Team-BHP - 2017 ground clearance update - ARAI now measuring GC with laden weight
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   2017 ground clearance update - ARAI now measuring GC with laden weight (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/187567-2017-ground-clearance-update-arai-now-measuring-gc-laden-weight.html)

How is ground clearance measured in India? Full fuel tank, one passenger? Full tank full load? Ground till what point?

When I read 150 mm ground clearance (for example in the Tiguan), that's 15 cm, but visually the car seems much higher from the ground.

(Also, is there a law on the size and frequency of speed breakers? Surely speed breakers legally must be much lower in height than ground clearance specified by motoring authorities?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by parambyte (Post 4212131)
How is ground clearance measured in India?

Sir, there is a thread running already on this subject. Please see:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...easured-6.html

Continue posting there rather than a duplicate thread.

Quote:

When I read 150 mm ground clearance (for example in the Tiguan), that's 15 cm, but visually the car seems much higher from the ground.

There's a major update in 2017 with respect to how ground clearance is calculated. The new ARAI measurement standards stipulate that ground clearance should be calculated with the laden weight (laden mass at gross vehicle weight).

That's why the new Fortuner's official GC rating is 184 mm. If we go by the old standard, then the unladen rating is 225 mm. Thanks to Karan561 for sharing this info!

I wish all manufacturers start providing the laden & unladen GC in the official spec sheets. This ARAI update is sure as hell leading to a lot of confusion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4212249)
There's a major update in 2017 with respect to how ground clearance is calculated. The new ARAI measurement standards stipulate that ground clearance should be calculated with the laden weight (laden mass at gross vehicle weight).

May be this is the reason why the new Dzire has lower quoted ground clearance than the old one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoshashi (Post 4212323)
May be this is the reason why the new Dzire has lower quoted ground clearance than the old one.

Bingo! It's laden ground clearance is 163 mm.

From the comparison point of view, that is a useless stat unless we know:

a) What the laden ground clearance of the old car was?

b) What the unladen ground clearance of the new car is?

EDIT: I stand corrected. The press release & brochure clearly mention that the 2017 Dzire's unladen GC is 163 mm. It is indeed much lower than the outgoing car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoshashi (Post 4212323)

I saw the new Dzire yesterday, it is indeed quite low. It has a very squat stance and this also lends it a more premium look IMO.

I stopped and took a second glance at the Dzire as I felt something was odd about the way it looked, it is quite lower and wider than the outgoing Dzire.

Quote:

Given that ground clearance is measured to the lowest point on the vehicle's underside, just looking at a car might not be a consistently accurate way to judge this.

Quote:

(Also, is there a law on the size and frequency of speed breakers? Surely speed breakers legally must be much lower in height than ground clearance specified by motoring authorities?)

Do see the PDF attached in this post, where a BHPian actioned the removal of 17 illegal speedbreakers.

Jeep Compass is next in line to specify the GC with laden weight, and the GC is 179mm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4217740)
Jeep Compass is next in line to specify the GC with laden weight, and the GC is 179mm.

Compared to VW Tiguan's laden GC of 149mm (unladen GC is 202mm), the 179mm laden GC of Compass seems a lot !

I dont know why we have to have different standards and standard setting bodies. Why cant we just follow euro standards ? Would be good to abolish these organizations. Even for crash test, we could use NCAP instead of wasting money on setting up our own and watering down requirements.

Quote:

Originally Posted by srishiva (Post 4217757)
I dont know why we have to have different standards and standard setting bodies. Why cant we just follow euro standards ? Would be good to abolish these organizations. Even for crash test, we could use NCAP instead of wasting money on setting up our own and watering down requirements.

Excellent thought, srishiva. I have wondered for a long time why no one has given this matter thought - this mindless effort to invent the wheel every where in every thing. What a waste of time & resource & the inevitable pull of vested interests.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4212249)

That's why the new Fortuner's official GC rating is 184 mm. If we go by the old standard, then the unladen rating is 225 mm. Thanks to Karan561 for sharing this info!

I wish all manufacturers start providing the laden & unladen GC in the official spec sheets. This ARAI update is sure as hell leading to a lot of confusion.

What was the reason for this move by Arai ? Is it to get the consumer aware of the actual GC when the car is loaded ? Or otherwise? In the pre GST structure which we are currently on, there is a 3% tax rebate/savings on vehicles > 1500 but less than 170 mm GC compared to vehicles > 1500 cc and above 170 mm GC( this was more like a 3% tax for full blown SUVs).
Has this move been used by manufacturers to save on the 3% tax ? For example if Tucson/Tiguan duck under 170 mm it will be eligible for the 3% rebate/ savings.

ARAI should have defined a new standard to measure GC in terms of Gross Weight and Kerb Weight. This "laden weight: with 4 adults and 90% fuel" just adds to confusion.

That way, we could estimate the GC when the car is empty and fully loaded.

But as GTO said, there's going to be a hell lot of confusion in specifications. ARAI should set guidelines for declaration of specifications.

Makes me wonder: Why are gear ratios of MT cars never listed on the cars website?

Quote:

Originally Posted by landcruiser123 (Post 4223473)
Makes me wonder: Why are gear ratios of MT cars never listed on the cars website?

I think they are not mentioned on the "Indian" websites.
I do remember seeing the gear ratios for S-Cross highlighted in the Japan website on our forum. Attachment 1649304 provides this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 4218748)
Updated S Cross for Japan with the 1.6L petrol engine in 2WD, 6AT and 4WD in 6AT configurations. ( Made in Hungary and sold in Japan)

Prices - 2WD , 6AT at ~ 12 lakhs ( likely config. for India )

- 4WD, 6AT at ~ 13.3 lakhs

Updated spec - Ground clearance , 185 mm with 215/55R17

Attachment 1649306
Attachment 1649302
Attachment 1649303
Attachment 1649304
Attachment 1649305

Speculating this engine could feature in the updated S Cross and later for Ciaz in India.

Source- Suzuki Japan

ARAI spells out the new ground clearance norms. Measurements will now be taken with a fully laden vehicle, as against the earlier condition of an unladen vehicle.

Quote:

Ground clearance is the distance between the ground and the lowest point of the centre part of the vehicle. The centre part is that part contained between 80 percent of the least distance between points on the inner edges of the wheels on any one axle.

A vehicle suspension compresses under load and thus ground clearance values will be lower with a fully loaded vehicle. With the new measurement process, a vehicle’s minimum ground clearance emerges as against the earlier maximum clearance value
2017 ground clearance update - ARAI now measuring GC with laden weight-0_530_800_http___cdni_autocarindia_com_extraimages_20170714065737_car-copy.jpg

Automakers are re-calibrating the GC of their vehicles.

Fiat has released the new ground clearance values for their models, for example, the Fiat Avventura now has a value of 156mm as against the earlier value of 205mm.

link