Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2017, 17:27   #1
BHPian

Crack in WagonR chassis

Dear Friends

I have a 2009 model WagonR clocking around 93000 Kms till date.

Recently on noticing strange creaking sound on the front left side near the wheel, i checked the underside & noticed a huge crack on the bridging panels.

Attaching a few snaps for better understanding of the issue at hand.

I would like to know, if anybody has faced something something similar & how to get it repaired.

One way would be to weld the crack but knowing the quality of welders, i have a feeling that the weld will not last long.

Regards

"J"
Attached Thumbnails
Crack in WagonR chassis-dsc_0046.jpg  

Crack in WagonR chassis-dsc_0047.jpg  

Crack in WagonR chassis-images_rightcage.jpg  

Crack in WagonR chassis-dsc_0044.jpg  

Crack in WagonR chassis-dsc_0049.jpg  

Crack in WagonR chassis-_wagonr_top.png  

Attached Images

finiteinjustice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 21:52   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Crack in WagonR chassis

Is that a crack on apron? We had a similar issue reported in past

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2042619

This can be repaired (apron replacement) but a little cost and time consuming job. M.A.S.S could do the job well. Don't settle for welding, that's not the right fix.
Mr.Boss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 22:05   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

That should be rectified immediately. IIRC, the bolt we see there is of the transmission mount, and should be repaired ASAP. It's probably this part(highlighted in the picture)

Crack in WagonR chassis-capture.jpg

Last edited by Leoshashi : 24th April 2017 at 22:08.
Leoshashi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 08:30   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
That should be rectified immediately. IIRC, the bolt we see there is of the transmission mount, and should be repaired ASAP. It's probably this part(highlighted in the picture)

Attachment 1632644
Yes you are right regarding the part, looks same in the drawing. Thanks for the advice. Anyways suppose I don't repair it for another 1000 kms what are the probable implications.
Old 25th April 2017, 09:02   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finiteinjustice View Post
Anyways suppose I don't repair it for another 1000 kms what are the probable implications.
Depends on you luck, either you may have thousands of successful miles or the vehicle may need a tow truck immediately when you crank the engine next time. I suggest not to take any risk as apron failure may lead to failure of few surrounding parts as well. Get it corrected ASAP.
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 09:05   #6
BHPian

Yes, I am planning to get the issue checked by Maruti guys nearby today itself
Old 25th April 2017, 10:02   #7
BHPian

Though the problem is probably already clear but the question that is in my mind is that how did such a crack occur?

Metal fatigue? Manufacturing defect? Rust? Other factors like an impact on a pothole or something else?

Would really appreciate if someone puts light on the cause.
thatfastdude19 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 10:05   #8
Team-BHP Support

Seems like acid water from battery (sitting on top) has been flowing onto that area. Get this fixed ASAP, it is dangerous to drive around with a broken chassis. If it breaks you are looking at a huge bill, might as well bite the bullet and get it fixed now itself.
Jaggu is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 15:06   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post

Attachment 1632644
Check out the item no. marked 7 in the drawing below. That is where the crack is as rightly pointed out by you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Is that a crack on apron? We had a similar issue reported in past

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2042619

This can be repaired (apron replacement) but a little cost and time consuming job. M.A.S.S could do the job well. Don't settle for welding, that's not the right fix.
Yes, thats the same problem which i faced. Actually 6 months back i noticed that the gap between the wheel & arch on the left side had reduced to the point that at some turning positions the tyre was touching the mud flaps. On checking i noticed a small bend in the bottom portion of the left apron where the crack is seen currently. At that time the problem was rectified by flame heating the portion & hammering is back in shape. Now it has cracked. It may be that due to heating of the component it became hardened due to carburizing flame which may have lead to cracking of the same.

In our part of the country, even national higways are like offroad tracks with moon crater sized potholes. The bend in the apron was probably due to impact of regularly falling in those potholes which are impossible to dodge.
Attached Thumbnails
Crack in WagonR chassis-apron-drgs.png  

Attached Images

Last edited by khan_sultan : 27th April 2017 at 16:04. Reason: Back to back posts -- merging
Old 27th April 2017, 15:41   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatfastdude19 View Post
how did such a crack occur?

Metal fatigue? Manufacturing defect? Rust? Other factors like an impact on a pothole or something else?
Below is the answer for your query.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finiteinjustice View Post
6 months back i noticed that the gap between the wheel & arch on the left side had reduced to the point that at some turning positions the tyre was touching the mud flaps. On checking i noticed a small bend in the bottom portion of the left apron where the crack is seen currently. At that time the problem was rectified by flame heating the portion & hammering is back in shape. Now it has cracked. It may be that due to heating of the component it became hardened due to carburizing flame which may have lead to cracking of the same.

In our part of the country, even national higways are like offroad tracks with moon crater sized potholes. The bend in the apron was probably due to impact of regularly falling in those potholes which are impossible to dodge.
I wish you should have including these details in the initial post. At least now you have some peace of mind since the root cause is known. Get it corrected ASAP.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 15:53   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Seems like acid water from battery (sitting on top) has been flowing onto that area. Get this fixed ASAP, it is dangerous to drive around with a broken chassis. If it breaks you are looking at a huge bill, might as well bite the bullet and get it fixed now itself.
Mr. Jaagu

As you have quoted, battery water is also a cause as in WagonR the battery sits right on top of the LH apron position. If there is any spillage from the battery, it will end up exactly at the position of the crack & will lead to corrosion & thinning of the metal part. This will hasten the bending, cracks etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatfastdude19 View Post
Though the problem is probably already clear but the question that is in my mind is that how did such a crack occur?

Would really appreciate if someone puts light on the cause.

This is not a case of manufacturing defect but potholes & metal fatique contribute significantly to the crack

Last edited by khan_sultan : 27th April 2017 at 16:04. Reason: Back to back posts -- merging
finiteinjustice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 16:08   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Below is the answer for your query.

I wish you should have including these details in the initial post. At least now you have some peace of mind since the root cause is known. Get it corrected ASAP.

Went to Maruti authorized service centre day before yesterday. Discussed the whole issue. Two options were given to me as below:

1) Change the complete LH apron assembly. It will require, the engine to be removed, 10 days (min.) & INR 13000.00/- (approX.) to get it done. Money is not a problem but time is.

2) Or cut out the cracked portion & weld a new one. 2 days & INR 4500.00/- (appro.) to get it done. No guarantees on lasting.

Well option1 seems the right thing to do, but i came came back without doing anything. Well they said, it may hold in this condition for some more time provided the vehicle doesn't get into large potholes. Will try to put the vehicle in the garage by may end bu till that time it would probably clock another 1000 kms. Hoping for the best.

Regards
"J"
finiteinjustice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 16:15   #13
BHPian

While i was at the Maruti service centre came across another car with similar problem as mine. It was repaired 1 year back & still holding but yes the car is sparsely used unlike my case.

Managed to take a few snaps & sharing here for all to see.

Anybody noticed the welding. I see no cracks. Check out guys
Attached Thumbnails
Crack in WagonR chassis-img20170425wa0001.jpg  

Crack in WagonR chassis-img20170425wa0002.jpg  

Old 27th April 2017, 22:23   #14
BHPian

^^ Go for the cheaper option. A similar issue in my Zen was dealt with a 400 buck patch work. Just find a good welder, the previous guy messed up the part. Most ASSs use the oxy acetylene torch only. It's skill that matters.
fighterace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 16:00   #15
BHPian

Sorry for the delay in updating the repair status of my car.

I got the cracked left side apron of my WagonR repaired at the workshop where i usually put my car for regular maintenance.

Before putting it up for repair, i drove for approx. 1200 kms. The crack didn't develop any further in the intervening period. Here are some pics of the repair.

After the repair i have already driven my car by aprrox. another 1500 kms. Till now i have not encountered any problem.

Total cost of repair incl. servicing, alignment, balancing, floor mat change, wiper blade change, body sound rectification & several other minor issues etc. came to around INR 11000.00/-
Attached Thumbnails
Crack in WagonR chassis-img_20170715_115148478.jpg  

Crack in WagonR chassis-img_20170715_115201141.jpg  

finiteinjustice is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks