Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2017, 23:08   #1
BHPian

Commercial Vehicle lubes & oils

After a long hiatus (3years), I'm back!
Moderators, please decide where this thread fits

I have a few queries regarding Buses.
BHPians with experiencein the transport sector/ oil dealerships/garage & repair contractors etc- please help out with your valuable advice.

We currently have a few TATA passenger buses and Ashok Leyland ones-the Tata ones were bought just two years ago, while the Leyland ones have been around for 8 years. We operate in Karnataka and Tamil Nadu. I only just got involved in learning the nitty gritties of the business - hence the queries.

1) What are the preferred engine oil brands for Buses made by these two companies? - please mention full name
2) Is it better to use a 15W40 engine oil or 10W30?
3) Does anyone know any dealer/ source from whom i can procure the product directly at a reasonable price?
4)What are the engine oil changing intervals usually followed?
5) Preferred brands/ types of gear & crown oils? with frequency of application
6) We are looking at switching over to MRF tyres (Previously used JK/Michelin/Apollo) - does anyone have an opinion on these?
7) Anybody with any contacts with tyre suppliers or companies that would enable sourcing?

Seems like a lot of questions I know-but hope you all can help.
Old 9th September 2017, 12:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Commercial Vehicle lubes & oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascertain View Post

BHPians with experiencein the transport sector/ oil dealerships/garage & repair contractors etc- please help out with your valuable advice.

We currently have a few TATA passenger buses and Ashok Leyland ones-the Tata ones were bought just two years ago, while the Leyland ones have been around for 8 years. We operate in Karnataka and Tamil Nadu. I only just got involved in learning the nitty gritties of the business - hence the queries.
I am not sure if I can directly answer you questions. But, I can point you out to some people who can answer these question and much more.

They are called servicing/maintenance 'Middle' Men. They are quite prevalent in Odisha/neighboring states, where my father in law runs his trucks.

These middle men, for a small monthly fee, advise you on what needs to be serviced/changed, supervise the service themselves and teach you how to think ahead, like for e.g. planning the usage and purchase of Tyres.

They are not affiliated to any particular workshop, so fleet operators do have to be tied to a particular garage.
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 09:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Commercial Vehicle lubes & oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascertain View Post
After a long hiatus (3years), I'm back!
Moderators, please decide where this thread fits

1) What are the preferred engine oil brands for Buses made by these two companies? - please mention full name
2) Is it better to use a 15W40 engine oil or 10W30?
3) Does anyone know any dealer/ source from whom i can procure the product directly at a reasonable price?
4)What are the engine oil changing intervals usually followed?
5) Preferred brands/ types of gear & crown oils? with frequency of application
6) We are looking at switching over to MRF tyres (Previously used JK/Michelin/Apollo) - does anyone have an opinion on these?
7) Anybody with any contacts with tyre suppliers or companies that would enable sourcing?

Seems like a lot of questions I know-but hope you all can help.
Tried answering some of your questions. Since you have not mentioned about the model and application, shared info generically.

1&2. There are many brands available but will insist you to go for 15W40 CI4 Plus grade. Options include but not limited to Shell Rimula T4, Castrol RX Super Turbo, Gulf Super Fleet LE Dura Max. There is a Co-branded lubs from MAK for Tata also.
3.Sorry, I don't have any contacts in your area.
4.It depends on product and application. Regular oil change interval for long distance application is 40k, however with high capacity sump (17l), (regular 11l) and spin on filter, Ashok Leyland has increased the engine oil change interval to 80k. Same with Tata. Better check your bus or share which model, so that we can help you.
5. For Rear axle and gear box also it varies from 80k to 120k, depends on your current spec. For GB it will be 80W90 and rear axle it will be 85W140. Here also you have choice from Castrol, Servo, Mak and Shell. Mostly the grade varies and the brand remains same.
6.Michelin is better and I don't recommend you moving away from it, as long as you feel its expensive to buy.
7. Unable to help you in your location.
Ashley2 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks