Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2006, 22:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

LOL...even i was laughin all the way home that an imported sphosticaed balancing machine could not solve my vibration problem nor could balance the wheels properly and a simple indian made computerised balancing machine could balance the wheel properly and make go of all the vibrations
About the jump maar raha hai thingy.What should i do guys?the mrf fellow says the tyre is perfectly good.Do u think as there is no more vibration i should continue using the tyre??Advice on this please?It wont harm my car in any way right?
Old 28th October 2006, 12:54   #17
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum
Moral of the story-the vibration problem is all gone about the jumping thing i dont know whom to trust The mrf guy with his jazzy balancing machine could not balance the tyres properly where as the road side balancing fellow with his indian made simple balancing machine could figure out the inbalance accurately and solve my problem
Glad that your problem is solved for now.

In general, most of the high-priced imported wheel balancing equipment are precision equipment
that can do the job as well as, if not better than, what is required!

That said, machines don't solve problems! People do!

It's possible that a machine is operated by someone not trained to do so!
It's also possible that the machine needs periodic maintenance and re-calibration that it may not have received.

I would still advise you to go to a bigger MRF showroom and have the wheel checked on another machine, if you face the wheel-tramp issue again. I presume your tires are still under warranty and MRF owes it to you to solve this problem, even replacing the tire if there is a manufacturing defect in its steel-belt!

Ram

Last edited by Ram : 28th October 2006 at 12:58.
Old 28th October 2006, 13:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

Yes they are under warranty.One one tyre is facin the wheel tramp issue accordin to the local tyre fellow.But the mrf fellow fails to admit it saying all the tyres are perfectly fine.
Tell me one thing ram the jump maar raha hai thingy..would the steering not vibrate?as now the steering at any given speed is rock steady..also i would like to mention that i had got the balancing done from the same mrf guy when i got the tyres and it was good for about 900 km after which it started vibrating.Wheel balancing goes off in 900 km[:O]..?I have always got balanacing and alignment done every 5000 km.
Anways do answer the queries ram and how are your zvts on your 800 doin?any problem?
I am slowly regretting my decison of gettin ZVTS fixed on my babe now
Old 28th October 2006, 15:52   #19
Ram
Senior - BHPian

My ZVTS on my Maruti 800 are doing just fine.
My 800 is the 12-valve MPFI with 5-speed gearbox variety. I hit 130 km/h routinely on the expressway with no vibrations. The 800 has done and continues to do the Mumbai-Pune-Mumbai (300 km round trip) a multitude of times.
And my Maruti 800 will switch over to 12-inch alloy wheels and drive Mumbai-Chennai soon.

As far as wheel tramp is concerned:
Many things can cause wheel-tramp to happen.
  1. If there are dents on a Maruti 800's wheel rims, outside or inside. In such case, adding wheel-balancing weights is not a solution, although it may quieten the wheel for some time. The only true solution is a properly repaired or brand new wheel rim.
  2. Scraping a stone/concrete kerb with the tire sidewall would also definitely damage the tire. Can damage the rim too depending on the impact. That can happen to someone in a lot less than 900 km.
  3. If a tubed tire is punctured and the tube has a heavy patch (many wayside repairmen are quite careless in this regard), it can cause wheel tramp too!
  4. Running a tire with low air-pressure will also quickly ruin a radial.
  5. Radials rapidly wear out if one mounts a left-hand-side wheel on the right of a car.
There are several more unhappy events that can cause a radial to misbehave.

Ram
Old 28th October 2006, 17:32   #20
BHPian

Hi Ram is there some way to sort a left radial from right one,in case you get them mixed?
Old 28th October 2006, 20:30   #21
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sans33
Hi Ram is there some way to sort a left radial from right one,in case you get them mixed?
In general (depending on model of your tire) there would be a month, year and serial number embossed on the sidewall. Do check both sidewalls of the tire to find this data.

Using these you can uniquely identify each of your five wheels. When you hand over a wheel with tire to a puncture-repairman, do make a note of this, so that you know, you're getting back your original when you drive by to collect the repaired tire.

You'll be surprised, but in a high traffic shop, wheels can get exchanged. You won't suspect a thing, until much later.

Before you do tire-rotation, it may be useful to keep a written record of which wheel went from which position to which position and kilometers at which you did the tire rotation, in your maintenance log book.

In the developed educated world, a used car is worth more, when accompanied by its maintenance log book and all original bills for batteries, tires, servicing, etc.

Ram
Old 28th October 2006, 21:32   #22
Senior - BHPian

@ram
I have 2 brand new wheel rims for the front two tyres.
Old 5th November 2006, 14:58   #23
BHPian

I suggest you contact MRF directly on this.They will look at and inspect your tires without you having to go thru a dealer.Just look up thier office number and ask for the guy who handles claims.Maybe the delaer is just trying to save himself the trouble of having to cart the tire to the company and back. Btw MRF and JK do have this belt bending issue.In fact it was so bad on the 145/70/R13 size of tires (that came on the older zen's) that maruti eventually changed the size.Now the base models of wagon R coming factory fitted with this size we'll have to see if the same problems persist.
Old 8th November 2006, 11:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

Guys problem is back.Steering wobble+floor wobble from 80 to 100 after which both of them stop.Its been only 300 km since i got it balanced and now this.I am sick and tired of the tyres.I have got them balanced 4 times already in the 1200 km of use.
I called MRF head office right now and told them about the problem.The service advisor was not there right now But the guy there took down my number and said as soon as he comes they ll give me call.
I cant handle this anymore and i am goin to ask for a full refund if possible.Having Spent Rs 8000 on the tyres and goin throught all this apathy is just not acceptable!
Old 8th November 2006, 20:22   #25
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Just trying to understand you better!
Did I understand you correctly that
wobble appears after 80 km/h until 100 km/h
and then at speeds above 100 km/h, the steering stops wobbling?
Old 8th November 2006, 21:39   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
Just trying to understand you better!
Did I understand you correctly that
wobble appears after 80 km/h until 100 km/h
and then at speeds above 100 km/h, the steering stops wobbling?
Yep U got me correct bro.The last time i had been to gaurdex tyres around 12 days back.He had balanced the wheels once.Went for a test drive and wobbling started at 70.He balanced it again.Wobbling started on 80.I finally gave up and went to another balancing fellow.He Put one front wheel on the balancing machine it showed ok.He put the 2nd front one.IT was showin a difference of 15gms.He added it and we went for a test drive.No wobble at any speeds.I was shocked to see that the balancing machine the gaurdex guy had was ek dum of international standards and this fellow had a simple computerised machine and he solved my problem
After 300 km of use again the same thing vibrations.
Now they start little little at around 75 and then at 80 full flegde floor vibration and little steering vibration.This happens till 100.after which no vibrations at all.
Old 10th November 2006, 18:04   #27
Senior - BHPian

Problem resolved.Mr Allen from Mrf worli main office came down to gaurdex tyres at 3 o clock.Met him and the people there were asked to remove all tyres and check balancing.Balancing was checked and the front tyres were balanced to how the alloy wheels are balanced.Weights are added only to one side.This is an option that was present in the sophesticated balancing machine.
Took the car for a drive the 1st time.All the floor vibration was out and steering vibration was u can say almost equal to 0.
Mr Allen said lets improve it further.He put the back right tyre in the front and the front right tyre in the back.
Again balanced everything and we set out.This time not a hint of any kind of vibration at any speeds.The car felt more planted to the ground too.
He has assured me that this is not a tyre problem and there wont be any problems further.
He said earlier the 0.1 %vibration that was commin was due to a little more weight goin in that tyre(60gms).
He said after the tyre change from front to back and back to front that tyre took only 15 gms.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks