Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2018, 11:26   #1
BHPian

Nissan Terrano 110 PS - Loss of power issue

Guys have been driving Nissan Terrano 110 PS since more than 3 years and it used to run like charm.

From October 2017, I am facing some issues which are bothering me a lot!

When I used to drive the car, I started noticing the lose of power for a second or two from October, especially in 2nd and 3rd gear. The feeling was as if fuel supply was cut off for a brief second. After a few days, electric malfunction light came up for few seconds (and then went off) and I gave it you Surya Nissan. They promptly returned it saying that they did not find any error in diagnostic tool.

After a week, STOP ENGINE light came up for few seconds and again gave it to Surya Nissan. This time also they promptly returned it saying that they did not find any error in diagnostic tool.

There was no malfunction light anymore for 2 weeks. After that while driving in highway, STOP ENGINE light came up again which did not go off and after taking it to a local service station, it broke down completely and did not start. This time in the diagnostic tool, CYCLE 2 INJECTOR was shown as faulty.

The car was handed back to Surya Nissan and they confirmed the same error code. The fuel injector was replaced which cost a lot.

Now after the Car came back from the fuel injector replacement, I drove in peak traffic for around 40 KMS and again electric malfunction light came up. Actually, it came up 17 times by the time I reached home in a span of 10 KMs.

I again got the Car to Surya Nissan and they again mentioned that there is no error in diagnostic tool. I test drove with them in peak traffic and highway for quite a distance after that but no malfuction light came up. The fact is that they have done nothing after I gave the Car to them (except cleaning the fuel line) makes me nervous that the issue can come up again.

I am also not convinced that folks at Surya Nissan are competent and they just check for error code in diagnostic tool.

Could the experts here advice me regarding the issue and throw some light on the issue? Thanks a lot.
Old 11th January 2018, 11:40   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Nissan Terrano 110 PS - Loss of power issue

I am surprised that Nissan service centre couldn't find any "Error Code". It doesn't cost much to buy OBD reader (hardly Rs. 500). Please get it and check the fault codes on your own. I have seen many service centres who just blindly delete the error code and say everything is Normal.

Fuel injector issue is a known problem in this engine. Check this thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tor-issue.html

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 11th January 2018 at 11:43.
Dr.Naren is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 11:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Looks like issue similar to Duster 110.
sukiwa is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 12:11   #4
BHPian

This is a classic fuel injector failure which is well known to Duster owners. I have two diesel injectors replaced at around 35000 km. The symptoms were similar to yours.
Probably one or more injectors are faulty. The malfunction light is seen sometimes and then it goes away. After sometime, it will come on all the time.
You could try a Renault dealer in Bangalore, they seem to be able to handle this better.
Injectors are costly at about Rs 30000, but they are covered in the warranty/extended warranty.
SajiNSalin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 12:11   #5
BHPian

Any reason why you kept going back to Surya Nissan? Have you tried Shawar Nissan SC at Nandidurga road? They are quite competent and am sure will not disappoint you.

As regards the issue, what is the total mileage on the car? And when was it serviced the last time?
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 13:46   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Any reason why you kept going back to Surya Nissan? Have you tried Shawar Nissan SC at Nandidurga road? They are quite competent and am sure will not disappoint you.

As regards the issue, what is the total mileage on the car? And when was it serviced the last time?
Thanks for the feedback!

The Car is company maintained and they prefer Surya Nissan as it closer to my office and they pick the Car for service from my office. Since Surya Nissan replaced the fuel injector, which cost them 28K they keep taking back to them since they know the history. I will ask them to take it to Shawar Nissan.

Car is regularly serviced and the last service was in August 2017 and has run only 28,500 KMs.
Old 11th January 2018, 13:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acelerar View Post
Thanks for the feedback!

The Car is company maintained and they prefer Surya Nissan as it closer to my office and they pick the Car for service from my office. Since Surya Nissan replaced the fuel injector, which cost them 28K they keep taking back to them since they know the history. I will ask them to take it to Shawar Nissan.

Car is regularly serviced and the last service was in August 2017 and has run only 28,500 KMs.
Check, turbo vacuum modulator for proper function. This part is known to fail on VGT K9Ks.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 16:21   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I am surprised that Nissan service centre couldn't find any "Error Code". It doesn't cost much to buy OBD reader (hardly Rs. 500). Please get it and check the fault codes on your own. I have seen many service centres who just blindly delete the error code and say everything is Normal.
Some errors don't get logged in the ECU. So, unless you check it when its "lit" you won't find the error. (eg: most hardware errors like EGR, Injector etc.)
Quote:
I am also not convinced that folks at Surya Nissan are competent and they just check for error code in diagnostic tool.
Can't really blame the dealership. In some cases, you need to see the error to repair it. Otherwise, preventive maintenance will cost a bomb. So dealerships don't do it.
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 16:31   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Some errors don't get logged in the ECU. So, unless you check it when its "lit" you won't find the error. (eg: most hardware errors like EGR, Injector etc.)
If the error code can be logged when CEL is active, it should be shown on diagnosis even when CEL is not there. It will be stored under history. CEL will disappear if ECU doesn't detect that problem for few drive cycles and the error code would be in history.

There are few cases where there won't be even CEL. For example, the famous sudden power loss issue in 1.3 MJD 90 HP. In this case, no CEL and no error codes too.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 19:48   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback!

I will ask them to take it to Shawar Nissan.

Hi Acelerar,

Any update on this issue?
Old 21st March 2018, 14:08   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Hi Acelerar,

Any update on this issue?
It ran without any issue for 2 months after that. But I was not sure if I wanted to retain the car. I sold the it in CARS24 and now in market for a new SUV
Acelerar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2019, 12:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

My Terrano is at 69000km, about two months ago at around 62000 km I experienced sudden momentary power loss, it went away after a few minutes.
Few days later, the engine suddenly refused to rev up over 2000 rpm, When I up shifted to next gear, I had no issue, and as 2000 rpm translates to 95 I could complete my trip.
No warning lights lit up though. I then went to the service station and got a scan done, and it showed low rail pressure. After that the car ran well for a month and 4000 km.
Later the problem cropped up again, and the check engine light started, on trying to rev up beyond 2000 rpm the stop engine light also started coming up, but dropping rpm and idling for a few minutes it would go off.
I dropped the car to Landmark Nissan, and they said fuel is contaminated. They replaced the air filter and the diesel filter too, and returned car saying problem is resolved. They also want to check the clutch which is a bit hard, but has no slip even during load. While driving with scanner the car does show drop in rail pressure, but they insist on opening up the clutch, which I have refused.
I am absolutely dis satisfied with the Nissan diagnostics, and if there is any FNG in Pune who does Renault Nissan vehicles I will happily go there. Among my previous cars all Tata and Maruti cars were FNG maintained from the day the free services were over.
Old 18th July 2020, 23:38   #13

Hi Guys,
I would like to add to the aforesaid issues where I also started getting the Check Engine Light and the car won't take the power in second gear, it would not even cross the speedbreakers. I opened up the coil No. 2 and noticed that there was lot of oil on the Coil no. 2. I was sure that Coil No. 2 has the problem. Cleaned Coil No. 2 and replaced the same with the original "new coil" and also replaced the 4 spark plugs of the car with the high performance "spark plugs". Did the re-scanning and immediately "Check Engine light" went off and my car didn't lag at all or it didn't have anymore power loss issues. It became so smooth and felt like it has suddenly got so much power & pick up. Already driven it for almost 500Kms in the past 2 months. Please check all the four "Coils" and I suggest to replace the spark plugs with the high performance spark plugs (easily available at the spare parts shop).
Happy Motoring
shekharwig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 09:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

@shekharwig
We are discussing the 110BHP diesel here, and diesels do not have spark plugs.
Any way I got my problem resolved. Nissan does not supply child parts, and want's entire sub assemblies replaced.
The fact is that many parts are used by other car's and trucks and can be procured in the market and used, I could get my injectors and fuel pump serviced, using such parts. Injector solenoid's and coils are continental, and used in Bharat Benz trucks, and available for service.
Rahul Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 00:18   #15
BHPian

Hi,

I'm on the lookout for a used Terrano and a mint condition 110PS came up recently. Did a TD recently and found no power loss while driving and no injector noise. The car has ran 70k kms and the owner seems to be very genuine and agreed to check the car where ever I need it.

Going through these threads, I'm a little afraid to go for this, but the car and the deal is so tempting.

My question is, even if it is an injector issue, is there a way we can repair them? Or should i entirely stay out of this car?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks