, filters etc, every 5000K or 2months, whichever is earlier. And I don't go to TASC or Mahindra authorised service station.

I am not saying that you should also not go to Hyndai authorised. Yours is new and under warranty. Chill out the warranty period with them and decide for yourself on the quality of after sales service etc..

Bridgestones are pretty good tyres and you had an unfortunate happening. This is a one off case and a freak happening. So just relax and enjoy diesel..:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis
Hi,
I bought a new Accent Viva crdi a couple of weeks ago. Its been a big jump for me from a Maruti 800 base model but worth it all the same. Muchas gracias for all the info on this site, which helped my decision a lot.
I was really looking at a 4-6 lakh budget, but given that I drive, like, 60 km a day through city traffic(Hyderabad) and needed something powerful with good gas mileage, I couldn't find much in that range. A friend owns a Petra Diesel ELX, which was my first choice, but that changed based solely on Fiat's infamous resale value and the higher bhp that the Viva had.
This is the first diesel vahicle I've driven. I've had a smooth transition from an Ambassador through a Premier Padmini to a couple of Maruti 800's, all petrol before this. Also went through a few jap cars in the US. I was hoping for some info/tips on this vehicle that your experienced drivers could provide.
1) The noise - Is there any way to reduce the racket this car makes in the first and second gears? I've been told that the noise levels go down post first service. Is this true? I've also read somewhere on this forum that changing the muffler helps. Is this true? What does the muffler cost?
2) The third gear is what I'm in most of the time. Is this bad for the car? Is this normal?
3) Any recommendations during the break in period with regards to speed and rpm? The manual says not to go above 3000 rpm for the first 800 km but no specifics for the diesel version.( The manual is common for both, the petrol and diesel vehicles)
4) I hit a stone a week into the car and it ripped a tyre. Are the Bridgestones fair quality? I have a baby and can't take risks with tires.
Buying the car broke the bank for me, so I can't do much unless its vital. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Midlifecrisis
Old 24th October 2006, 21:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

The accent crdi engine is a bit noisy and nothing much can be done [perhaps an engine swap with the verna crdi,dont know if technically/practically possible]

Iraghva and gd1418 have pointed out everything and nothing much to add here.

There is a detailed thread on team-bhp on how to run in a new car,as for driving in third gear since its a diesel there is sufficient torque at most times to keep you in third but do remember that sticking too a higher gear at very low speeds is damaging to the engine so change gears[upshift as well as downshift] wisely.

Bridgestones tubed tyres are good but if you want to play absolute safe go in for tubeless of either michelin or bridgestone.
Old 25th October 2006, 20:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

midlifecrisis: It would be quite enlightening if you visit the following threads as well:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ne-petrol.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-oil-fuel.html

Since your's is a new Hyundai, you need to be a braveheart & a scientist by nature to implement...;-)
Old 6th November 2006, 13:45   #6
BHPian

iraghava, gd1418, rahul intlad,
Belated thanks for your responses. I'm now getting accustomed to the noise. Good to note that its normal and not just my car. I'll remember to keep the oil and filter changes in mind. Also good to know that I won't have to replace all the tyres
Should be active on this forum henceforth. Was out sick for a week...
Old 6th November 2006, 15:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

good to hear that you got accustomed to the noise. enjoy your ride & keep us posted on the changes you had to make in your driving style from petrol to diesel.
Old 13th November 2006, 12:24   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Check out this review

Hi Midlifecrisis,

I too bought a viva crdi at the same time as you and incidentally i am also from Hyderabad.

Check out my review, I have tried covering all positive and negative points of this diesel powerpacked car. If you need to know more about my personal experience do contact me, i would be happy to talk to you

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/new-ca...km-report.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks