Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2021, 11:40   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Measuring the actual boot capacity of your car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Ok so I went back and measured the Boot of the Hyundai Creta 2020 today and here are the results. The usable space of the Hyundai Creta 2020 is even less than the Kia Seltos.
so Total boot space is : 274L
Wow - this quite a revelation! That means the 2020 Creta has a boot that is hardly 5% bigger than that of the Ignis! -> (Measuring the actual boot capacity of your car)

Quote:
They have simply deleted the boot space spec - seems that they have realized that reporting a wrong value is incorrect. Of course dealerships will continue to feed the wrong info and it is upto the discerning buyers to actually know the reality.
If they advertised it as even a 300 L boot, this point would get highlighted when people compare with the Seltos. So possibly until they correct things on the Kia side, they will just hide it.

Also, how do you recommend we measure the boot for a sedan? Just curious to see if the claimed 500L sizes of the Sedans match or if there is any exaggeration there as well.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 12:07   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Wow - this quite a revelation! That means the 2020 Creta has a boot that is hardly 5% bigger than that of the Ignis! -> (Measuring the actual boot capacity of your car)

If they advertised it as even a 300 L boot, this point would get highlighted when people compare with the Seltos. So possibly until they correct things on the Kia side, they will just hide it.

Also, how do you recommend we measure the boot for a sedan? Just curious to see if the claimed 500L sizes of the Sedans match or if there is any exaggeration there as well.
Yes that's correct and you can practically see the boot space if you test it with actual luggage.

In case of sedans the boot space is much better and more usable as almost all of them have a proper spare wheel recess in which the spare wheel sits and there is no space wastage around the tyre. In my opening post, I shared the measurements for my Skoda Laura too and that is where whole revelation happened that it is the Suv segment which is misreporting boot space specs. But ironically even with different models of the same manufacturer, boot space claims are not consistent. For example the Kia Sonet (which has a proper wheel recess) has a much bigger usable boot space (360+) compared to the Kia Seltos (320). Same is the case with Hyundai Venue vs Hyundai Creta. Maybe Arai / Asci needs to step in and enforce a uniform measurement standard
Old 27th May 2021, 21:23   #48

Coincidentally yesterday i was just thinking how the boot spaces are calculated and how effective it is in reality, and i see this post today.
Kudos to Behemoth for starting this thread.
I also believe stacking up the luggage's in the boot space is an art itself . I wonder sometimes how some are able to squeeze in so much luggage whereas i struggle to do it.
JaiHanuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 01:55   #49
BHPian

I usually measure and note it down in pictures. This usually happens if I want to haul longer/bigger stuff. I will save the pictures in my dropbox for future reference. My current model 3 and past i10.

Measuring the actual boot capacity of your car-kofferraum.jpeg

Measuring the actual boot capacity of your car-kofferraum_i10.jpg
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 19:35   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post

I have an Ignis, and my Father-in-law happens to have a Creta.
Trust me on this, the Creta's boot is way larger than the Ignis's.

I am speaking from practical experience, and not from mathematical point of view.

When the situation arises (i.e. airport hauls, luggage hauls, wedding shopping hauls), just do not hesitate to remove the parcel tray.
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 10:12   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Measured the actual usable boot space of our new Hector Plus (with third row of seats folded down) and here are the results. I have measured the height of available boot space only till black trim in interior which is till when we can stack luggage without obstructing the rear view.
Measuring the actual boot capacity of your car-img_20211224_100113__01__01.jpg

The available calculated space by my method (in this case I have considered two stacked trapezoids (one over the other) to do the calculation and the space comes out as:

((100+90)/2 x 100 x 20)/1000 + ((80+90)/2 x 125 x 29 )/ 1000 = 120L +308L + 30L (niches on left and right)= 458 L of available boot space without obstructing any rear view. The company claimed is around 530L (IIRC) so there is some space wasted below the tray (where toolkit and subwoofer are mounted) which are counted in the boot space. But the good thing is that since the space wheel is mounted outside below the car, that is not included in the boot space quoted by company.

The measured height till the roof in the boot is 64cm so for people with dogs (like me) that is the available space for the dog to stand. My dog's height is currently 21 inches at nape and 24 inches at head (around 61 cm at head) so he will be able to stand comfortably. For people with larger dogs it may be a problem though.

Last edited by Behemoth : 24th December 2021 at 10:17.
Behemoth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 11:53   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

One correction to my Hector plus boot space measurements as shared above. The height till ceiling as measured is 84cm (not 64cm) I went and measured it again
Now it is more logical as even I was wondering how much headroom a passenger would have if the space is only 64cm.

Here is the corrected diagram
Measuring the actual boot capacity of your car-img_20211228_115014__01.jpg
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 08:02   #53
BHPian

Is it possible to include the XUV700. I have always found the third-row seat to intrude on the boot space.
Old 6th October 2022, 14:54   #54
BHPian

Quote:
You ask me where all the boot space went? Well a lot of it is wasted under the boot floor and cannot be used. Hyundai is counting all the space in their quoted boot space numbers and also the spare wheel. Notice how shallow the spare wheel recess is and the entire spare wheel is sticking out. (Zoom in to see)
The remaining space around the wheel is usable only for small nick nacks and can never be used for luggage. (Not even a laptop bag will fit)
Hi I have recently calculated Grand Vitara boot space and found it to be more than current creta model. But while examining it with eyes it seems creta has bigger boot. Just confirming the diagram that you have created is for the current creta that is available in India.

Grand Vitara 2022 Mild Hybrid boot

It's coming around 342 litres
Attached Thumbnails
Measuring the actual boot capacity of your car-img_20221002_080712.jpg  

AnujKapur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 14:05   #55
BHPian

TATA Nexon 2022 Petrol / Diesel has following dimensions of the boot ( Approximation ) :
Width - 99.06 CM
Length( Floor ) - 71.12 CM
Length( Parcel Tray ) - 43.18 CM
Height or Depth - 55.88

Total measured capacity = (((71.12 + 43.18)/2)* 99.06 * 55.88 ) / 1000 = 316.35 L

Note - This does not include the small pockets that we get behind wheel wells. So I think it will be as per marketed if calculated properly.
AnujKapur is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks