Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2008, 15:02   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
I recently had a fused bulb in one of my car's headlamps. I got it replaced. But now there's another issue. Since the time I have got the bulb replaced, the head lamp will accumulate moisture (water vapour) every time I wash. Once I got it checked at Tata service center and they told me that headlamp will have to be replaced. I cannot believe this because this issue started only after changing the bulb. Please advice.

Thanks.
Hi Akabaree,

I also had this problem when my bulb was replaed by the service guy. When I analysed, I undertsood that when they fixed the rubber boot behind the bulb, they fixed it upside down. That is, if you look at the rubber boot there are two air vents kind of tube. This has to come at the bottom as otherwise the water can seep in through this when they water service and then enter the sealed headlight.

So to remove the water, remove the rubber boot, bulb and blow compressed air and when you fix back the bulb and the rubber boot ensure that these vents are facing downwards.

Cheers!!
carlover98 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2008, 15:24   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
BTW, I have seen this moisture problem only with Hyundais.
Accents, Sonatas and Santros, and now as you put it Vernas.
Maybe the quality of their water-proof seals is inferior.

I had noticed it and written to Hyundai back in 1999-2000 when the Accent was just introduced in India. In fact, in 2000, I chose to buy a 16-valve DOHC Nexia instead of the 12-valve SOHC Accent, because of poor waterproofing in the demo car.

Have also seen the problem on some Indicas.

But never in my Premier Padmini, and certainly never in any Maruti of any vintage.

Palios! at least half of all the palios in my place(cochin) has this problem. for the record, even mine... I dont know if it is because of our heavy monsoon and perpetual humidity, but this problem is found mostly in fiat cars, and rarely i've seen this in hyundais.
Old 29th February 2008, 16:18   #33
Senior - BHPian

One decent stuff to clear the moist inside your headlamps go through this link, this can be done easily DIY

How to Remove Condensation or Moisture from headlamps - Club RSX Message Board
Old 29th February 2008, 16:37   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
One decent stuff to clear the moist inside your headlamps go through this link, this can be done easily DIY

How to Remove Condensation or Moisture from headlamps - Club RSX Message Board
Thats a decent stuff Raghu.
But I don't think it's a permanent stuff to remove the moisture. what It the moisture keeps on accumalating after every rain/wash ?
These silica gel packets one can also get when purchasing shoes. some companies do offer with these gel packets inside the shoe cover
Old 1st March 2008, 00:22   #35
BHPian

Araldite has been used for ages to refit Lamp Glasses, I did that on our Old Uno, NE when we changed them- It worked pretty well.

Silicon compound we are talking of is a sealent, not the one thats used to seal water leaks, its a hard advesive which comes in a Conical tube- I' can't seem to recollect the name, but its from the same makes and usage as the one used by Windscreen experts to reseal and fit a new windscreen. Talk about Stress on those things.

Araldite has been recorded for usage to seal rubber gaskets, I've seen it in most garages, to seal the Head when the Rubber gasket does not fit or bind well after a valve clearence is done and head is removed from Orignal fit.

I have sealed a crack in my fog lamp with Super glue and it works well, and ofcourse I've replaced the glass on my fog lamp with a new one - fixed it using araldite...and I use my Fog lamps always.
Old 2nd March 2008, 14:47   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlover98 View Post
Hi Akabaree,

I also had this problem when my bulb was replaed by the service guy. When I analysed, I undertsood that when they fixed the rubber boot behind the bulb, they fixed it upside down. That is, if you look at the rubber boot there are two air vents kind of tube. This has to come at the bottom as otherwise the water can seep in through this when they water service and then enter the sealed headlight.

So to remove the water, remove the rubber boot, bulb and blow compressed air and when you fix back the bulb and the rubber boot ensure that these vents are facing downwards.

Cheers!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
ref:

@akbaree:
If the metalized reflector has not yet gotten tarnished by the moisture, you may be able to save it yet.

Remove the headlamp, remove the bulb and let the sealed interior dry out completely. You can carefully use warm air from a hair-dryer for the purpose. Then replace the bulb.

Check the rubber gasket. Replace if worn. Otherwise use rubber-cement to seal the gap. The headlamp will not take in moisture again.

Note: There could also be a gap between the headlamp lens and reflector. If so, this can also be fixed with rubber-cement.

Ram

@carlover98 and @Ram

Thanks to both of you for your inputs.

@carlover98 - I did checked the vent and it was pointing upwards. I have changed it to point downwards. I would say, small things but big impact.

@Ram - There are no major signs of metal reflector getting tarnished but I believe I got this input just in time. Yesterday the low beam stopped working. When I opened it up today, I saw that the socket has been melted. I guess with the presence of moisture it got unduly heated. I have also noticed the headlamp has started losing its silver coating from behind. I am sure slowly this stress is going to show up in the headlamp's front area as well. But for now it looks okay.

I have left the rubber/plastic boot open for it to dry. Although the moisture has dried up in half an hour but I will keep it open till evening to let it completely dry up. The rubber seal looks okay so I am not applying any cement now but if the moisture re-appears, I will have to re-look at it.

Thanks again to both of you for your inputs
Anant
akbaree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2010, 13:45   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayz View Post
Had the same problem with our palio the service guys replaced some rubber washer which comes within the cap behind the headlamp and the problem was solved.

Please can you advise where will I get those ruber gasket for Palio adventure sports headlight?
Old 16th April 2010, 00:36   #38
Senior - BHPian

Advice to anybody trying to reseal their headlight.

Buy a 100 gm tube of RTV (Room Temp. Vulcanizing) Silicone Sealant - Dow Corning/Wacker/Momentive - It should cost Rs. 100 or so...

Apply a layer of sealant where the the glass meets the housing + any joints + any crack.

It will work fine.
Old 31st August 2010, 22:50   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
My Honda city's left side headlight always used to have water/moisture inside whenever i used to get a wash or when it rained ..
Took the headlights to shivajinagar gujri... The person opend the headlights after heating the panels, the white gum at the edges tend to melt a bit, now it's time to remove the headlight casings.
Now clean the headlghts. if posible get some wax coating done, coz it impoves the shining.
Apply white coloured gum(not fevicol.. I don't remember the name) to the joins.. put the casing on, heat it thru a drier, press it so that all the gaps are filled with gum.. that's it
Now no more moisture in my car since 3 months.
Money spent for this was 220Rs ( for one headlight)

Same car, same issue. Its an eye- sore every morning. Where in Mumbai can I get this fixed in the way mentioned in the quoted post ?
Old 10th September 2012, 20:02   #40
BANNED

New Brio Headlights Fogging

Hello everyone. I just purchased a new Brio VMT and got the delivery on the 6th of September. It is an April 2012 model.

On almost all occasions when it has rained, the headlight casing has fogged for both headlights. The service advisor at Solitaire Honda says it is normal and should clear up when the light is turned on.

Is it normal? And what should be the next steps?
Old 10th September 2012, 21:36   #41
BHPian

Re: New Brio Headlights Fogging

I think it is perfectly normal to have condensation inside your headlamp cover esp. during the monsoon season. If the condensation is no longer present a few hours after you've turned off the car, then rest assured your headlamps are in perfect condition.
Old 10th September 2012, 21:57   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin_Ice View Post
The service advisor at Solitaire Honda says it is normal and should clear up when the light is turned on.

IMO this is not normal. None of my cars had this problem and whenever I see a car with fogged headlamps, I tend to think they are not airtight due to some issues.
Old 10th September 2012, 22:02   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin_Ice View Post
On almost all occasions when it has rained, the headlight casing has fogged for both headlights. The service advisor at Solitaire Honda says it is normal and should clear up when the light is turned on.
This is definitely a quality issue and should never fog when rain. Pursue for a change as warranty !

Cheers!

Last edited by volkman10 : 10th September 2012 at 22:03.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 22:16   #44
Senior - BHPian

This is not normal, I don't see a logic behind the reason given to you. I haven't seen any car, Whose lights fog up in the rains or in Fog.

Force them to change it under Warranty, Indeed it's a quality issue.

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 10th September 2012, 22:21   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin_Ice
Hello everyone. I just purchased a new Brio VMT and got the delivery on the 6th of September. It is an April 2012 model.

If the headlamp housing is not fit properly, then moist air might get inside during monsoon that leads to the fog. It does clear when lights are turned on due to the heat produced, however, will come right back once it cools down.

You can check it yourself whether the lamp housing is snugly fit and no cracks or holes there (you can use the other lamp as reference if you aren't sure how it should look). Alternatively, you can take it to the service center and ask them to check it even if they say it's normal (and stay close so that you can see what they are doing).

The fog doesn't pose any problem on short term, but if present over long period would corrode the chrome on the reflector (will become dull).

EDIT: Ah, just noticed in OP, "fogged for both headlights". Forget you checking it yourself. Check with other Brio owners (just to ensure that's not a "feature", LOL - not that, you can use them as reference) and take it to the A.S.S and demand for replacement.

Last edited by GunMo : 10th September 2012 at 22:34.
GunMo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks