Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2018, 15:39   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Tata goof up! Same remote unlocks 2 (or more?) Tiagos

Thanks to Dr. Mayur Nath Reddy for sending this in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page! Dr. Reddy has written to Tata Motors and is awaiting a response. My concern is, are there any more Tiagos that the remote can unlock? Worse still, how many other remotes are out there that can unlock multiple cars?

Self-explanatory video:

Rushlane.com Article
Quote:
Mayur Nath Reddy’s Facebook post read as follows – ‘Its a security concern with the Tiago that I wanted to share here. I found out that my Tiago can open up with the remote of another car!!!'

Both Tata Tiago hatchbacks have been delivered by KHT Motors, and are sequential in the Serial Chassis no. (70195 and 70196).

...the matter has only come to light as both car owners live in close proximity. He parks his car once in a week at least to have food at a nearby eatery, next to the entrance of Mayur’s building, and both cars happened to be parked closeby on the day. With both cars getting activated, Mayur was alerted, and the ensuing video was filmed.
Also, here's an article by wheelbhp.com.
GTO is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 15:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata goof up! Same remote unlocks 2 (or more?) Tiagos

Wow! It would be very interesting to see Tata's response to this gaffe. I am hoping that this is a freak, isolated incident, rather than a security design flaw that affects a larger population of their vehicles. :(
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 16:07   #3
BHPian

Related Post:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...eview-129.html

Video:

Last edited by Prathiiik : 1st May 2018 at 16:10.
Prathiiik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 16:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

Recently I spotted a blue Nexon at a signal whose right side led tail lamp was randomly flickering. That coupled with this video is making me quite nervous about buying a Tiago XZA which I otherwise found to be a very brilliant car. Is Tata's level of quality control actually improving or is it simply new design and features which is making Tata fans say so?
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 16:57   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I remember, back in the days of remoteless-entry...

A friend and I were going out one day. I asked him to start putting some things in my car ("The white fiesta outside") and gave him the key. When I went outside, I was puzzled to know where the bags were. Answer: in my neighbour's car! The same key unlocked both. In those days, car thieves knew they could access many cars with a relatively small collection of keys.

This is the first time I heard of it happening with remote locking, although there are known hacking methods of bypassing these locks.

The wheelbhp article seems hoplessly confused between keyless and remote. What we see in the video is clearly remote, right?

The biggest joke of car security is that, however sophisticated the electronics become, cars can still be entered easily using much the same tools as mechanics and thieves used half a century ago.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 16:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My concern is, are there any more Tiagos that the remote can unlock? Worse still, how many other remotes are out there that can unlock multiple cars?
Don't know about master remotes that can unlock multiple Tiagos as such, but I came across a video claiming to be able to manipulate remote locks of cars from different manufacturers. I have posted it here.
Old 1st May 2018, 17:03   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

A friend and I were going out one day. I asked him to start putting some things in my car ("The white fiesta outside") and gave him the key. When I went outside, I was puzzled to know where the bags were. Answer: in my neighbour's car! The same key unlocked both. In those days, car thieves knew they could access many cars with a relatively small collection of keys.

The biggest joke of car security is that, however sophisticated the electronics become, cars can still be entered easily using much the same tools as mechanics and thieves used half a century ago.
There is a joke about the earlier Ford "dagger" keys being interchangeable

As for keyless cars, the best advice being dished out to the owners of these vulnerable cars are to fit a Disklok - a physical lock to the steering wheel. It will take 30 min and a lot of noise to break and no thief has the luxury of time

Last edited by ajmat : 1st May 2018 at 17:05.
ajmat is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 17:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
...a physical lock to the steering wheel. It will take 30 min and a lot of noise to break and no thief has the luxury of time
It isn't always about a thief driving away with the car itself that is the primary concern. An insecure remote locking system can lead to loss of items left inside the car - car documents, electronic gadgets, aftermarket fittings, petty cash etc. Even if we argue that one must not keep anything expensive or important inside a parked car, the very fact that someone can somehow open the doors of your car without much trouble or effort is itself disconcerting.
dailydriver is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 18:22   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
It isn't always about a thief driving away with the car itself that is the primary concern. An insecure remote locking system can lead to loss of items left inside the car - car documents, electronic gadgets, aftermarket fittings, petty cash etc. Even if we argue that one must not keep anything expensive or important inside a parked car, the very fact that someone can somehow open the doors of your car without much trouble or effort is itself disconcerting.
I agree with you -what I was trying to say is that newer electronics provide more vulnerabilities. Sometimes old fashioned physical barriers work the best!
ajmat is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 19:08   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks to Dr. Mayur Nath Reddy
We can see both the cars in the camera frame but what about both remotes? Only one is seen in the frame. It must be shown clearly how inspite of other remote being untouched, both the cars are getting locked/unlocked.

Also the last time he does it in the video, the left car blinks four times and the right one only two times. Understandably, the unlock button was pressed twice but if it's the case then the right car should have also blinked four times.

My doubt could be totally inappropriate but If the concerned person make another video with both the remotes in sight then it will be great.
Sherlocked is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 19:48   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
We can see both the cars in the camera frame but what about both remotes? Only one is seen in the frame. It must be shown clearly how inspite of other remote being untouched, both the cars are getting locked/unlocked.

Also the last time he does it in the video, the left car blinks four times and the right one only two times. Understandably, the unlock button was pressed twice but if it's the case then the right car should have also blinked four times.

My doubt could be totally inappropriate but If the concerned person make another video with both the remotes in sight then it will be great.
Isn't he holding both remote in each of his hands?

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 22:18   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Isn't he holding both remote in each of his hands?
Nope: he's holding one in each hand!

Sorry, couldn't resist that: do excuse! And yes, you are absolutely right: he is holding, and demonstrating, both remotes. In fact I wondered how each owner would get the right one back, until I noticed that at least one is attached to a distinctive key chain.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 23:53   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

I remember reading an instance where the remote key of a MS Dzire unlocked another MS car, probably a WagonR or something. I can’t find that post now but there were a few instances few years ago.

Could it be similar frequencies to which the receivers respond and some tolerance levels in place which allows it to respond to the next nearest frequency?
Old 2nd May 2018, 02:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Is Tata's level of quality control actually improving or is it simply new design and features which is making Tata fans say so?
I am no TATA fan. Having driven the Tiago and Zest, I must say that the cars they build today are a marked improvement over what they used to make a decade ago. I'd go to the extent of saying that the material quality on the inside surpass some other cars at similar price points. The usual QC can suffer from time to time (like the blinking led tail lamp. Probably a loose connector). I've not heard anyone say, "I regret buying a TATA" in a long long time.
sandeepmohan is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 09:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

Just wondering, has the person who reported this issue (Dr. Mayur Nath Reddy) taken his car to an authorized service centre to get it resolved yet? If not, then IMO he should do that pronto, at least to reduce the probability of theft of items kept in the car (if not the car itself).

Only writing to Tata Motors isn't going to help unless some technician actually works on this problem and fixes it. Odds are TML is also going to recommend the same thing to him anyway, so that they can investigate how & why issue occurred.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks