Team-BHP - Are you happy with your OEM headlights?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Are you happy with your OEM headlights? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/202542-you-happy-your-oem-headlights-10.html)

Not at all. I previously owned a Tata Indica Vista and was so happy with the lights. While driving I used to get amazed by the Projector headlights about how cool they look. Now, I own the Tata Nexon XZ+ which has Projectors for Low beams and I think I was so wrong that they only look fancy however not practical especially with a 55w bulb. With my Vista I never felt the need of driving on high beam however this is not the case with Nexon. The low beams are inadequate and goes from bad to worse during rains. I am planning to upgrade to a higher wattage bulb soon for low beams.

Voted No

I own a 2017 model Suzuki Baleno Delta and the headlights are very poor.

Voted No.

The Projector headlight setup was one of the flagship features on my Ciaz which was retailed in 2016. However this flagship feature in real world turned to be a mere on-paper warrior.

The halogens threw a beam of feeble intensity which was of no considerable visual aid to the driver but instead they seem to test the driver’s low light vision, while driving. They were mediocre to say the least. Within a year of usage, their novelty value faded against practicality and stood like sore thumb taking away all pleasures of night driving. :Frustrati

The low beam on the 8th gen Civic was always inadequate. The high beam was pretty decent though. Had hoped to upgrade to projectors but I never came around to messing with the character of the car.

Voted No.

The halogens on the Golf Mk7 was not adequate at all and I have to use high beams in country roads. But after upgrading to Osram full LEDs headlamps, the low beam itself more than adequate in all conditions.

I voted NO.

Headlight of my Tigorr (one year old) is not good for highways, especially against those oncoming vehicles which most of them are equipped with upgraded headlights.

I did check with the dealer for upgrading the stock headlights to Phillips Xtreme vision bulbs, but they don't have it (and they said they don't do any bulb upgrading at their accessory section). In our area there are not many local accessory shops where I can do this work (few of them don't even know or not heard about Philips Xtreme vision bulb)

Still trying to find a way out..

My pre-facelift MY2016 Octavia's much vaunted Bi-Xenon HIDs suck big time! I am at my wit's end figuring out how to improve them. Even replacement D3S bulbs imported from the UK have not really improved matters on a colleague's car.

So I am stuck for the time being.

Low beam LEDs on my 320D are just inadequate even, the throw is worse than a Mahindra.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nerd1200 (Post 4475384)
OEM Headlights in the two cars I've owned - NO!

1. Hyundai Accent - OEM 60/55W were not adequate; Upgraded to Osram NBUs. The brightness increased a bit but still not adequate; Finally changed the headlights (since I noticed issues with the reflectors) and upgraded to 100/90W Philips Rallye with Hella relay. That was the best combination IMO for the Accent.

I have a 2011 i20 and facing a similar issue.
Since I've been driving more on highways recently it's become necessary to upgrade and I was looking at the exact same upgrade, and I have a couple of questions.
Why do we need the relay and does it have any effect on the life of the battery?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalash_6324 (Post 4862413)
Since I've been driving more on highways recently it's become necessary to upgrade and I was looking at the exact same upgrade, and I have a couple of questions.
Why do we need the relay and does it have any effect on the life of the battery?

Hi Kailash,
It needs a relay since you're drawing more power than the original circuit was designed to handle and could potentially burn it. It wouldn't impact battery life AFAIK.

Also ensure to upgrade the bulb holder to a ceramic one. Plastic will melt off really quickly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nerd1200 (Post 4862513)
Hi Kailash,
It needs a relay since you're drawing more power than the original circuit was designed to handle and could potentially burn it. It wouldn't impact battery life AFAIK.

Also ensure to upgrade the bulb holder to a ceramic one. Plastic will melt off really quickly.

Appreciate the help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalash_6324 (Post 4862413)

I need to caution you on this though. I used to run 100/90s on my 2009 i10 with a relay and all, but in just 2 years of use, it created a burn spot inside my reflector. Ultimately I had to change the whole headlight unit to get this sorted.

So I have refrained from upgrading on both my Verna Fluidic as well as Grand i10. Both these are very adequate in a city (I live mostly in Hyd), but not at all suitable for the dimly lit, median-less highways in Kerala.

I drove down from Hyd to KL recently, the last stretch through Kuthiran ghats was nothing less than torture ; couldn't spot most of the pot holes till it was too late.

I'm really happy with stock projectors setup in my elite i20. It's a single filament 60w with solenoid actuators for high beam. Throw is very good - a boon when driving at speed. The fogs are great at taking care of the spread. I rarely use fogs though as the headlights are enough for most situations.

A special mention needs to be made about the cornering lights. Recently, I was driving down 40 hairpin bends in the night and at every turn, the cornering light took care of the edges. Without it, there was no way to know where the road ended around a corner.

Voted YES

Clocked 1000 kms with Hyundai Verna 2020 SX & surprisingly pleased with its headlight setup.

Projector fogs felt useless, just for show. Front DRL gave more illumination compared these stock projector fogs running normal yellow halogen.

However, stock headlights with halogen projector setup is just awesome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Boss (Post 4474315)
To me it's a mixed opinion.

On all our cars with twin barrel head lamps (Civic, Linea, Corolla), I'm satisfied with the OE headlamp.

Seriously! The Civic was absolutely horrible! The dipper in particular!