Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2017, 01:45   #1
BHPian

Niggles in my Mercedes GLS350

I recently bought a mercedes gls350 . It has done around 35k Km till now and the car is definitely not free from niggles and squeaks and creaks.

So here are the location of squeaks and creaks. they are so bad i hate going through a bad road. I would request someone to help me fix these

1. Dashboard
2. Center Console
3. Rear Doors
4. Boot
5. Rear seats
6. Spare Tyre and the equipment alongside
7. It feels like the chassis is flexing

Niggles and Issues
1. Parking sensors would turn off - need to clean them and restart the car
2. The steering leather is very prone to discoloration
3. Brakes grind when near stopping or stop and go traffic
4. The markings on button for turning off cup holder cooling/heating has bubbled
5. The car vibrates sometimes at high speeds ( wheel balancing and alignment done to try fix )
6. Car key drains battery
V12Doc is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 06:14   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Niggles in my Mercedes GLS350

That's messed up. Sweaks are extremely annoying especially when you have spent so much on buying the car.

I have a minor squeaking problem from the rear seats of with w222 S and it is in the workshop right now to resolve that. But most importantly it is there because the AC cooling just suddenly stopped two days ago.

They are yet to diagnose the problem. Claim it's some wiring issue.

So my point is, you are not alone Mercs aren't as reliable as we would like them to be. I stayed away from this brand for 15 years because my first experience 2001 was a nightmare.
Hope this time it doesn't turn out the same way
Sahil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 13:14   #3
BHPian

re: Niggles in my Mercedes GLS350

The car was for service a few days back and they sent it back without sorting them out. The service center is 2 hrs away and I cant be physically present to show them all the issues. The car is usually dead quiet inside which probably makes all these noises more noticeable. The chassis flex is also there on many other gl which i saw on other forums. I had the previous gen GL and it was a dream to be with. This one even though looks better has it niggles.
V12Doc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 17:20   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Niggles in my Mercedes GLS350

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Doc View Post
I recently bought a mercedes gls350 . It has done around 35k Km till now and the car is definitely not free from niggles and squeaks and creaks.
You drove 35,000 km in less than a quarter . Or did you mean 3,500 km? I remember your recent thread (Mercedes GLS 350 vs Audi Q7 vs Range Rover Sport).

Quote:
So here are the location of squeaks and creaks
Keep complaining. While they solve it, crank the ICE volume knob up. That's what I do . My C220 never had a rattle or squeak even at 75,000 km, but I'm not seeing that in the Mercedes of today (or even BMW).

You're just going to have to followup with the dealership thoroughly. Since he's so far away, get Mercedes into the loop by complaining to the customer care. You can't keep on visiting this workshop; so damn inconvenient.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 18:19   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Just be aware that noise problems are some of the hardest to fix and provide the least amount of incentive to motivate. The dealership strategy is to send the car back saying it's fixed and hope for the customer to give up.

You might want to ask them to involve a MB tech person and report to you detailed steps they have taken to fix. Don't simply accept "it's fixed sir" answer.

The other option is to locate the source of the noise yourself while someone else is driving and suggest the dealer to disassemble and reassemble the suspect areas. There is a risk of things getting worse but I prefer to take things to it's logical conclusion
androdev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 21:21   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You drove 35,000 km in less than a quarter . Or did you mean 3,500 km? I remember your recent thread (Mercedes GLS 350 vs Audi Q7 vs Range Rover Sport).

Keep complaining. While they solve it, crank the ICE volume knob up. That's what I do . My C220 never had a rattle or squeak even at 75,000 km, but I'm not seeing that in the Mercedes of today (or even BMW).

You're just going to have to followup with the dealership thoroughly. Since he's so far away, get Mercedes into the loop by complaining to the customer care. You can't keep on visiting this workshop; so damn inconvenient.
It is 35000 km. The matter if fact today itself the car did around 900 km. Been a lot on outstation trips and the car being bought out of state ( long story of arrogant dealership not treating u seriously)kicked up the mileage initially.

Even though i love my sound cranking up the volume cant be done in every situation especially in car and on call meetings. That moment the squeaking gets on my nerves. The car is soon to go for a mid service air filter change will compain to customer care then. I preferred the merc over land cruiser even after seeing high service costs (Service A - 44k , Service B - 60k brake pads - 70K all four ) mainly because of the experience as land cruiser is too utilitarian for its price. Now i know why LC sells. My fortuner is still rock solid after 90K and so is pajero sport and endeavour at similar mileage. Audi squeaks a but but its given since sedans are not really practical in India (suspension gives up every 50k ) but not expected from a merc. My routes are pretty smooth with a pothole after long km ( North Indian Highways) so it is definitely not the roads. Mercedes needs to up its game otherwise its a lost customer
V12Doc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 21:45   #7
BANNED

I see that you are based in Punjab, do try consulting the other dealerships too(they're not that far apart). The Panjab motors in Mohali is different from the Joshi Autozone in Jalandhar,Ludhiana and Chandigarh. It is the Bhagat group and i've heard positive feedback about their services so do try them as well. Hopefully, they would have a better attitude.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 21:55   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Just be aware that noise problems are some of the hardest to fix and provide the least amount of incentive to motivate. The dealership strategy is to send the car back saying it's fixed and hope for the customer to give up.

You might want to ask them to involve a MB tech person and report to you detailed steps they have taken to fix. Don't simply accept "it's fixed sir" answer.

The other option is to locate the source of the noise yourself while someone else is driving and suggest the dealer to disassemble and reassemble the suspect areas. There is a risk of things getting worse but I prefer to take things to it's logical conclusion

I don’t know about Mercedes but Jaguar maintains a very comprehensive database of all squeaks and rattles. So on every model there are hundreds and hundreds of squeaks/rattles and other noises that are described as what causes it and how to fix it.

I’m sure Mercedes is likely to have something like this. Have they checked the official Mercedes instructions?

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks