Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2007, 00:31   #1
BHPian

Elantra Turbo Trouble

Hi! I am an owner of Elanta CRDi which was bought on April, 2005 and since then it has clogged 52000 kms. But during its life span it has encountered numerous problems.
Whenever i drive it at around 170kmph, engine check light switches on and the engine looses its power. At first the problem was traced to the exhaust system and it was replaced. Then the same problem happened again, this time the car refused to go over 40kmph in the second gear, 60kmph in the third, 80 in the fourth and 120kmph in the fifth gear.
The problem of engine loosing power was now traced to failed turbo. So the turbo was replaced. Since then the car was running fine.
And once suddenly the problem cropped up once again and this time there was thick Grey gas coming out of the exhaust whenever the car is running or idle. I contacted the dealer and gave my car for troubleshooting, but this time they also traced the problem to a fault turbo charger. The turbo which have been fitted earlier had failed in just 6 months and 10000kms!!!
And after fitting the second turbocharger, though the car is under warranty, the car is still loosing its power at high speeds and still continues to emit dark Grey exhaust gas.
Please help.....What could be done about this problem. Is there any way to solve it...
Old 15th January 2007, 09:19   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavit46 View Post
And once suddenly the problem cropped up once again and this time there was thick Grey gas coming out of the exhaust whenever the car is running or idle. I contacted the dealer and gave my car for troubleshooting, but this time they also traced the problem to a fault turbo charger. The turbo which have been fitted earlier had failed in just 6 months and 10000kms!!!
And after fitting the second turbocharger, though the car is under warranty, the car is still loosing its power at high speeds and still continues to emit dark Grey exhaust gas.
Please help.....What could be done about this problem. Is there any way to solve it...
Sounds like worn turbo seals and bearings. After a high speed run, do you let the car ide for a couple of minutes before switching off? Turbo needs to be cooled down by letting the oil circulate and remove the heat and let the bearings cool evenly
Old 15th January 2007, 10:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
After a high speed run, do you let the car ide for a couple of minutes before switching off? Turbo needs to be cooled down by letting the oil circulate and remove the heat and let the bearings cool evenly
What??
Even for a car like Elantra???........ even after paying 10lakhs???
Is that the case with the all the turbocharged cars?? or is it only for the deisels??
And what about cars like MB, BMW,.....???
Old 15th January 2007, 10:27   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
What??
Even for a car like Elantra???........ even after paying 10lakhs???
Is that the case with the all the turbocharged cars?? or is it only for the deisels??
And what about cars like MB, BMW,.....???
Mercs diesels are watercooled so not an issue. BMW diesels d burn their turbos although it is overengineered to avoid this.

Note - smokey turbo - poor seals, no power - failed bearings
Old 15th January 2007, 11:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Typically this would be because of non supply of oil for lubrication of the turbine bearings, or excessive exhaust temps which I do not think is true in your case. best way to check would be to remove the oil supply line to the turbo and check for oil flowing out and its pressure on idle.
Old 15th January 2007, 15:28   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Sounds like worn turbo seals and bearings. After a high speed run, do you let the car ide for a couple of minutes before switching off? Turbo needs to be cooled down by letting the oil circulate and remove the heat and let the bearings cool evenly
Yes, I do let the turbo cool down for about 30 seconds before turning off the car. And also i let the car idle at the first start before driving it off.
Old 15th January 2007, 15:32   #7
BHPian

Thanks Psycho. I would check whether the oil is flowing out of the turbo and its pressure on idle. Would keep you updated on the issue.
Old 15th January 2007, 20:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavit46 View Post
Hi! I am an owner of Elanta CRDi which was bought on April, 2005 and since then it has clogged 52000 kms. But during its life span it has encountered numerous problems.
Whenever i drive it at around 170kmph, engine check light switches on and the engine looses its power. At first the problem was traced to the exhaust system and it was replaced. Then the same problem happened again, this time the car refused to go over 40kmph in the second gear, 60kmph in the third, 80 in the fourth and 120kmph in the fifth gear. ..
What kind of rpms are you doing here. I would suggest easing up on the speed a little bit, maybe keep it below 150. Looks like the oil pump is cavitating at high speeds and starving the turbo. Also try switching to a hi performance oil like Mobil Delvac synthetic.
Old 15th January 2007, 22:08   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
What kind of rpms are you doing here. I would suggest easing up on the speed a little bit, maybe keep it below 150. Looks like the oil pump is cavitating at high speeds and starving the turbo. Also try switching to a hi performance oil like Mobil Delvac synthetic.
I am doing around 3000 rom and around 160kmph.
Old 16th January 2007, 07:53   #10

its a clogged oil feed line

yes its a clogged oil feed line to the turbo, normally when at a dealer replaces the any part in your case the turbo tries to just keep the cost low so i'm pretty much sure that the turbo was only replaced not the hoses or feed lines
try replacing the feed lines and try flushing your engine oil will some kind of cleanin agent ment for your car that should take care of the shaving and the dirt that is in the crank case and oil pump area and will stop the feed lines to get clogged
i hope this helps
hit me up and let me know how it goes

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks