Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2017, 00:50   #1
BHPian

Bent key - Now what?

For reference, I am in the US currently. I have a Camry 2012 LE (non Hybrid, non push button start). Recently by mistake, the key (G stamped key) came in between the door (at home) and its frame and it bent. I did use a hammer in order to straighten it out which I did. But it is not perfect. The key still goes into the ignition and turns on the car but it is stiff and removing it back from the ignition slot takes some effort. This has me scared. What if the key gets stuck in ignition or worse, it breaks while inside, I would be staring at a huge expense. So as of now, I have kept that master key home and using valet key. I don't wish to take any risks and would want to create a new master key than always worry about this existing key. I have done some research on the internet and this forum as to what all options I have.

1. Get a key + cutting + programming from Toyota dealer. This is most expensive option. The toyota dealer quoted me $190 for ONLY key + $55 for programming + $10 for cutting -> Total cost $255

2. Go with option one, but just get the key myself from amazon / ebay. The model# is HYQ12BDM. I guess it can cost anywhere between $25 to $50 depending on the seller. The toyota dealer told me they will cut and program ($6 5 total) but told there is no guarantee on whether it will work or not.

3. Get a key from amazon / ebay or go to a Auto Lock smith and buy key from there + get it cut and programmed from him if he has the tools. I am yet to ask an auto locksmith and I stay in a small city to need to ask in bigger adjoining city.

4. Get key myself and get it cut and buy the techstream cable and do it myself. I am not keen on doing this myself.

Coming to Option#5 which I had never considered in the first place.

Can I just buy a uncut key replacement shell like this...
https://www.amazon.com/KeylessOption...HYQ12BDM+shell

And have the key cut at local hardware store, transfer the electronics from my main key to this and use it as my main master key ? I believe the transponder is usually part of electronics inside the case right ? I recently replaced batteries in my FOB and apart from the main unit which had battery and some circuit, I did not see the key have anything else (not sure if I missed anything).

If the above mentioned thing works, I would end up spending a lot less as only costs would be getting the shell (which is usually under $10) and getting key cut from a store.

Can I do this? Need experts here to guide me on this.
Old 7th February 2017, 01:06   #2
BHPian

re: Bent key - Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post

3. Get a key from amazon / ebay or go to a Auto Lock smith and buy key from there + get it cut and programmed from him if he has the tools. I am yet to ask an auto locksmith and I stay in a small city to need to ask in bigger adjoining city.
#3 is the best option IMO. Except Germans, especially VAG keys, all the keys can be easily duplicated and programmed by a locksmith. I got a key made for my 2000 Camry for $5 (no immobilizer) and i got quote for my 2010 Rav4 Smart key for around $200ish here in Florida. I am positive that any locksmith, maybe even Walmart, can just change the keyblade on your existing fob for under $50 or straighten the existing one.

I had a bad experience with cheap ebay keys. Sometimes those are refurbished old keys that sell for under $50 with a new shell. The remote can be programmed but the immobilizer do not store the code as it is already flashed once. But if you can find something under Amazon Prime then IMO its safe.
rachitagarwal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 01:26   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachitagarwal View Post
#3 is the best option IMO. Except Germans, especially VAG keys, all the keys can be easily duplicated and programmed by a locksmith. I got a key made for my 2000 Camry for $5 (no immobilizer) and i got quote for my 2010 Rav4 Smart key for around $200ish here in Florida. I am positive that any locksmith, maybe even Walmart, can just change the keyblade on your existing fob for under $50 or straighten the existing one.

I had a bad experience with cheap ebay keys. Sometimes those are refurbished old keys that sell for under $50 with a new shell. The remote can be programmed but the immobilizer do not store the code as it is already flashed once. But if you can find something under Amazon Prime then IMO its safe.

Am I correct in assuming that for my master FOB, the single electronics unit inside which houses the circuit and battery also has the transponder in it ? Would it be possible for me to get a blank key with a case (similar looking to my existing key) and get it cut as per my key and I Just transfer the electronics to the new key/case ? I don't really need a whole new key with transponder if I can easily transfer the transponder from one case to another. My car does have immobilizer and dealers are quoting $180 for only the key which I feel is a rip off. One locksmith also quoted me $180 for key+programming+cutting which also seems pretty high.

I am just trying to now find that do I even need a new chip key with all electronics and if not can I just re-purpose the existing electronics into a new case and get the key cut to make it work ? This way I don't need to register any new keys as I believe it is the transponder which is storing the code to start the car and not the metal key itself. Those ebay / amazon listings of only the case with uncut blade say that no programming is needed and only transfer of electronics is to be done. This makes me believe I can just do that.

Last edited by raksrules : 7th February 2017 at 01:28.
Old 7th February 2017, 02:21   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Am I correct in assuming that for my master FOB, the single electronics unit inside which houses the circuit and battery also has the transponder in it ? Would it be possible for me to get a blank key with a case (similar looking to my existing key) and get it cut as per my key and I Just transfer the electronics to the new key/case ? I don't really need a whole new key with transponder if I can easily transfer the transponder from one case to another. My car does have immobilizer and dealers are quoting $180 for only the key which I feel is a rip off. One locksmith also quoted me $180 for key+programming+cutting which also seems pretty high.

I am just trying to now find that do I even need a new chip key with all electronics and if not can I just re-purpose the existing electronics into a new case and get the key cut to make it work ? This way I don't need to register any new keys as I believe it is the transponder which is storing the code to start the car and not the metal key itself. Those ebay / amazon listings of only the case with uncut blade say that no programming is needed and only transfer of electronics is to be done. This makes me believe I can just do that.
I am pretty sure you can buy just the shell with new keyblade (no remote circuitry) on amazon/ebay, get the key cut and transfer the electronics along with the transponder from the old one. IMO its a good idea to use this as a spare and use the second key everyday because non-oem blades are not that good and can get easily bent/damaged with everyday abuse. Also, it can damage the ignition switch cylinder as non-oem keys wear out much faster.

If you don't mind carrying two keys, you can get a OEM quality key cut+programmed for $50-$80. That's just a plain key with no remote. I researched a lot about keys and immobilizer programming because I am trying to make a duplicate key for a friend's 2006 Audi A4, for which the dealer wants $450+. I bought a near-new used key from ebay for $25 but the local locksmith's cannot program the immobilizer because it needs proprietary equipment which only the dealer has in my town and the dealers are not allowed to program used keys. Locksmith's in bigger cities have that kind of equipment.
Old 7th February 2017, 04:28   #5
BHPian

Quote:

Coming to Option#5 which I had never considered in the first place.

Can I just buy a uncut key replacement shell like this...
https://www.amazon.com/KeylessOption...HYQ12BDM+shell

And have the key cut at local hardware store, transfer the electronics from my main key to this and use it as my main master key ? I believe the transponder is usually part of electronics inside the case right ? I recently replaced batteries in my FOB and apart from the main unit which had battery and some circuit, I did not see the key have anything else (not sure if I missed anything).

If the above mentioned thing works, I would end up spending a lot less as only costs would be getting the shell (which is usually under $10) and getting key cut from a store.

Can I do this? Need experts here to guide me on this.
I couldn't make out the difference between options 3 & 5, can you elaborate?

Coming to my case, my 2006 Corolla 3 button key was like worn out and also I wanted to replace with a flip key. I have just last week got delivery of the flip key with empty shell & uncut key blade from AliExpress.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High...608.0.0.QcJGjG

I have already spoken with a local computerized key maker and he has agreed to cut it based on the master key and move the electronics (transponder etc), into the new key shell. I would get this done by the weekend.

Also, just for your understanding, please look into you tube, there are lots of videos on how to open and move the electronics the DIY way.

For me, this was the cheapest option to do, work would be done in 10 $.

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 19:51   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachitagarwal View Post
I am pretty sure you can buy just the shell with new keyblade (no remote circuitry) on amazon/ebay, get the key cut and transfer the electronics along with the transponder from the old one. IMO its a good idea to use this as a spare and use the second key everyday because non-oem blades are not that good and can get easily bent/damaged with everyday abuse. Also, it can damage the ignition switch cylinder as non-oem keys wear out much faster.

If you don't mind carrying two keys, you can get a OEM quality key cut+programmed for $50-$80. That's just a plain key with no remote. I researched a lot about keys and immobilizer programming because I am trying to make a duplicate key for a friend's 2006 Audi A4, for which the dealer wants $450+. I bought a near-new used key from ebay for $25 but the local locksmith's cannot program the immobilizer because it needs proprietary equipment which only the dealer has in my town and the dealers are not allowed to program used keys. Locksmith's in bigger cities have that kind of equipment.
My problem here is that I don't know if the transponder in my master FOB is along with the electronics or it is somewhere glued or embedded in the plastic of the key shell. I can move electronics but I think this won't move the transponder and I have to somehow pry open the transponder and move, something which I am very hesitant to do and I don't even know where it is. Someone on Toyota Nation forum suggested I get a new key blade with empty shell and once the new key is cut, just swap the blades from the new key into the old key. This is far easy to say than to do I guess. I did open up the FOB and see that the blade seems to be sort of welded in plastic and there is no screw or anything which is holding it. So basically I don't see an option other than getting a new transponder chip key blade and get it programmed.

Can you tell what is the point of buying a "Used Key" from ebay etc ? Because a used key would have been pre-cut (and possibly pre-programmed as well). How can you use an used key because the cut of that key may not match with your car's key cut. Or are all car keys of same model cut same way ?

The only option that seems least expensive for me is to get a key from ebay (costs $20) which has the G chip transponder in it. Get it cut at local lowes / walmart and see if it works fine with at least locking / unlocking doors. Once that is ascertained, take that to a dealer (the one who quoted me $45 for programming) and get it programmed.

Any idea where I can get near to OEM quality FOB key (not the plain one) ? I am sure those $20 are not OEM quality and locksmiths who are quoting me $100 for only the key also I am sure are selling those $20 keys only with a 5X markup.
Old 7th February 2017, 21:04   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't know if the transponder in my master FOB is along with the electronics or it is somewhere glued or embedded in the plastic of the key shell. I can move electronics but I think this won't move the transponder and I have to somehow pry open the transponder and move, something which I am very hesitant to do and I don't even know where it is.
Do you mean the immobiliser chip? Here it is and can easily be removed and transfered to the new fob.

Bent key - Now what?-sl1600.jpg
Image source: Google
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 21:20   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Do you mean the immobiliser chip? Here it is and can easily be removed and transfered to the new fob.

Attachment 1605667
Image source: Google
The FCC ID is same for my FOB. Let me reopen it and see because I don't remember seeing that immobliser transponder in mine which is definitely weird. Mine seemed "Empty". I will post a pic very soon. The key is not with me at the moment.

Last edited by raksrules : 7th February 2017 at 21:23.
Old 7th February 2017, 21:29   #9
BHPian

Quote:

Can you tell what is the point of buying a "Used Key" from ebay etc ? Because a used key would have been pre-cut (and possibly pre-programmed as well). How can you use an used key because the cut of that key may not match with your car's key cut. Or are all car keys of same model cut same way ?

The only option that seems least expensive for me is to get a key from ebay (costs $20) which has the G chip transponder in it. Get it cut at local lowes / walmart and see if it works fine with at least locking / unlocking doors. Once that is ascertained, take that to a dealer (the one who quoted me $45 for programming) and get it programmed.

Any idea where I can get near to OEM quality FOB key (not the plain one) ? I am sure those $20 are not OEM quality and locksmiths who are quoting me $100 for only the key also I am sure are selling those $20 keys only with a 5X markup.
By used key, I mean that they recycle the electronics and put it in a new shell with new keyblade. Most of the times, it works but sometimes the old/non-oem transponder chip fail to store the data and resets as soon as you remove the key from ignition. But hey! I think it's fine to gamble 20 bucks.

You might want to try searching through amazon/ebay/rockauto for OEM key.
Old 7th February 2017, 23:03   #10
BHPian

Replacing FOB of car due to bent key. What are my options ?

Ok so under the case of my FOB I do seem to have transponder / immobilizer chip but seems it is held deep and glued over (you can see sticky looking residue in the picture). Honestly I am too scared to play with this and attempt to remove it. I would probably end up getting a new G chip proper key.

Will I lose reliability of my current key if I was able to somehow get It properly straightened out at local Walmart? If that is a cheap / free fix I would go with that. I did use a hammer to reduce the bend and it has lessened a lot but still there is some stiffness in usage. Attaching pics of inside the FOB and also bent.
Left one is the bent key while right one is proper valet key which I am using currently.

Bent key - Now what?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1486488684.855817.jpg
Bent key - Now what?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1486488698.288289.jpg
Bent key - Now what?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1486488782.277899.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 7th February 2017, 23:21   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Will I lose reliability of my current key if I was able to somehow get It properly straightened out at local Walmart? If that is a cheap / free fix I would go with that. I did use a hammer to reduce the bend and it has lessened a lot but still there is some stiffness in usage.
Going by the snaps it is within repairable range. You can still get the deformation corrected.
On the reliability factor, just forget about the incident (after getting it corrected) and enjoy the ride. Faced a similar experience with Maruti Wagon-R key and repaired it myself with hammer and that lasted for over 6 years. I hope Toyota quality won't be inferior to MS.

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 7th February 2017 at 23:23.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 23:43   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Will I lose reliability of my current key if I was able to somehow get It properly straightened out at local Walmart? If that is a cheap / free fix I would go with that. I did use a hammer to reduce the bend and it has lessened a lot but still there is some stiffness in usage. Attaching pics of inside the FOB and also bent.
Left one is the bent key while right one is proper valet key which I am using currently.
It doesn't really matter IMHO, I had my Alto's key (with immobilizer) bent at almost 20 degrees, I took it to a local garage and it was hammered back to shape - post which I used that as my primary key for 2yrs.
Looking at the pictures the bent angle seems less and can be easily fixed (if you don't want to use hammer you can use a bench vise - any workshops would have this)
Attached Thumbnails
Bent key - Now what?-vise.jpg  

IPathan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 23:55   #13
BHPian

Thanks for all the inputs everyone. I will go to local hardware store / walmart etc this weekend and see if they reduce the bend / make it straight and I can continue using it. Someone on toyota nation forums too suggested using a vise and butane torch to heat that part and straighten it out. Probably going to try that before doing anything else.
Old 8th February 2017, 00:28   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Someone on toyota nation forums too suggested using a vise and butane torch to heat that part and straighten it out. Probably going to try that before doing anything else.

Won't that melt the plastic area?
Old 8th February 2017, 00:59   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post

Won't that melt the plastic area?
Not sure, I think they meant that heat the metal where it is bent and then straighten it out. I will still see what those hardware store guys can do rather than trying anything myself.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks