Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2012, 20:43   #76
BHPian

Re: Know your power steering

There occurs a problem in my 2009 Swift Zxi power steering rack. The left side of the rack rod has slightly bent and generating a rattling sound when driving over rough surface. The service guy quoted Rs. 27K if I go for replacing the steering rack with a MGP one. Just curious to know if I can go for a hydraulic steering instead of EPS just to save some bucks. Is this type of installation is possible and recommended?
Old 31st October 2012, 11:36   #77
Senior - BHPian

I have two questions. If the gurus can help, please!

Q1. My Honda Civic, I believe has a HPS system. Whenever I turn the steering to the right, the car at idle raises it's RPM to another 300-400 RPM. So for example, if the idling is at 900 RPM, when I turn the steering to the right it goes up to 1300 RPM or so and then comes down. This happens every time and on every instance the steering is turned to the right. However, it doesn't happen when it's turned to the left. Why so?

Q2. My Hyundai Santro has done some 53,000 odd kms and I noticed recently that the steering does this "tak tak tak" sound every time it's moved to the left or right. It doesn't hamper the effectiveness of the steering, nor has it gotten harder. It's just annoying to hear this "tak tak tak" noise every single time the steering is moved in any direction. Why is this happening?
Old 31st October 2012, 11:58   #78
BHPian

@9thsphinx

could it be due to lack of lubrication / greasing in the steering column ?

Have you replaced the power steering fluid anytime ?

There was a similar problem in my indica v2 , later realised that there was some damage to the tie rod due to a huge stone in the middle of the road. Got the tie rod repaired and the noise stopped.
Old 31st October 2012, 12:00   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Q1. My Honda Civic, I believe has a HPS system. Whenever I turn the steering to the right, the car at idle raises it's RPM to another 300-400 RPM. So for example, if the idling is at 900 RPM, when I turn the steering to the right it goes up to 1300 RPM or so and then comes down. This happens every time and on every instance the steering is turned to the right. However, it doesn't happen when it's turned to the left. Why so?
Check the suspension parts on the right. may be something is fouling leading to higher power required to turn the steering towards the right.

Quote:
Q2. My Hyundai Santro has done some 53,000 odd kms and I noticed recently that the steering does this "tak tak tak" sound every time it's moved to the left or right. It doesn't hamper the effectiveness of the steering, nor has it gotten harder. It's just annoying to hear this "tak tak tak" noise every single time the steering is moved in any direction. Why is this happening?
check the steering ball joint / rack. if the sound comes while the car is in motion, with the steering turned right / left, it can be worn out axle boot (do you notice greasy boots?)
planet_rocker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 15:35   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have two questions. If the gurus can help, please!

This should not be happening. Start by checking the
  • Air on both wheels.
  • Ball joints
  • Finally, if both are fine, check the rack and power steering plumbing for blocks.
Quote:
Q2. My Hyundai Santro has done some 53,000 odd kms and I noticed recently that the steering does this "tak tak tak" sound every time it's moved to the left or right. It doesn't hamper the effectiveness of the steering, nor has it gotten harder. It's just annoying to hear this "tak tak tak" noise every single time the steering is moved in any direction. Why is this happening
Please check the CV joints. If the sound is there even when the vehicle is stationary, check the steering rack.

Last edited by dhanushs : 31st October 2012 at 15:40.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 15:46   #81
BHPian

Quote:
My Hyundai Santro has done some 53,000 odd kms and I noticed recently that the steering does this "tak tak tak" sound every time it's moved to the left or right. It doesn't hamper the effectiveness of the steering, nor has it gotten harder. It's just annoying to hear this "tak tak tak" noise every single time the steering is moved in any direction. Why is this happening?
I had the same problem on my palio arnd 2 years back, upon checking, the culprit was the power steering fluid which was leaking. People were suggesting me all kinds of part change, I got the leak sealed and its been 2 years, I have never heard that voice again.

Please get this check as a primary problem before going for any big spend, just in case.
You could also check yourself - First check if there is any drop of fluid at the place where you park your car, if not, check the steering fluid when the car is cold. If it is below the suggested level, take the recommended steering fluid and top it up just right. Drive around for a few days and check if the level decreases, if it does, this is atleast one of the problems.
Fiest@DuraTec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 17:05   #82
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the input, guys. Have listed down your points and will have it professionally checked by the mechanic. There is a reason why I almost always recommend checking the Team-Bhp forum for "any" car related questions to whoever needs information. Time and again I've proved myself right
Old 20th November 2012, 13:26   #83
Senior - BHPian

Read somewhere that, one shouldn't rotate the steering to the fullest as this could cause damage to the power steering unit. Is this true? If yes, and this serious, why don't the manufacturer themselves put a cut, before the actual threshold is reached?

Putting this question here, because it is the general tendency of drivers, to have the steering rotated to the full while negotiating sharp turnings.
Old 13th December 2012, 13:04   #84
BHPian

Folks,

I have a slight steering fluid leakage problem on my almost 5 year old Hyundai Verna CRDi. Authorised dealership says the pinion has to be replaced at a cost of 9K (the issue being oil seal leakage which apparantly cant be changed independently without changing the entire pinion!)

Need your advise on whether it is reliably possible to have this done without this cost thru an independent workshop (am in Delhi) - my basic knowledge tells me it should be possible to just replace the seal at a cost of under 800-1000... but need some more experienced advise please...

Thanks!
Old 13th December 2012, 14:38   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amankhanna76 View Post

Authorised dealership says the pinion has to be replaced at a cost of 9K (the issue being oil seal leakage which apparantly cant be changed independently without changing the entire pinion!)
You are quite right Aman, I think you can get the leak stopped by replacing the steering box seal kit. The pinion or any mechanical component would need replacement only in case there is excess play or rust etc;

you may also try stop leak if the leak is a minor one, by minor I mean 100 ml for 2 weeks. its fairly simple as it would only require adding some in your steering fluid reservoir and operate the steering full lock to lock a couple of times. the reason i mentioned stop leak is because while going for a seal kit replacement although the replacement kit would cost roughly 1000 or so the labor charge and time taken could be a pain.
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=9&loc=show

Last edited by msaudf : 13th December 2012 at 14:44. Reason: adding content
msaudf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 10:43   #86
BHPian

Thanks msaudf, this is very useful.

Is lucas stop leak available in India or available under a different name (given the tvs tieup in india?); couldnt find it at a couple of places i asked

Also any good local garages anyone would recommend in delhi (south) if i decide to have the seal kit changed?

Thanks
Old 20th January 2013, 11:55   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amankhanna76 View Post
Thanks msaudf, this is very useful.

Is lucas stop leak available in India or available under a different name (given the tvs tieup in india?); couldnt find it at a couple of places i asked

Also any good local garages anyone would recommend in delhi (south) if i decide to have the seal kit changed?

Thanks
Update on my steering leakage issue. Could not find Lucas stop leak and read some reviews that it will be a stop-gap solution anyway so decided to go to an FNG to avoid paying the bomb the Authorised Workshop was asking for (9K). Went to Imtiaz (recommended by some fellow bhp-ians) close to my house in GK2. Found him to be knowledgeable (if i had the rights, would have posted a review of Imtiaz's workshop in the existing thread on this topic) and dedicated. He changed the seal and its been 2 weeks since with no signs of any issues.

Advise for others facing same / similar issue: dont let the authorised dealerships take you for a ride (they wanted to change the pinion for an oil seal leakage, while Imtiaz changed the oil seal only (which the authorised dealership was not willing to do) for less about 1/3rd the price; use a well known reliable FNG instead. Cheers!
Old 21st January 2013, 07:41   #88
BHPian

Steering fluid (for hydraulic steering systems) change is recommended by most garages at 80,000 kms. This means a complete flush. While changing the fluid, it is essential that the steering be moved completely right & left, in turn. When most of the fluid is out, there is no assist & the steering feels rock-hard. However when the new fluid is topped up, the steering goes back to normal feel. The steering system may make some noise afterwards, due to trapped air bubbles in the system but that will soon disappear when you drive normally.
Old 27th February 2013, 13:58   #89
BHPian

Need help - Power Steering problem

I like to have your suggestions in the following problem I am facing:

The power steering is getting hard and while turning I gets a tick- tick noise. No oil leak.

Today morning I gone to HMP (Chennai) and the SA took the car to a ramp and did an inspection. He told the left boot (from rack) got cut and thereby the dust have gone inside the steering rack and getting jammed. He suggested to replace the rack which costs around 22K!

Now my options are as follows:

1. Replace the rack at Hyundai A.S.S. spending 22K, More or less, the problem will be rectified as they use genuine spare parts and got trained work force. Also they gives 1 year warranty. But I feel its a huge lump some for a car like Santro.

2. Service / overhaul the rack at a local workshop, which costs approximate 5K to 6K. But no guarantee of expert workforce, which sometimes results in compounded problems / rework / replacements. But I can save at least 15K, if my problem got resolved.

What is your opinion on the same? Anybody had similar issues with power steering? Anybody worked with any of the local garages in Chennai? If yes, kindly share the details. What about myTVS?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 27th February 2013, 16:57   #90
BHPian

Re: Need help - Power Steering problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil8089 View Post
I like to have your suggestions in the following problem I am facing:

The power steering is getting hard and while turning I gets a tick- tick noise. No oil leak.

Anybody worked with any of the local garages in Chennai? If yes, kindly share the details. What about myTVS?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/chenna...ghlight=ignite
anandtheleo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks