Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2017, 10:16   #1
GTS
BHPian

Weird noise when idling with the air-con running

Dear All,
I did go through the forum and didn't find any answers to my question, hence the post.

I have a 4 year old Nano CX 2013 registered which is actually a 2012 make. It has run 60k and I have it serviced regularly by Concorde Motors, ECR, Chennai.

Of late, when I switch on the AC I get this kadakadak noise. It appears to come from the front, but is heard even on the back side when I stand near the car. However on acceleration the noise disappears. Cooling is good. The sound is heard only when the engine is on, AC on and in idling.

The service guys ask me to replace the compressor which costs 18k. Now having an old Nano and replacing the compressor for that much money, would it make sense?

Desperately in need of your help. Thanks!

Last edited by GTS : 2nd February 2017 at 10:22.
GTS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 10:27   #2
BHPian

re: Weird noise when idling with the air-con running

check the front condensor fan . it might be slowly failing ( the bearing gives this racket) and giving this noise. i had to replace mine. it was behr make.
Nanolover is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 10:40   #3
GTS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
check the front condensor fan . it might be slowly failing ( the bearing gives this racket) and giving this noise. i had to replace mine. it was behr make.
Condensor fan was replaced twice before because the cooling and throw wasn't good. The last time I changed the fan was 6 months ago!
Old 2nd February 2017, 10:45   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS View Post
Of late, when I switch on the AC I get this kadakadak noise. It appears to come from the front, but is heard even on the back side when I stand near the car. However on acceleration the noise disappears. Cooling is good. The sound is heard only when the engine is on, AC on and in idling.
It could even be the AC belt / tensioner or pulley, besides the possibility of the compressor being on its way out.

Quote:
The service guys ask me to replace the compressor which costs 18k. Now having an old Nano and replacing the compressor for that much money, would it make sense?
If it is indeed the compressor (assuming their correct diagnosis), a question of whether it is worth replacing it or not will then boil down to how long you plan to keep the car with you. Unless you plan to sell the car in the near future, you can go in for the replacement. Better to get a second opinion from another garage/authorized service centre before parting with the moolah for a compressor change.
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 10:51   #5
GTS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Unless you plan to sell the car in the near future, you can go in for the replacement. Better to get a second opinion from another garage/authorized service centre before parting with the moolah for a compressor change.
With the sound, I don't think I'll be able to sell it easily either. I plan to keep the car for at least another year!

Yes, I'm also planning to take it for a second opinion today. But before that I thought I'll take opinion from you guys. You people know better!
Old 2nd February 2017, 11:03   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Also, do check if the local gujri can help you source a good condition compressor from a crashed car or something.... For my dad's Civic, Honda quoted 55k for the entire set. Compressor, clutch, etc... We got it for 15k from the Gujri and it's worked well for the past 8-9 months.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 11:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Of late, when I switch on the AC I get this kadakadak noise. It appears to come from the front, but is heard even on the back side
I think the condenser fan wings are making contact with the side wall somewhere. When the speed is high, the contact between fan wings and side will be less. Hence, sound goes off. When the speed is low, you can hear the sound.

You can check this simple test before going for next steps
gkveda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 11:11   #8
BHPian

I lack the technical know-how to offer any useful advice but for some reason the thread title brightened my day!
That being said, @GTS, I hope you find an inexpensive solution to the problem soon and do post it here so that it helps other users.

Last edited by Roy.S : 2nd February 2017 at 11:25.
Roy.S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 12:29   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The service guys ask me to replace the compressor which costs 18k.
Please confirm if this is a Behr vane-type compressor. If so, the sound is due to gradual wear and tear of compressor, and rattling of the vanes. Cooling should not be affected immediately, and if you can bear with the noise, you can continue to use the compressor for quite some time.
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 14:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

If you're in chennai, head to Suresh @ T nagar. He's highly recommended
find reviews and contact details here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...chennai-3.html
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 17:42   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Weird noise when idling with the air-con running

Quote:
Dear All,

Since the sound goes away when you revv it, I don't think the compressor is at fault. I have a feeling something is loose and on idle, when the vibrations are more it's touching/hitting the moving parts. Once you revv it, it goes away.

In any case if it's an AC issue, you can show it to local AC experts for a second opinion.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks