Team-BHP - BMW 3-Series (E90) - Completely switches off on the move!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   BMW 3-Series (E90) - Completely switches off on the move! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/198638-bmw-3-series-e90-completely-switches-off-move.html)

Couldn't help but decided to post it here as I too skipped a dangerous experience not only once but 3 times in the last 48 hours, not with a JLR but with a brand I'm using since almost teenage and what is my first love - BMW!

So I happened to have bought this E90 a while back as I had always dreamt of owning one. Car worked fine for a fortnight but in the last 48 hours not one, not two but on three separate occasions while doing speeds between 50-100 kph the car lost all its electrical, the speedo needle stucked at the speed at which the car lost its electrical power and boom the steerings got jammed too! First time it was in the middle of the city at a crowded street so called the mechanic and he tried to jump start from the positive terminal using a battery + different car - both failed. It was then the car was taken on flatbed to a local workshop that does work on premium cars and rear seats were removed and he just removed the battery positive terminal, wiped it and reinstalled and the car got back to life. However he also mentioned some fuse that according to him had blown and he replaced but not sure on this...Said it wasn't anything major and there was some carbon deposit on the battery connection and the fuse issue and advised me to continue without any issue.
BMW 3-Series (E90) - Completely switches off on the move!-whatsapp-image-20180518-17.55.55.jpeg

BMW 3-Series (E90) - Completely switches off on the move!-whatsapp-image-20180518-17.56.31.jpeg

BMW 3-Series (E90) - Completely switches off on the move!-whatsapp-image-20180518-19.56.55.jpeg
Worked fine for the next few hours and 50 kms or so but again during an outstation trip nearby on the highway at 100 kph again same thing happened and missed a near mishap as suddenly the car lost all the power and steering was jammed completely. Was lucky enough to find a local mechanic who followed my instruction and did the same thing that was done that is removing the battery connection and reputting it and it immediately started. (Note: No jump start happens when the power is lost, neither is there power to open the boot). Left the trip, decided to return back home and this time didn't close the boot completely as just in case. 40-45 kms later same thing happened and within half a minute it got fine when the battery terminal was disconnected and reconnected. What are you guys' take on this? Changing the battery tomorrow but seems like a bigger problem...Alas, first pre-owned came with plethora of problems.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 (Post 4403002)
What are you guys' take on this?

BMW have not recalled cars in the Asian region for this problem but I suspect there is a spill over of these issues to some cars here.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-44050686

Might be worth bringing this to the attention of BMW. This problem was first reported back in 2016.

AdiSinghV12, that's a serious problem. Am moving your post to a new thread. Hope it's solved soon.

Adi,

Looks the previous owner has not kept the car in proper shape going by the pictures. Do get a complete checkup.

Also, this is absolutely not a correct way to jump start any vehicle, car batteries carry very high currents and can result in some serious injuries if the terminals are held by hand besides I doubt full current will pass when someone is holding the battery instead of bolts or the clamps.

1) Check if the car has had any tampering or modifications to the main wiring. Jump the battery at the terminals with a proper Jump cable
2) Next would be to identify if this is a flood affected car (Interior smell, water/dirt trace
marks).
3) Behind the glove box in the Front fuse module which has a main battery supply, confirm if this wire is intact and in good condition. Advisable to get it done at a good trust worthy place.
4) Try to get the history and service maintenance details from the local dealer.

Getting a used BMW from a local dealer without a background check is a risky deal.

Related story in another UK website:
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/i...ectrical-issue

Quoting from the article:

Quote:

The UK’s Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) has accused BMW of providing false information of a critical electrical issue in its cars that has recently been linked to a fatal road accident.

The DVSA told Autocar the German car maker knew of 19 cases for an issue that can render a car completely powerless back in 2014, but that it provided “incorrect information” that prevented “an informed decision” from being made to avoid a serious accident.

The issue came to light during an investigation by the DVSA and a subsequent investigation by the BBC’s Watchdog. It is now known that close to 312,000 models, including 1 Series, 3 Series, Z4 and X1 petrol and diesel models produced between March 2007 and September 2011, are affected in Britain.

BMW says the problem stems from a "design of wiring configuration that means vehicle vibrations could potentially cause frictional corrosion on the plug of the power distributor". That means a vehicle's battery could lose connection to the fuse box, cutting out the engine and leaving the driver unable to switch on the brake or hazard lights.

Hi AdiSinghV12,

Congrats on the e90 but am also Sorry to hear about this nightmare of yours.

Also i believe your's is a e90 320d Corporate Edition, it has hydraulic power steering right & not an EPS. Even if the car stalls it should work right ?

Hope you manage to escalate this issue with BMW India & they offer you full support to give you a trouble free experience :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by karan561 (Post 4403213)
Hi AdiSinghV12,

Hope you manage to escalate this issue with BMW India & they offer you full support to give you a trouble free experience :thumbs up

Hi Karan, If there is no record of maintenance and the car has been worked on locally, BMW will not support the case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 (Post 4403002)
Worked fine for the next few hours and 50 kms or so but again during an outstation trip nearby on the highway at 100 kph again same thing happened and missed a near mishap as suddenly the car lost all the power and steering was jammed completely. W...Alas, first pre-owned came with plethora of problems.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandeepmohan (Post 4403020)
BMW have not recalled cars in the Asian region for this problem but I suspect there is a spill over of these issues to some cars here.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-44050686

Might be worth bringing this to the attention of BMW. This problem was first reported back in 2016.

Seems like the issues mentioned here; the one posted by sandeepmohan above.
One of my relative works in BMW North America, and when I asked him about the problem, he was quick to point out that power supply cable to fuse box was an issue. He himself had E90 3-series and never faced any issue; he later on got F25 X3. A few cars in N.A. market did face this electrical fault and have been rectified.
There seems to be a high probability that your cars is suffering from this issue for which cars have been recalled.

Quote:

Also i believe your's is a e90 320d Corporate Edition, it has hydraulic power steering right & not an EPS. Even if the car stalls it should work right ?

If the engine stalls, the power steering hydraulic pump also stops and the sudden loss of power assistance can feel like the steering is jammed. Same goes for the brakes. Diesel cars have a vacuum pump driven by the engine, so stalled engine does mean loss of brakes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbanator (Post 4403207)
Adi,

Looks the previous owner has not kept the car in proper shape going by the pictures. Do get a complete checkup.

Also, this is absolutely not a correct way to jump start any vehicle, car batteries carry very high currents and can result in some serious injuries if the terminals are held by hand besides I doubt full current will pass when someone is holding the battery instead of bolts or the clamps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick5490 (Post 4403210)
1) Check if the car has had any tampering or modifications to the main wiring. Jump the battery at the terminals with a proper Jump cable
2) Next would be to identify if this is a flood affected car (Interior smell, water/dirt trace
marks).
3) Behind the glove box in the Front fuse module which has a main battery supply, confirm if this wire is intact and in good condition. Advisable to get it done at a good trust worthy place.
4) Try to get the history and service maintenance details from the local dealer.

Getting a used BMW from a local dealer without a background check is a risky deal.

Thanks guys, took out the service history of this from BMW and according to them it only had regular maintenance and even the previous owner of this turns out to be an acquaintance / enthusiast so I have been mostly aware of his usage and recently before I picked it he happened to drive the car in 'regular rains' and the car gave some steering issues after which it was replaced at BMW dealership and service was carried out. This was like a month back and it drove like thousand kms post this. Before I took the delivery I asked him to get "AC service" done locally and get cabin filter changed and it was done a fortnight ago. Post that it worked fine with me too for the next two weeks or so before this issue popped up.

Quote:

Hi AdiSinghV12,

Congrats on the e90 but am also Sorry to hear about this nightmare of yours.

Thanks brother :) Yeah, its a corporate but 2012 so doesn't have the pure hydraulic steering - Except brakes everything gets jammed :deadhorse
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaggoswami (Post 4403224)
Seems like the issues mentioned here; the one posted by sandeepmohan above.
One of my relative works in BMW North America, and when I asked him about the problem, he was quick to point out that power supply cable to fuse box was an issue. He himself had E90 3-series and never faced any issue; he later on got F25 X3. A few cars in N.A. market did face this electrical fault and have been rectified.
There seems to be a high probability that your cars is suffering from this issue for which cars have been recalled.

Thanks for letting me know :) So the power supply cable was changed in the cases it caused problem ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motard_Blr (Post 4403241)
If the engine stalls, the power steering hydraulic pump also stops and the sudden loss of power assistance can feel like the steering is jammed. Same goes for the brakes. Diesel cars have a vacuum pump driven by the engine, so stalled engine does mean loss of brakes.

Except brakes (knock on the wood lol) everything seems to get jammed. Its just the brakes and @Karan561 who saves the day asks to "die another day"

Congratulations on your e90 Adi. Unfortunately there are tons of cheap e90s with little or no service history in second hand market. It is important to look at lineage when buying a 2nd hand premium car. I hope that your problem gets sorted out soon, so that you can enjoy your e90, a real gem of BMW stable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 (Post 4403260)
Thanks for letting me know :) So the power supply cable was changed in the cases it caused problem ?

I asked the same, here is the reply.

Quote:

The batteries are located in the trunk and the fuse box by the glove box. They have a patch for positive side of the battery but need to inspect the entire cable. If found faulty by the fuse box connection then the entire cable from front to back gets replaced otherwise just the patch will be replaced by the positive terminal of the battery

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbanator (Post 4403207)

Sir, current will not pass through his body, because the hands and the jumping wires are in a parallel configuration and current travels through the path of the least resistance while the human skin is very resistive. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 (Post 4403260)
Thanks brother :) Yeah, its a corporate but 2012 so doesn't have the pure hydraulic steering - Except brakes everything gets jammed :deadhorse

This is a critical vulnerability of the Electric Power Steering system vis-à-vis the Hydraulic setup. Not being able to steer could be extremely risky.