Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Are you happy with your OEM Headlights?
Yes 131 23.91%
No 417 76.09%
Voters: 548. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2019, 03:14   #136
BHPian

re: Are you happy with your OEM headlights?

Not at all. I previously owned a Tata Indica Vista and was so happy with the lights. While driving I used to get amazed by the Projector headlights about how cool they look. Now, I own the Tata Nexon XZ+ which has Projectors for Low beams and I think I was so wrong that they only look fancy however not practical especially with a 55w bulb. With my Vista I never felt the need of driving on high beam however this is not the case with Nexon. The low beams are inadequate and goes from bad to worse during rains. I am planning to upgrade to a higher wattage bulb soon for low beams.
Old 21st August 2019, 15:29   #137
BHPian

Voted No

I own a 2017 model Suzuki Baleno Delta and the headlights are very poor.
Old 26th September 2019, 14:30   #138
BHPian

Voted No.

The Projector headlight setup was one of the flagship features on my Ciaz which was retailed in 2016. However this flagship feature in real world turned to be a mere on-paper warrior.

The halogens threw a beam of feeble intensity which was of no considerable visual aid to the driver but instead they seem to test the driver’s low light vision, while driving. They were mediocre to say the least. Within a year of usage, their novelty value faded against practicality and stood like sore thumb taking away all pleasures of night driving.
Old 26th September 2019, 23:43   #139
Senior - BHPian

The low beam on the 8th gen Civic was always inadequate. The high beam was pretty decent though. Had hoped to upgrade to projectors but I never came around to messing with the character of the car.
Old 27th September 2019, 00:56   #140
BHPian

Voted No.

The halogens on the Golf Mk7 was not adequate at all and I have to use high beams in country roads. But after upgrading to Osram full LEDs headlamps, the low beam itself more than adequate in all conditions.
Old 24th November 2019, 13:49   #141
Senior - BHPian

I voted NO.

Headlight of my Tigorr (one year old) is not good for highways, especially against those oncoming vehicles which most of them are equipped with upgraded headlights.

I did check with the dealer for upgrading the stock headlights to Phillips Xtreme vision bulbs, but they don't have it (and they said they don't do any bulb upgrading at their accessory section). In our area there are not many local accessory shops where I can do this work (few of them don't even know or not heard about Philips Xtreme vision bulb)

Still trying to find a way out..
Old 24th November 2019, 14:05   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

My pre-facelift MY2016 Octavia's much vaunted Bi-Xenon HIDs suck big time! I am at my wit's end figuring out how to improve them. Even replacement D3S bulbs imported from the UK have not really improved matters on a colleague's car.

So I am stuck for the time being.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 00:17   #143
BHPian

Low beam LEDs on my 320D are just inadequate even, the throw is worse than a Mahindra.
Old 11th August 2020, 22:59   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
OEM Headlights in the two cars I've owned - NO!

1. Hyundai Accent - OEM 60/55W were not adequate; Upgraded to Osram NBUs. The brightness increased a bit but still not adequate; Finally changed the headlights (since I noticed issues with the reflectors) and upgraded to 100/90W Philips Rallye with Hella relay. That was the best combination IMO for the Accent.
I have a 2011 i20 and facing a similar issue.
Since I've been driving more on highways recently it's become necessary to upgrade and I was looking at the exact same upgrade, and I have a couple of questions.
Why do we need the relay and does it have any effect on the life of the battery?

Last edited by Samurai : 12th August 2020 at 00:09. Reason: fixed quote
Old 12th August 2020, 08:24   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalash_6324 View Post
Since I've been driving more on highways recently it's become necessary to upgrade and I was looking at the exact same upgrade, and I have a couple of questions.
Why do we need the relay and does it have any effect on the life of the battery?
Hi Kailash,
It needs a relay since you're drawing more power than the original circuit was designed to handle and could potentially burn it. It wouldn't impact battery life AFAIK.

Also ensure to upgrade the bulb holder to a ceramic one. Plastic will melt off really quickly.
Old 12th August 2020, 11:14   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
Hi Kailash,
It needs a relay since you're drawing more power than the original circuit was designed to handle and could potentially burn it. It wouldn't impact battery life AFAIK.

Also ensure to upgrade the bulb holder to a ceramic one. Plastic will melt off really quickly.
Appreciate the help.
Old 14th December 2020, 20:27   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalash_6324 View Post
I need to caution you on this though. I used to run 100/90s on my 2009 i10 with a relay and all, but in just 2 years of use, it created a burn spot inside my reflector. Ultimately I had to change the whole headlight unit to get this sorted.

So I have refrained from upgrading on both my Verna Fluidic as well as Grand i10. Both these are very adequate in a city (I live mostly in Hyd), but not at all suitable for the dimly lit, median-less highways in Kerala.

I drove down from Hyd to KL recently, the last stretch through Kuthiran ghats was nothing less than torture ; couldn't spot most of the pot holes till it was too late.
autotranny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 09:35   #148
Senior - BHPian

I'm really happy with stock projectors setup in my elite i20. It's a single filament 60w with solenoid actuators for high beam. Throw is very good - a boon when driving at speed. The fogs are great at taking care of the spread. I rarely use fogs though as the headlights are enough for most situations.

A special mention needs to be made about the cornering lights. Recently, I was driving down 40 hairpin bends in the night and at every turn, the cornering light took care of the edges. Without it, there was no way to know where the road ended around a corner.

Voted YES
Old 15th December 2020, 09:52   #149
BHPian

Clocked 1000 kms with Hyundai Verna 2020 SX & surprisingly pleased with its headlight setup.

Projector fogs felt useless, just for show. Front DRL gave more illumination compared these stock projector fogs running normal yellow halogen.

However, stock headlights with halogen projector setup is just awesome.
Old 15th December 2020, 10:03   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
To me it's a mixed opinion.

On all our cars with twin barrel head lamps (Civic, Linea, Corolla), I'm satisfied with the OE headlamp.

Seriously! The Civic was absolutely horrible! The dipper in particular!
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks