Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2017, 09:53   #1
BHPian

D.I.Y. ECU Tweaking / Flashing Tools

Hi guys,

For quite some time I've been going through a compulsive instinct to get a cheaper affordable tool to make minor tweaks to my cars ECU on my own & have been searching online.

The cheapest I could find was something called the Galletto 1260. It comes with the cable & the software too(probably a cracked one) for just about 10 US dollars exclusive of shipping charges which are also quite nominal. I am attaching a standard image available on almost every Chinese website that is selling this.

Does anyone on the forum have any idea about this? Also, if someones aware of some alternate tool, even if its relatively expensive, please do share details and feedback regarding first hand experiences would be greatly appreciated.

I recently bought a cheap OBDII bluetooth scan adapter which works quite well with the torque android app but its basically a read info tool and fault code scan purpose tool. You can easily identify this on websites, its the translucent blue colored adapter with a sticker that says ELM327 OBDII

PS: The purpose of this thread is to gain some insight into affordable OBDII ECU Flashing tools & methods & achieving the tweak successfully. Please do not start the advice giving or warning about the risks of DIY ECU Flashing, & how it can blow up the engine & so on, unless the risk is solely associated with the poor nature of any tool mentioned that might brick the ECU. When I talk about ECU tweaking, I am fully aware of the risks that go along with it. All I want to know is, if anyone has experience doing it with the cheaper tools or are the expensive ones like the Alientech Kess V2 a compulsion.

When I say DIY ECU Tweaking, I dont mean to go all out & start readjusting the Fuel maps or ignition timing or so on.. just basic stuff that marginally improves engine response characteristics for me without possibly affecting the engine adversely in any fashion.

MODS: if theres a similar thread, please direct me to it. I couldnt find any. All the threads about ECU Remapping were about getting the ECU Remap done from professional services & not about tools that can be bought cheaply & or, basic tweaks that can be done by ourselves. Sharing of DIY Experiences with regard to ECU flashing are also welcome.

Thanks All.
Attached Thumbnails
D.I.Y. ECU Tweaking / Flashing Tools-galletto.jpg  

Racer911 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 10:02   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: D.I.Y. ECU Tweaking / Flashing Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer911 View Post
When I say DIY ECU Tweaking, I dont mean to go all out & start readjusting the Fuel maps or ignition timing or so on.. just basic stuff that marginally improves engine response characteristics for me without possibly affecting the engine adversely in any fashion.
What do you mean by the "basic stuff"?
What I know is that when you're in the brain of the car, the only things you can fiddle with is the maps/timings etc. Or nothing.
My suggestion would be not waste your money.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 10:19   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: D.I.Y. ECU Tweaking / Flashing Tools

Quote:
There are many Chinese clone tools. Some work and some don't. Also, these tools can brick your ECU. Even if you get the ECU read from these clones.. You need a tuning software like Winols / ECM Titanium / Swiftec etc to tweak the file. Again, you can get "cracked versions".

Remember you would be using clone and cracked tuning software and risk quotient is very high.

Want to do a safe remap yourself??

1. Invest on master tools

2. Get a licensed tuning software like Winols

3. Learn to identify maps. You can also buy DAMOS / Map packs for the ECU version you are interested in.

Well, this would cost around 10 lakhs if you need to do a safe tune on your own

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 21st June 2017 at 10:21.
Dr.Naren is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 11:39   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: D.I.Y. ECU Tweaking / Flashing Tools

Link to personal flasher for 30k - link.

And a related thread.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 13:36   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
What do you mean by the "basic stuff"?
What I know is that when you're in the brain of the car, the only things you can fiddle with is the maps/timings etc. Or nothing.
My suggestion would be not waste your money.
Basic stuff would include remove speed limiters, rev limiters etc.. Tweaking the EGR map wouldnt really do the engine any harm.
eg. in neutral, VW cars do not allow the RPM to cross 3000. Now maybe I wanna override that.

And with all due respect, this is precisely what I meant when I said in the opening post, no advises & warnings except regarding possible

No offense at all Mayank, but rather than people telling me whether I should do it or not or whether I'd be wasting or utilizing my money, I want to find out what lower cost tools may be used to have access & change settings in the ECU & if you believe that theres no cheaper tool except the 400 dollar 500 dollar ones that can be used reliably, then I wont argue over that & take your views into consideration.

Tools for ECU Flashing over the OBDII port, are available plenty with prices starting from 10 dollars to over 1000 dollars. Now I know for sure as hell that I dont need those 1000 dollar versions just to satiate a small itch in my head to be able to get reliable access to the ECU. But I wouldn't want to just go & pick the cheapest stuff on the market with rosy reviews & possibly kill the ECU just to be forced to spend a 1000 dollars on a new one.

Once again, apologies if anyone has been offended, but I'm trying to find a cheaper solution that hits the sweet spot between price & function rather than being put off by listing the problems of anything that are not the most expensive. Its like the aftermarket car spares market, not every other brand thats cheaper than the OEM prices is a waste of money. People do try and find a balance between price & quality. I'm trying to do the same over here.

Last edited by Racer911 : 21st June 2017 at 13:41.
Racer911 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 14:56   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Basic stuff would include remove speed limiters, rev limiters etc.. Tweaking the EGR map wouldnt really do the engine any harm.
eg. in neutral, VW cars do not allow the RPM to cross 3000. Now maybe I wanna override that.
Nice topic Racer911 ! I've myself been wondering about tweaking things like making my doors lock when the ignition is turned on etc., (It may not be the ECU per se, but I guess the BCU is part of 'ECU' tuning).

I think manufacturers should allow us to customize some features by letting us do it via our phones or PCs. Some parts of the ECU that would affect/destroy the engine etc., should be kept off limits for novices and some selected areas should be open to "superusers" and the rest only to professionals.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 15:03   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Link to personal flasher for 30k - link.

And a related thread.
Hi, thanks for the link to understanding ECU. Its a wonderful read. I'll complete it today evening after office hours.

The code6 personal flasher I'm already aware about.. but I guess its just reflashing the maps that they send right?? & one cant change anything in the maps on their own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Nice topic Racer911 ! I've myself been wondering about tweaking things like making my doors lock when the ignition is turned on etc., (It may not be the ECU per se, but I guess the BCU is part of 'ECU' tuning).

I think manufacturers should allow us to customize some features by letting us do it via our phones or PCs. Some parts of the ECU that would affect/destroy the engine etc., should be kept off limits for novices and some selected areas should be open to "superusers" and the rest only to professionals.
Hi, yeah, I dont really consider these settings to be ECU as such. But nevertheless, I guess in most cars the top end variants allow these settings from the drivers seat itself. The menus for these are displayed in the speedo digital display area. I've a Ciaz ZDI+ and all such settings like when the engine shuts off, should the locks open automatically, when the car starts moving should they lock automatically, when I press unlock button on remote, do all 4 locks operate simultaneously or first the driver side unlocks and on second press all doors unlock, when doors open should the footwell light up. etc etc and all such settings are already available in many C segment cars in India.

But if these arent available to you, I've just the solution. Theres an android app called Carista, and they sell their own branded OBDII bluetooth Wifi adapter online. The app allows you to see the complete list of customization your ECU has and allows you to tweak it. Check out a video on YouTube, I think this is exactly what you're looking for. I think the Carista adapter itself would be the safest bet, as I tried my recently purchased Chinese OBDII adapter for about Rs. 300 from Gearbest.com and although it works fine with the Torque android app to give back all sorts of readings, it doesnt work with Carista to tweak the above mentioned settings. Carista app declares it to be a defective adapter.

Though it connects everytime fine with the Torque app, in my Honda I get the following readings very accurately:

Engine RPM
Battery Voltage (at the OBD port)
Intake Air Temp
Coolant Temp
Turbo Boost/Vacuum Guage
MAF (Mass Air Flow) volume
Engine Load

and a couple of more. Many other readings are supported by the App but not necessary your cars' ECU Would support them.

PS: the Carista App and adapter only allow the kind of settings mentioned above. You're not gonna be able to tweak any sort of engine performance parameter with it.

Last edited by navin : 21st June 2017 at 15:32.
Racer911 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 15:21   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The code6 personal flasher I'm already aware about.. but I guess its just reflashing the maps that they send right?? & one cant change anything in the maps on their own?
The personal flasher wouldn't be of any help for you. You are planning to tweak the stock on your own. As I said you need a master tool and licensed tuning software to do it properly.

But it's not worth the investment unless you are planning to do it as business. The Chinese clones are very unreliable. I suggest you to get European clone (would cost around 50k). This would do support most of the cars with OBD protocols. Now, the biggest challenge is to tweak the read file on your own. This is not easy my friend. You have to invest on good softwares and know some basics to identity different maps. But this is not very difficult.. There are many companies who offer tuning courses

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 21st June 2017 at 15:41. Reason: Typo
Old 21st June 2017, 15:39   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
The personal flasher wouldn't be of any help for you. You are planning to tweak the stock on your own. As I said you need a master tool and licensed tuning software to do it properly.

But it's not worth the investment unless you are planning to do it as business. The Chinese clones are very unreliable. I suggest you to get European close (would cost around 50k). This would do support most of the cars with OBD protocols. Now, the biggest challenge is to tweak the read file on your own. This is not easy my friend. You have to invest on good softwares and know some basics to identity different maps. But this is not very difficult.. There are many companies who offer tuning courses
Yeah, I am thinking about a course but if some online correspondence kind of thing is available. I dont want to go too deep in this, just so much I understand what I'm doing and when I open ECU Maps, I understand exactly what I'm looking at and what it'd do if changed it. Although, I feel this much I can even accomplish on YouTube.

The chinese clones being unreliable, that is exactly what I am skeptical about. But I think I'll still try for experience sake and just try and get a proper read of the ECU Map. Just trying to read the ECU wont do it any harm now, would it?
Old 21st June 2017, 15:49   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, I am thinking about a course but if some online correspondence kind of thing is available.
Yes, there are few paid online tutorials.

Quote:
Although, I feel this much I can even accomplish on YouTube.
Haha no buddy. You won't get much free info anywhere. YouTube has only some basic videos. And most of them are for VAG cars. Do remember every ECU is different. Say you know how to identity some maps in EDC17, it won't be the same in Delphi or Marelli ECU. Even the big established tuners can't identify all the maps on their own (Tune O Tronics were not able to identify and tweak EGR maps in my S-Cross). If you couldn't identity maps on your own, you have to invest on map packs for the particular ECU.

Quote:
The chinese clones being unreliable, that is exactly what I am skeptical about. But I think I'll still try for experience sake and just try and get a proper read of the ECU Map. Just trying to read the ECU wont do it any harm now, would it?
True, nothing would happen usually if you are only reading the ECU by OBD. Let's assume you have got the read of ECU by some cheap clone tool. What next? How are you going to tweak the file?

I would also advice you to register in few ECU / tuning forums. You will get lot of information. Sharing few links below :

http://www.chiptuners.org/forums/index.php

http://www.ecuconnections.com/forum/

http://www.ecuedit.com/

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 21st June 2017 at 15:53.
Dr.Naren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 10:40   #11
PGA
BHPian

Friends I have recently purchased Bolero Power Plus, it has mHawk D70 engine. I travel 100 kms daily and am getting FE of about 17km/ltr. I understand TUV 300 fitted same engine is tuned to give FE of 18.5 km/ltr. I am not interested in acceleration or max speed performance of the car. My query is

Can I remap ECU of Bolero Power Plus to the same standard as in TUV 300. My inquiry with local MAS was responded like
Old 9th July 2017, 14:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
Friends I have recently purchased Bolero Power Plus, it has mHawk D70 engine. I travel 100 kms daily and am getting FE of about 17km/ltr. I understand TUV 300 fitted same engine is tuned to give FE of 18.5 km/ltr. I am not interested in acceleration or max speed performance of the car. My query is

Can I remap ECU of Bolero Power Plus to the same standard as in TUV 300. My inquiry with local MAS was responded like
Both vehicles even if running the same engine have different body weight and gear ratios, final drive etc.

Hence may not be advisable to do replicate the same

headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 14:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

There are readers available in amazon.in starting from 6K odd all the way upwards. I have been toying with the idea too, but not progressed yet as I want a universal reader to read VAG cars, Korean cars and Indian cars.

Old 8th May 2023, 18:44   #14
BHPian

Amazing thread, and the links are very knowledgeable.

I find myself in a similar position as OP, trying to explore cheaper options to get into the car's ECU and explore around (maybe poking a few sticks around here and there).

In 2023, I see a few online courses that teach a lot of ECU tuning. Right from basics up. But again the research required to not only finding a reliable/affordable tool but for it to work well with your car's platform is tough.

Are there any updates to how the journey? I've grown to understand there are 2 types of tools: master and slave.

The master tool has read write update features. Where as the slave tool can only read write ECU files from and to the ECU. I even got my car remapped recently and the experience was amazing, but the guy directly connected to my ECU from its pins rather than using the OBD port.

My question still stands as the OP, does an affordable DIY solution exist for ECU tuning?

Thanks and regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks