Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2018, 21:01   #1
BHPian

Skoda Octavia: Turbo failure at 1.3 lakh km, dealer willing to replace it under warranty!

Hi, fellow BHPians,

We have heard enough stories about Octavia issues. Whenever I read one, I used to think, "Hope I never have to write something like this." And my wishes has come true....

I travel a lot, so my car has covered 1.31 lakh in 3 plus years. First two years was smooth like butter, I opted manual option because of the DSG issues. Then first it was ABS sensor issue, cluster light used to pop up, they changed it. Then it was coolant level dropping, found out that it was water pump issue. Then when it was about 90K, there was too much smoke and power loss issue, it's EGR now. They don't clean it, they replace it. I was like "In which world are you from?" All other manufacturers do clean EGR valve and if the problem persist, then they change it. Service guy told me, "Sir, we will change it under warranty." I said okay, also because due to some miracle, they had the part in stock, it was one day job.

I will try to keep it short and come to the problem I am facing now.

Recently I hear a different tone when turbo pools in, nothing weird, but I know it sound different now, I see increase in smoke, power loss, but in a very slight margin. I was thinking, ERG again....

But Skoda will never disappoint you, it's another hero named "TURBO". At least that's what they said. I don't want to point out the dealer name now, because so far their attitude and communication is satisfying. But, hey, no worries, "We will change it under warranty."

What am I to do? Should I get a second opinion from another dealer? Or go ahead with the replacement? I told them to wait for a week before ordering turbo, since I will be traveling and won't be in town for a week.

Even though the car has done about 1.3 lakh, I think it's too early for turbo issue for a well maintained car. I am a lightfoot guy. It never missed any service interval nor any issues overlooked. Really a well maintained car, may be I got unlucky.

Suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks
jonesanto is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 21:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Skoda Octavia: Turbo failure at 1.3 lakh km, dealer willing to replace it under warranty!

Skoda's warranty limit is 4 years and 1,00,000 kms (whichever is earlier) - so you are one lucky guy.

If you've done 1.31 lakhs kms and they are still offering to change your turbo under warranty, you've got a great dealer.

So get it done ASAP before they change their mind.
AMG Power is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 21:40   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Skoda Octavia: Turbo failure at 1.3 lakh km, dealer willing to replace it under warranty!

Frankly, they have changed expensive components under warranty and are now offering a goodwill (?) replacement for a 131k km turbo! Take up their offer immediately in my opinion.

A turbo is a relatively plug and play component in most cars, and they will hopefully not have the scope to mess anything else up.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 21:50   #4
BHPian

Thanks, guys,

You got it right, "goodwill" it is. I know the service manager and he knows even for a nut and bolt job, I go to them only. So he said, will change it under goodwill.

I will call him first thing tomorrow and order the turbo. Also made up my mind about selling the car as soon as possible.
Old 8th February 2018, 22:07   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

My cousin's Octavia 1.8 TSI had the same problem and he had to pay for the replacement turbo. Cost of replacement was about Rs 1.2L IIRC but he had the work done at a FNG for about 80K.

If you're getting a free part under goodwill warranty just get it done before someone at Skoda or the ASC changes his/her mind.

Last edited by R2D2 : 8th February 2018 at 22:08.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 22:10   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Frankly, they have changed expensive components under warranty and are now offering a goodwill (?) replacement for a 131k km turbo! Take up their offer immediately in my opinion.

A turbo is a relatively plug and play component in most cars, and they will hopefully not have the scope to mess anything else up.
I was thinking I am the unlucky guy, turns out I am the "lucky one."

We heard stories before buying Skoda, we still went ahead and bought it, reason why? They are so good when they're performing well. Put a smile on your face

Now that I am not smiling so much, I will take a break from Skoda.

Will I buy another Skoda gain? Maybe I will.

Thanks again...
Old 9th February 2018, 10:06   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Octavia: Turbo failure at 1.3 lakh km, dealer willing to replace it under warranty!

Always nice to read a positive Skoda experience . It's a great gesture from the dealer & Skoda to willingly replace your turbo under warranty, even though you're out of warranty. Car owners normally have to fight for something like this; frankly, I wouldn't even have expected them to cover it for free.

Hope you've been following the turbo-idling rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesanto View Post
I don't want to point out the dealer name now
You MUST! Not only because it's a good dealer, but also because we generally discourage providing half information on Team-BHP.

Quote:
Will I buy another Skoda gain? Maybe I will.
Hahaha! With a dealer like that, why not? You are lucky.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 10:22   #8
BHPian

Merged back-to-back posts.

Quote:
You MUST! Not only because it's a good dealer, but also because we generally discourage providing half information on Team-BHP.

Hahaha! With a dealer like that, why not? You are lucky.
Hi, GTO

The dealer is Vinayak Cars, I think they are trying hard to change Skoda's ill famed service.

Quote:
Always nice to read a positive Skoda experience .
I would not say it was a positive experience, as you can see, in one years time, I had so many issues, sensor, EGR, water pump, now turbo.... it's too early to start so many issues and it terrifies me what will happen if I am to keep the car for one more year.

And yes, only good thing was, dealer was ready to change all the major parts under warranty. Yet, so time consuming and frustrating experience, we do have better things to do with our time other than keep visiting service centers.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 9th February 2018 at 10:40.
jonesanto is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2018, 16:00   #9
BHPian

Re: Merged back-to-back posts.

Quote:
Hi, GTO

The dealer is Vinayak Cars, I think they are trying hard to change Skoda's ill famed service.
The same dealer who sold fake Rapid ‘Black Edition’. Here is the link to the thread.

Maybe it is face-saving period for them.

Last edited by Scorpion 10 : 14th February 2018 at 16:13.
Old 14th February 2018, 16:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia: Turbo failure at 1.3 lakh km, dealer willing to replace it under warranty!

You are lucky ! Just go ahead and get it replaced. You never know when it would fail and god forbid if it's before you sell the car you may have to shell out 1.2L like someone mentioned.

Skoda is making progress which is great news. I personally love their cars but am too paranoid to buy one. If they keep on going like this, my next car would be a Skoda maybe.
Old 14th February 2018, 17:08   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion 10 View Post
The same dealer who sold fake Rapid ‘Black Edition’. Here is the link to the thread.

Maybe it is face-saving period for them.
Wow, I did not know about this, it sure is "Face-Saving" time then. Nothing was easy with the service, always have to fight, maybe they offered the replacement because they know for sure I was gonna fight for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
You are lucky ! Just go ahead and get it replaced. You never know when it would fail and god forbid if it's before you sell the car you may have to shell out 1.2L like someone mentioned.

Skoda is making progress which is great news. I personally love their cars but am too paranoid to buy one. If they keep on going like this, my next car would be a Skoda maybe.
Order has been placed and waiting for it to arrive. Will get it done as soon as possible before they change their mind.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks