Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2006, 18:15   #1

Query regarding my Swift

hi guys... just a question that I have. My swift is just a month old and the engine is absolutely silent when idling. Due to this a couple of times, thinking that its off, I went for the starter once again resulting in the cranking sound that you get when u do such a stupid thing. My question is "will this have harmed the engine in anyway...??" please do advise
Old 9th December 2006, 19:37   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

No harm if its not done too many time. Else the starter might die early. No harm to the engine itself
Old 9th December 2006, 22:19   #3
BHPian

Engine would survive.. worry about the starter.
Old 10th December 2006, 06:29   #4
BHPian

That happened to me atleast on few occasions in my ALTO. No harm caused to the starter and engine. But, one of my friend, who also happened to do this mistake on few occasions (in his ALTO), had to replace the starter motor gears.

It all depends on how long did you cranked and how many times it happened.
Old 10th December 2006, 07:12   #5
BHPian

Best way to avoid doing this by mistake is to look at the dashboard "engine check" and "oil" lights to verify if the engine is off. I don't rely on my ability to hear the engine. It will not hold good in the middle of the road when it is noisy.
Old 10th December 2006, 09:30   #6
aZa
Senior - BHPian

initially i also used to have this problem but now that i have a freeflow as soon as i crank up the engine everyone 5 blocks from my house knows my car has started lol.

Swift has a tacho so just gently tap the gas pedal when unsure if the tacho moves then u know u dont need to crank up
Old 10th December 2006, 21:53   #7
BHPian

RPM meter is your best bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathjeppu View Post
Best way to avoid doing this by mistake is to look at the dashboard "engine check" and "oil" lights to verify if the engine is off. I don't rely on my ability to hear the engine. It will not hold good in the middle of the road when it is noisy.
RPM guage is a better bet, I know many people using Toyotas employ this technique.

Didn't know swift would be so quiet, seems common with Toyota Camrys in USA.
Old 11th December 2006, 05:34   #8
BANNED

I'm also suffering from this problem when I'm driving new cars.

Does anyone has any work-around for this problem for a car which is not having a tachometer ?

Sadly.......a premium hatch like Swift doesn't have accidental anti-crank mechanism like Palio.

But passioncool74 there is tacho in your Swift, Right OR is it a Swift LXi ? Then why you are committing such imbecilities ???
Old 11th December 2006, 11:24   #9
BHPian

for your problem check the rpm gauge.
i agree with mithun
a swift should have had a accidental anit-crank mechanism.
Old 11th December 2006, 12:00   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by passioncool74 View Post
hi guys... just a question that I have. My swift is just a month old and the engine is absolutely silent when idling. Due to this a couple of times, thinking that its off, I went for the starter once again resulting in the cranking sound that you get when u do such a stupid thing. My question is "will this have harmed the engine in anyway...??" please do advise
Same here.... I had done this many times. Swift's dead silent cabin mislead me many time that I need to restart the vehicle. These days I look RPM meter before I start.
Old 11th December 2006, 12:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

Whenever you have a doubt like that.... turn off the ignition and restart the car.... hardly takes less than 10 seconds

Godfather

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks