Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2017, 07:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Filling grease in the rubber boot of the steering ball joint?

Mods, Please move to appropriate thread as searching Steering Ball Joint did not yield any result.

While replacing the Steering Ball Joint (the part which is connected to Tie Rod End) with new one, is it necessary to apply Grease on that Ball Joint externally?

I have seen in our Xylo that when the Steering Ball Joint is replaced with new one, the Mechanic fills some grease inside the rubber boot of that Steering ball joint. Is it a good practice or the Grease that comes prefilled inside Ball Joint is sufficient?

I don't understand how can the Grease filled in the rubber boot provide lubrication to the Ball inside that Ball Joint.

Please enlighten on this.
Old 21st July 2017, 15:10   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Filling grease in the rubber boot of the steering ball joint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
While replacing the Steering Ball Joint (the part which is connected to Tie Rod End) with new one, is it necessary to apply Grease on that Ball Joint externally?

I have seen in our Xylo that when the Steering Ball Joint is replaced with new one, the Mechanic fills some grease inside the rubber boot of that Steering ball joint. Is it a good practice or the Grease that comes prefilled inside Ball Joint is sufficient?

I don't understand how can the Grease filled in the rubber boot provide lubrication to the Ball inside that Ball Joint.

Please enlighten on this.
The rubber boot / bellow acts to prevent dust getting to the ball joint, and gradually wearing out the joint. However, it degrades and splits more quickly when in contact with large amounts of petroleum-based grease, which many mechanics seem to love packing inside the boot before fitment.

Best practice is to coat the external surface of the metal part with a thin layer of heavy grease before fitting the boot. In future, if the boot cracks / splits and before such damage is detected on routine inspection, this grease layer would prevent dust from getting inside the joint quickly and causing immediate damage. Filling the inside of the boot tightly with grease has no role in providing lubriication to the joint, and is to be strictly avoided.
SS-Traveller is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 16:47   #3
Team-BHP Support

A brand new ball joint should come with grease pre-filled, so under normal circumstances there is no need for any additional grease. At the best little bit on the metal stud for easy fitment maybe a good idea.

Anyways one can easily wash off the excess grease on top of the rubber, and that should take care of the issue of deterioration.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 17:24   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Agree, the primary function of the rubber boot is to keep dust and muck out of the pre-greased ball joint.

In most countries with strict MOTs a split or torn rubber boot is an immediate fail. You will be surprised how quickly a ball joint can wear out when it gets covered in dust and muck. Don't apply grease to the metal conus shaped part when installing. This needs to be a metal to metal contact. Make sure it's very clean and always use a proper torque wrench at the manufacturer recommended torque setting to tighten the nut.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 22:11   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

On a brand new ball joint (comes pre-lubricated) with the rubber boot on place there is no need of any additional grease application. But when the boot wears added layer of grease prevents water and dust entry into the ball socket (but not to forget rubber properties deteriorate with oil & grease)
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2017, 20:08   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Xylo
Hi friend and my colleagues,
as you all know, I also own a Xylo, current ODO 183500 KMs, just crossed 7 years. What is your ODO, maybe 3 Lacs ?

Till now I remember minimum 3 times replacing the steering ball joint (along with its rubber boot cover). The ball joints have special grease factory-filled, and any leakage will cause issues with the movement of the joint. No need to externally apply any grease while fitting.
This rubber cover is bit hard type, and doesn't get brittle or worn very easily, reasonably long life.

I clearly remember this replacement works were done at 3 different places, in my presence : two times at MM-ASS's and one (most recent) at nearby local garage. Never did I see mechanic putting grease on the ball joint or inside the boot cover. One side of the boot cover (narrow end over the rod) is closed using the metal clip, and other side (broad end which is slipped over the steering rack part) is tightened using a cable-tie, so that dust/water doesn't enter inside. At the max, the mechanic may apply a bit of grease on the lip of rubber cover (broader side), just to easily slip it on the rack part.

PS: dada, I remember long long back while talking you gave me this valuable tip to re-confirm tightening of the cable-tie on this boot. :-)

wishing many happy & safe miles to all.

regards,
Pranav
pcpranav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2017, 20:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

I got the Steering Ball Joint replaced alongwith the Boot on 17-07-2017.
But at that time, I could not procure the OEM Boot so fitted Bolero/Scorpio Aftermarket Boot which was flexible type and not a bit hard type as mentioned by Pranav.
As I was running short of time, I got that Boot fitted. The Previous one too was the same type and was short in length as compared to OEM for Xylo.

Now I bought the OEM Boot which is a bit hard type from M&M Spares Outlet (not Dealer or ASC).

Now should I get the OEM Boot installed ASAP or wait for another 5-7KKms until the currently fitted Boot gets Torn.

Pranav, The Odometer reads 2,87,580 Kms.
Old 22nd July 2017, 21:18   #8
BHPian

Quote:

Now should I get the OEM Boot installed ASAP or wait for another 5-7KKms until the currently fitted Boot gets Torn.

Pranav, The Odometer reads 2,87,580 Kms.
I suggest pls don't wait for the current boot to get torn, by then the dust would have already entered, defeating the purpose of the boot. Practically, I would suggest you keep an eye on the boot every 10-15 days, even consider the running conditions, and soon at earliest convenient schedule.
I also think that softer rubber are low cost ones, whereas the OEM recommended hard ones are bit costly, around ~700 a pair.

thats the highest ODO I have personally seen for a Xylo, keep enjoying.
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks