Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2006, 18:11   #1
BANNED

How to reduce humming noise of freeflow Airfilter

Have installed K&N extereme free flow airfilter without freeflow exhaust in my Lancer Diesel (2003) .... the engine noise has become heavier (sounds good) but once the RPM crosses 3000 the humming noise is unbearable .... can anyone suggest how to decrese that noise.... FE has gone upto 18KMPL in city & sluggishness has gone , so not deciding to switch back to stock filter ...
Old 17th December 2006, 21:57   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivia View Post
Have installed K&N extereme free flow airfilter without freeflow exhaust in my Lancer Diesel (2003) .... the engine noise has become heavier (sounds good) but once the RPM crosses 3000 the humming noise is unbearable .... can anyone suggest how to decrese that noise.... FE has gone upto 18KMPL in city & sluggishness has gone , so not deciding to switch back to stock filter ...
The humming sound that you've mentioned also manifests itself as a hissing sound in many cars. This sound is that of the filter shedding excess air especially when the engine gets switched off. My guess is that there's some resonance happening in your engine thats causing the humming sound. Its not from the filter alone. Having said that nothing can be done abt the sound without affecting the filter's performance
Old 17th December 2006, 23:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

I had the same problem when i used a conical filter in my diesel sumo.
And Steeroid faced it when he used a conical K&N in his Dicor.
It does get on the nerves after sometime.
OT:Is there any improvement from the filter on the Diesel lancer?
Old 18th December 2006, 20:30   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I had the same problem when i used a conical filter in my diesel sumo.
And Steeroid faced it when he used a conical K&N in his Dicor.
It does get on the nerves after sometime.
OT:Is there any improvement from the filter on the Diesel lancer?

The power has increased & so does the fuel efficiency ....... Petrol prices reaching sky high , hv stopped using my Lancer petrol & esteem
Old 18th December 2006, 20:34   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
The humming sound that you've mentioned also manifests itself as a hissing sound in many cars. This sound is that of the filter shedding excess air especially when the engine gets switched off. My guess is that there's some resonance happening in your engine thats causing the humming sound. Its not from the filter alone. Having said that nothing can be done abt the sound without affecting the filter's performance
There is no humming sound when car runs on stock filter ..... will making a Scoop (HOOD) on the bonut for the flow of the air solve this problem ..... pls suggest
Old 14th July 2009, 14:30   #6
BHPian

Hi,

I am also planing to install a K&N filter for my lancer Diesel(2004) Can you please tell me the model no and cost of the filter thet you installed ??
Old 15th July 2009, 07:47   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivia View Post
There is no humming sound when car runs on stock filter ..... will making a Scoop (HOOD) on the bonut for the flow of the air solve this problem ..... pls suggest
My dear man, DO NOT make that hood scoop! In the monsoons you will end up getting a VERY WET filter. THAT is not good for your engine or wallet!

The filter is not making that hissing/ humming sound due to restriction of air-flow. That is induction noise. Either you live with it or try some rubber air pipes behind the filter to reduce the humming. This will help absorb some of the induction noise.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks