Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2006, 21:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

WagonR ECM spoilt: Urgent Help Needed

Hi Guys,

Need help ASAP -

The story goes like this.

Slightly less than 2 months back I gave my WagonR for Servicing to Maruti Service Masters (MSM) who worked on a couple of things including the Throttle Body.

About a week later I noticed that the car would suddenly jerk while driving as if the fuel supply had momentarily been stopped. Also, the engine would die during idling. The only reason I didn't notice this earlier was that I never really drove it (my Mom's car). Anyhow, partly because I'm lazy and majorly because my OHC was in repairs (so this was my backup) I didn't get an opportunity to take it back to MSM. I assumed it was a minor problem.

After keeping the car for 2 days and trying hard to identify the problem, they now claim that the ECM is damaged. A new one costs about Rs. 13,500 plus taxes.

My Claim to MSM:
  • I have consistently told them that the day following the delivery I went to Jaipur and have just returned. The car has ONLY done 900 kms in 2 months.
  • I am also claiming that in the follow-up call 4 days after delivery I told them the problem but no action was taken or suggested.
  • When I gave them the car they said they will not charge me if any related solution is detected.
What do I do now? Insurance? Fight? Escalate?

Paying 13k is not even an option I am considering. FYI, the car is a 2000 model and has done ~ 30,000 odd kms on the odo.

Regards,
Manveet.

Last edited by manveet : 4th December 2006 at 21:09.
Old 4th December 2006, 21:14   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Slightly less than 2 months back I gave my WagonR for Servicing to Maruti Service Masters (MSM) who worked on a couple of things including the Throttle Body.
What was/were the problem/s? What work on throttle body? Who detected the problem/s?
Why did it take a week time to see there's a problem? Unless, you haven't driven the car after you got it back...
Old 4th December 2006, 21:24   #3
BANNED

Hi,

I would suspect someone has swapped your ECM if that is the culprit. You can check with Maruti if the no on the ECU is the same as the one alotted to your car.

Viper
Old 4th December 2006, 21:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
What was/were the problem/s? What work on throttle body? Who detected the problem/s?
Rudra ji,
The throttle body was cleaned (throttle gasket was changed also i think) and spark plugs were also cleaned/repaired. Other work was unrelated - brakes etc. Like I mentioned - The exact problem i.e. ECM spoilt has been detected by MSM itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
Why did it take a week time to see there's a problem? Unless, you haven't driven the car after you got it back...
It took a week because this car is rarely driven. I noticed this problem only when I drove it after about a week of getting it back .. only upon my mentioning it to my mom did she confirm it. Infact that's how she is .. once she took to car to the market and back (5kms) on a completely flat front tire - comes back and complains that the steering has become very hard !!

Anyhow what to do now? Does the above info help at all?
Old 4th December 2006, 22:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
I would suspect someone has swapped your ECM if that is the culprit.
If it has been swapped, I would suspect MSM - although that seems unlikely considering their reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
You can check with Maruti if the no on the ECU is the same as the one alotted to your car.
Please elaborate - I am assuming that the ECU will have a S.No. on it .. what do I validate it against .. ? Will the corresponding no. be provided by MSM or is it written somewhere else on the car?

p.s. another thought - Is it possible to get an ECU from the after-market .. say from cars that have been totalled or the like.
Old 4th December 2006, 22:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

ecu swap...but in such a less time as 1service takes just about a day or so...i doubt that.
Old 4th December 2006, 22:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
ecu swap...but in such a less time as 1service takes just about a day or so...i doubt that.
I have no idea what you just said !!
Old 4th December 2006, 22:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet
another thought - Is it possible to get an ECU from the after-market .. say from cars that have been totalled or the like.
Excellent idea. Dont pay over 1/3rd of its market price.
Old 4th December 2006, 23:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi,
I would suspect someone has swapped your ECM if that is the culprit. You can check with Maruti if the no on the ECU is the same as the one alotted to your car.
Viper
I suspect the same. Lots of junk ECUs floating around after Mumbai flooding. Hopefully there is a link between VIN and ecu number. Also look for evidence that the ECU was removed. Take it to Maruti themselves.
Old 5th December 2006, 00:07   #10
aZa
Senior - BHPian

manveeteh, ECU/ECM in local market costs 3-5K. Sector 16 Zindabad, i was looking for a ECU route for tacho connection thats when they told me that ECUs for Maruti's and hyundais cost around 5K max

why not take a second opinion from another service center ?
Old 5th December 2006, 00:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Hopefully there is a link between VIN and ecu number.
Pardon my ignorance. What's VIN?

Offtopic - perhaps one of the more knowledgable folk can start a thread in the Advice section - on the varios nos. found in cars e.g. chassis no., engine no., etc. ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Also look for evidence that the ECU was removed.
Won't help. Because they mentioned that they replaced with another ECU and it worked fine but once they put the original back in - problem recurred. So signs of that wont indicate anything.
Old 5th December 2006, 00:33   #12
BHPian

try takin the car to another place and
inquire these guys about possible causes for such a damage because ecms usually dont get damaged easily

ecu swap could very much be a possibility
and an ecu swap doesnt take time
usually there are two or three multi pin connectors and that is all takes to swap the ecu , so do check ur original ecu no. if that is possible
Old 5th December 2006, 00:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa
Sector 16 Zindabad, i was looking for a ECU route for tacho connection thats when they told me that ECUs for Maruti's and hyundais cost around 5K max.
If you have the time can you please follow-up on that link .. my office has shifted to the other end of Noida now :( .. Thx buddy.

Meanwhile .. will get the car back from MSM if things don't work out there .. based on inputs from you guys .. I'm not planning an original replacement ..

Any other out-of-the-box suggestion .. Anyone?
Old 5th December 2006, 00:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance. What's VIN?
VIN - Vehicle Identification Number, each car has a unique number from the manufacturer itself for identification of parts that were installed in it including Engine, ECU etc.

Quote:
Offtopic - perhaps one of the more knowledgable folk can start a thread in the Advice section - on the varios nos. found in cars e.g. chassis no., engine no., etc. ?
Maybe one of us will sometime do a new thread.

Quote:
Won't help. Because they mentioned that they replaced with another ECU and it worked fine but once they put the original back in - problem recurred. So signs of that wont indicate anything.
If that is their diagnosis ask them to do this infront of you once. Ask them to change the ECU with another one & then test drive the car yourself to make sure that the problem is related to the ECU only. Do not take their word blindly for it. And make sure you supervise the removal of the old ECU & installation of the replacement properly. Stand on their head just to be sure they are not trying to dupe you.
Old 7th December 2006, 05:07   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
VIN - Vehicle Identification Number, each car has a unique number from the manufacturer itself for identification of parts that were installed in it including Engine, ECU etc.
Where is the VIN located ? Is it on the dashboard/driver's side door jamb stickers/title documents ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks