Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2017, 03:17   #16
BHPian

Re: Towing of automatic transmission cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
You can flat bed your car anywhere. As long as your drive wheels are not running there shouldn't be a problem. The SX4 is a front wheel drive vehicle, and hence manual recommends the front wheels to be stationary while towing.
Yes, I guess flat bed towing can be used for almost any car. However, Maruti should have mentioned that.

So, what will be the towing method for AWD/4X4 cars? Owners of Fortuner 4X4 AT and XUV AWD AT, please provide your input.
Old 10th August 2017, 05:48   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Do not tow an AT* car with its driven wheels on the ground even if the transmission in N**. When its in N only the engine is decoupled from the transmission, the wheels will drive the gears inside. The pump that supply oil to AT is driven by the engine and without engine running there will be loss of lubrication.

Flat bed the AT. Or atleast get the driven wheels off the ground.

*Except AMT cars. Those are externally automated manual gearboxes.
** 4WD automatics with manual transfer cases can be towed with TC in neutral. Probably rare nowadays with electronics taking over.
How does a RWD or AWD (typically German but any other similar car too I guess) get towed then? I mean even for limited purpose of putting on to the flatbed ramp?
Old 10th August 2017, 05:51   #18
BHPian

Quote:
How does a RWD or AWD (typically German but any other similar car too I guess) get towed then? I mean even for limited purpose of putting on to the flatbed ramp?
"Cannot be towed" does not mean "cannot be moved at all".

AT cars CAN be moved at very slow speeds with the gear selector in N. Only sustained towing over significant distances causes damage. Putting the car on a flatbed ramp is no problem at all.

Last edited by GTO : 10th August 2017 at 10:45. Reason: Quote tags
benu9714 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 05:54   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I mean even for limited purpose of putting on to the flatbed ramp?
For a limited period of time, normal towing should be fine. The vehicle should not be towed with the drive wheels on the ground for longer than x KMS or faster than y KMP. The exact figure of X and Y should be mentioned in the owner's manual, though manual for SX4 does not mention anything about that.
hok kolorob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 11:32   #20
BHPian

The entire discussion so far is based on the assumption you know what you are doing and are in control of the situation.

What happens when your AT car is towed by the cops with you no where around? This has happened to me twice. What should I check for? Both the times car was in P mode with parking brake engaged.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Primarily, why would a car have to be towed away by the cops?

If the car was in "P" with the hand brake engaged, I presume they would have just dragged it along - presuming they lifted the front wheels and towed it. Your tyres may have taken a beating.
The car has been towed by the cops. The distance of towing has been approx 500m in both cases. There is no evidence of the rear tyres having been dragged. This was the first thing I checked both times. The rear tyres are just fine.

Last edited by BeantownThinker : 10th August 2017 at 11:48.
Old 10th August 2017, 11:38   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
What happens when your AT car is towed by the cops with you no where around? This has happened to me twice. What should I check for? Both the times car was in P mode with parking brake engaged.
Primarily, why would a car have to be towed away by the cops?

I am sure the law enforcement is really not bothered about what is the consequence of their actions. As far as they are concerned, they are dealing with a law offender.

If the car was in "P" with the hand brake engaged, I presume they would have just dragged it along - presuming they lifted the front wheels and towed it. Your tyres may have taken a beating.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 11:50   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
The entire discussion so far is based on the assumption you know what you are doing and are in control of the situation.

Bengaluru Traffic police have now got tow vehicles which grab the car by its front wheel and lift it up. If it is a FWD AT car, this wont cause any issue at all. In fact I appreciate that they gave up on the stupid method of tying some part of the car to their tow vehicle and lift it up. The only issue with this method is that if the car is rear wheel drive, then it will lead to issues. I am not sure if the towing guys even have a clue about FWD/RWD, MT AT and so on.

Last time I saw a Kwid being towed, its rear left wheel had jammed and they were towing it as if nothing was wrong. To avoid this, I ensure that I always park in a designated parking spot, even if it is paid. I am too paranoid to let anyone tow my car unless its a flatbed, which the cops dont have In foreign countries, they do take into account the drivetrain of the car when they decide the method of towing.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 11:42   #23
BHPian

Vehicle manufacturers warns us against towing an auto transmission vehicle using a tow chord for a reason; When Nuetral is engaged, the transmission is disconnected from the engine , however connected to the wheels. While being towed so , the transmission will get heated up , which is not being cooled since the vehicle engine is not running. This is not good for the transmission as you know and hence manufacturers asks us not to exceed a certain speed or distance or sometimes asks us never to do so in this manner.

Last edited by JozfGT : 14th August 2017 at 12:10. Reason: Got confused with Tow chord and Flat bed tow..!
Old 14th August 2017, 12:02   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JozfGT View Post
Vehicle manufacturers warns us against towing an auto transmission vehicle flatbed for a reason; When Nuetral is engaged, the transmission is disconnected from the engine , however connected to the wheels. While being towed flatbed , the transmission will get heated up , which is not being cooled since the vehicle engine is not running.

Towing flatbed does not turn the wheels itself, where does this question of transmission getting heated up?
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 12:12   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

Towing flatbed does not turn the wheels itself, where does this question of transmission getting heated up?

Thanks for pointing it out..! I got confused about towing using a tow rope and flat bed.

PS:Flatbed towing is a safe way to transport vehicles when required.
JozfGT is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks