Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: Are you happy with your OEM Headlights?
Yes 131 23.91%
No 417 76.09%
Voters: 548. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2018, 00:36   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Are you happy with your OEM headlights?

Well, to an extent it’s exactly how Scorpion has iterated the whole scenario! To an extent, it all depends on the mindset. Most of the times, it all boils down to this attitude “Mine’s bigger than yours” thingy in our country. So, if one light hits me in the eye, I upgrade to blind the opposite with a brighter light from my car or bike. Somewhere the concept of practicality takes backseat. But, the LED and HID’s are a bit attractive in the current age of cars. Those blue sparkling tint of lights coming from projectors attract the eyes instantly and people want to go ahead with it despite not knowing the technicalities of it. Anything at or below 4300k is good in HID/LED. Anything beyond this scale, is utterly useless. I like LED/HID over conventional halogens as I’m using one of it on my car already. Lighting surely has improved but I’ve been using it diligently when I am on highway to ensure not to blind any oncoming road colleagues! But it does prove to be marginally useless during heavy downpour and make us wish to have a set of switchable halogen bulbs

As for the voting goes;
No - wasn’t satisfied with OEM set.
Hence, the upgrade to LED sets on my Brezza.

Last edited by gururajrv : 10th October 2018 at 00:40.
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 01:48   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
As a result, there isn't the opportunity to assess the performance of headlights. Other metrics like space, comfort no doubt influence buying decisions, so imagine what it would mean to a potential buyer to read under 'Cons': "The headlights are rubbish, their throw is inadequate on the highway".
A failed sale is the most effective feedback mechanism for a seller
Absolutely! Spot on! Very valid point you have made here. While practically a good pair of headlights is of utmost importance, and should be one of the most important aspects of a car, in reality, it is given least importance. May be because we take it for granted that the lights will be good. Easy availability of an upgrade could be another reason. Ignorance could be another.

But thoughtless upgradation like plonking 6000k HIDs into reflectors only worsens the situation. It is a skewed perception that white light means bright lights and bling bling lights. They only result in a most annoying pair of headlights and a nuisance to on coming traffic. As highway speeds increase the need for a good pair of headlights is a necessity and not a luxury. Poor lights mean fatigue from straining and consequently result in dangerous situations.

Some people have found the Ecosport's headlights good. But my sisters 2017 Ecosport Titanium came with reflector halogen lights as good as birthday candles. Immediately switched them to Night breakers. Now they are as bright as slightly bigger candles. No better. Highway in the night is a disaster. But fortunately she hardly takes the car beyond Kochi where they are presently posted. Have advised her to upgrade soonest. To what, I have not yet decided. Higher wattage seems to be only option or replacement of the entire headlight assembly to projectors and HIDs. Am averse to LEDs for some reason.
SCORPION is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 01:59   #78
BHPian

I'm super happy with the LEDs on my Acura but I was never happy with the regular halogen headlights on ANY of my cars while I was in India. I think the LEDs are way better than even the Xenons that were the craze for a while. I think India of all countries needs to equip all the cars and bikes with auto leveling LED lights with active high beam assist. That's the only way to deal with the high beam menace. I often wonder how many accidents are caused because of being blinded by oncoming traffic.
Old 10th October 2018, 02:29   #79
BHPian

I have a mixed response.
1. Škoda superb - Bixenon projector headlamps really aid in providing a confidence inspiring illumination at night. The AFS and cornering fog lamps also help a lot.

2. Toyota Fortuner - Projector headlamps with HID’s for low beams. The throw is good which may be partly due to the reason that the headlights are placed much higher vis a vis a low slung sedan?They do light up the road in front but occasionally you have to switch to the high beams .
Superb is much better in this regard as the spread of low beam is so good that one hardly uses high beam.

3. Volkswagen Jetta - I drive a Comfortline Jetta which has halogen headlamps. I do not at all feel confident driving at high but legal speeds at night.
I sometimes regret not having purchased the Highline just because of this reason.
Don’t get me wrong , the car is phenomenal , the manual gearbox has really puts a smile to your face and the car is built to do good speeds out on the highway,but if only she had the headlights to match.

4. Hyundai Verna - The Verna is the newest purchase of the lot and I have to say that it took me a couple of months to short list the car and I must have taken multiple ( day ) test drives of the SX(O) model, the one equipped with projector headlamps and foglamps.
I was really dissatisfied with the throw of the lights after I took delivery. Even though it’s a projector set up but still the road illumination leaves much to be desired . I remember I had to actually stop the car and fiddle with the headlight leveller switch but still the lightning she provides is not satisfactory. Comparing with the Honda, the LED headlights on the City are so better.
Though I doubt that I would have changed my decision even if I had taken a night test drive as the Verna checks all my requirements, still I have learned to always take a TD at night to check out the headlamps before purchasing a vehicle .
Old 10th October 2018, 03:19   #80
BHPian

My observation is that car headlights are really not adequate for highway speeds on poorly lit roads.

While I prefer to avoid nighttime driving on highways, I follow the sweeper car technique if I have to.
AVIS is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 08:07   #81
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Ford Figo- Pathetic headlamps. Even with a 100/90 setup the throw is pathetic thanks to the weird reflector design. Need to add AUX lamps or aftermarket projectors in fogs.

Toyota Corolla- The double barrel setup is amazing. With the current 4300K LED setup it performs really well. No complaints here.
Old 10th October 2018, 08:58   #82
Senior - BHPian

No, I am not satisfied with the lights of our cars. They do the job but every time there is a feeling that it could have been better. Also, whenever we have got these from the showroom, for some reason or the other; the lights have pointed more towards the sky, by default. They needed corrections to get them back on the road.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 09:30   #83
Team-BHP Support

Voted Yes. [As my main ride does highway duties].

1st gen Figo [sold] - Guys were unhappy with it, but with the combo of fog lamps plus the headlamp, I found the headlamps to be ok.

Scorpio S10 4WD - absolutely brilliant headlamps, I couldn't have asked for more.

Swift ZXi+ - to the people/drivers coming from opposite direction, it appears as piercing and to some extent premium but illumination wise, I think even the Figo was better.

2 wheels? The current FZ-25 is the worst, no illumination at all, its scary on highways. The CBR - 250R had pretty good headlamps. I had to upgrade my R15 to crystal vision and then illumination improved.
Old 10th October 2018, 10:17   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

The old man who taught me in driving school told me that it does not matter who is coming from the other side or how fast, you are supposed to concentrate on your side of the road, ensure you have enough space to go. This instruction at night means you have to make conscious effort to look away from the bright spots that your eyes are drawn to.

It is dangerous to use high beams with the ' High beams always' types. Let me explain.

I know of some people who cannot see properly at night but still drives, they use high beams most of the time. These guys go blind momentarily if you use high beams on them , from whatever mathematics I know - One blind fellow is better than two.

Flick the lights once at a high beam fellow , if they don't respond just slow down and be safe.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 11:07   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Good thread.

I am definitely NOT satisfied with the stock lighting on my S-Cross. My swift was equally bad.

Currently contemplating some upgrade, let's see.
Do let me know if you find an alternative / solution to the lighting on S-Cross. I am as well looking for an upgrade, but inputs from vendors on aftermarket stuff is not satisfactory.
Old 10th October 2018, 11:55   #86
BHPian

I am very much satisfied with OEM Headlights in my new Ford Ecosport.
Old 10th October 2018, 12:19   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish_symc View Post
I am very much satisfied with OEM Headlights in my new Ford Ecosport.
+1. Agree that New EcoSport addressed the headlight issue that was present in older ones. Although the want for more is always there , but still OEM headlights are good.

-Ravi
Old 10th October 2018, 14:12   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post

In fact, I don't really need better lighting from my cars. For example, the lighting in the Vento is manageable, ONLY IF, all other cars on the road have the similar subtle lights. It becomes unmanageable is when you have a blinding light opposite to you.
This is the crux of the issue.
It is the nuclear arms race of brighter and more powerful headlights that is the cause of most issues.

In pitch dark condition, one requires very small amount of light to see ... but when there is light pollution everywhere on the road then even floodlights may not be sufficient.
Old 10th October 2018, 16:07   #89
BHPian

From day-1, was unhappy with the stock lamps. Changed the stock bulbs to Philips Extreme Vision within few months of purchasing. That's somewhat better, but still a huge scope for improvement.
Old 10th October 2018, 16:41   #90
BHPian

Not happy with mu Duster'16 headlights. Swapped the bulbs with Osram NB (H1 & H7). The low beam is somewhat better, but still not happy with the high beam (H1). Also, off topic, my RHS beam focuses a little bit lower than the LHS. Is it normal?

Most Viewed